Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times

Advertisements

Anymore updates or pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,318,644 times
Not sure what kind of update you need. The leaves are turning colors now (and dropping). They will continue to change colors for a few more weeks, as they fall off the trees. Driving around Knoxville today, I noticed some areas have a lot more color change than others. I'm guessing peak will be in the next two weeks, but it also depends on what the weather does too.

Predicting peak color is kind of like predicting when we will get the first snow.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:15 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,795,197 times
Tops of the highest peaks appear to be pretty orange and gold at a distance, at least at sunrise. I had to head over to NC early, really early. The mid range areas have got a few absolutely beautiful trees and the lower ranges some of the dogwoods have turned an gorgeous crimson. The earliest maples are also turning at the mid and lower ranges with incredibly bright colors that aren't fading right away. It's peak color at the tops of the mountains but peak color is still a way off at the mid altitudes. For the lower areas I'd guess a good ten days or more right now since an awful lot of the trees appear to be green. That's the color report. Didn't take the camera so no pics, sorry.

The leaf peeper report is that there are tons of them out and all of them are driving very slowly an making sudden stops in the most unexpected places (like the back end of blind curves!!!). I understand Cade's Cove has become a moving parking lot but didn't go there.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
I was in the Maggie Valley today (Sunday 10/17) and on the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 30 miles beginning in the Maggie Valley and heading further in to North Carolina. It's peak to post peak right now. The colors are more vivid closer to Cherokee than 30 miles futher into North Carolina. I did not come through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I went I-40 to Exit 20 in NC.

Meanwhile, here in Oak Ridge, still not full color yet.

It's still peaking earlier than last year, in my opinion. Forget Halloween week. Get out this week if you can.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,736 times
We hiked to the top of Mt Leconte yesterday, and the colors were absolutely breathtaking at the higher elevations! We were also able to see ridgetops all around Mt Leconte, and they were painted with the most beautiful reds. So, for hiking, mid and upper elevations are great right now.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 AM

101 posts, read 325,974 times
Drove from Gatlinburg side through to Cherokee, Maggie Valley, etc. Gatlinburg side seems almost to peak, Clingman's dome and higher elevations seems past peak, but Cherokee and Maggie Valley seemed at peak of not a little past.

Here in Morristown area still not quite to peak yet. lot of trees half orange half green, some red some full green.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the updates. I was hoping to get there this week, but not looking good. Would I have a chance to see colors the first week of Nov or that will most likely too late. I will be driving up through the GA mountains and wondering if they will have any color.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,795,197 times
Becky the colors are still increasing in some places. I checked back with pictures I took last year and found some of the prettiest colors in the mid to lower elevations were just around Halloween. You may be lucky and catch the the tail end of the color. The upper mountains will most likely be bare but still worth seeing on a clear day. The lower elevations (valleys) may still be pretty.

I took some more recent pictures over the last couple of days. Since I had already posted in the general TN forum for fall color I don't want to re-post all the pictures here, too. Here's the link to the post instead:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/16335592-post15.html

Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM

[quote=J&Em;16337747]Becky the colors are still increasing in some places. I checked back with pictures I took last year and found some of the prettiest colors in the mid to lower elevations were just around Halloween. You may be lucky and catch the the tail end of the color. The upper mountains will most likely be bare but still worth seeing on a clear day. The lower elevations (valleys) may still be pretty.

I took some more recent pictures over the last couple of days. Since I had already posted in the general TN forum for fall color I don't want to re-post all the pictures here, too. Here's the link to the post instead:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/16335592-post15.html[/QUOTE

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM

101 posts, read 325,974 times
A lot of trees are just starting to hit peak in the Morristown area, a few still combo orange/green, some brilliant red, some full green and some red/green. Probably go hiking at Panther Creek on Saturday.

Might take a ride over to Cade's Cove on Sunday, if nothing else because we like the drive. Any guess to the color situation there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville