Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM

60 posts, read 146,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks for the updates. I was hoping to get there this week, but not looking good. Would I have a chance to see colors the first week of Nov or that will most likely too late. I will be driving up through the GA mountains and wondering if they will have any color.
Georgia is a lil farther south and a lil lower in elevation. Therefore, I say you'll have plenty of pretty trees to look at over the next couple of weeks.

Georgia Fall Foliage Tours, Guides, Maps, Directions, Webcams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
You guys rock!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Are you guys past peak yet or still have color? Have the leaves fallen?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM

101 posts, read 297,789 times
After the storms from yesterday, many of the leaves have fallen, but some areas still have trees with color. I would consider it to be past peak, with less-and-less leaves each day. Still beautiful though.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_KNOX View Post
Georgia is a lil farther south and a lil lower in elevation. Therefore, I say you'll have plenty of pretty trees to look at over the next couple of weeks.

Georgia Fall Foliage Tours, Guides, Maps, Directions, Webcams
Actually, much of northern GA is higher in elevation than the TN valley. Atlanta is higher in elevation than Knoxville.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
After the storms from yesterday, many of the leaves have fallen, but some areas still have trees with color. I would consider it to be past peak, with less-and-less leaves each day. Still beautiful though.
Maples and ash are past peak, other trees have not even begun to color yet.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Maples and ash are past peak, other trees have not even begun to color yet.
Oh good! Thanks for the update. So, you think in about a week, I'll be able to still catch color?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
I drove to the mountains Sunday, the colors down in the valley seemed bleak but I drove up the foothills parkway anyway. As usual, the colors were wonderful there. Seems counter intuitive but maybe colorful trees were planted when the road was built. Or it's the climate or something. I was not disappointed and reccomend that drive. it is between 321 and 129.

Closer to home, I see the leaves are colorful at the top of Cherokee trail, not so much at the bottom. Does being drier have an effect on fall colors?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 AM

101 posts, read 297,789 times
I was in the Smokies this past weekend (Friday and Saturday). Although many trees have lost all their leaves, there are plenty of trees with yellows, oranges, reds, greens, and an odd off-white color (on some). I'm glad I took the trip ... beautiful as always. As for my lunch, it wasn't so good. I went to Huck Finn's Catfish and it wasn't too good, but the place has pretty good reviews on Google. I went to the Donut Friar to make up for it

Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
We were in Gatlinburg on Sunday. There were trees that were still green, some were yellow, a few orange and a lot were brown and dead or already gone.

It is about the same in Knoxville. Maybe more green trees. My neighborhood looks a little better, but I have two yellow maples and my neighbor has a red maple.

I thought that perhaps there would be some decent colors this year, but we did have a couple of dry months at the end of summer and we are in drought conditions, again, although not as bad as years past. I'm starting to wonder if the past six years were bad because of conditions or if this is just the way that it is around here. In New England there are lots and lots of maples and I think that makes all the difference. Just STUNNING colors in the northeast.

It was still a very enjoyable experience visiting Gatlinburg but I can't shake the feeling of knowing that I have seen so much better. Like I said, it might just be the conditions. I know the first year we were here we visited the Smokys the first weekend in November and it was so much nicer than anything we have seen since, so it just may be the darn drought.

And this year it seemed like the timing was odd. My yellow maples lost their leaves faster than normal and the hickory trees went brown early so that they took away from the color of the trees that usually look nice. I have a lot of oak and hickory on my land and they just turn brown and the leaves fall off. Yuck. My neighbor's red maple was really odd this year. Part of it turned red, part of it orange, and half of it was still green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville