Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:03 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,531,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just have to put a plug in for our local cops. I think they are some of the best. In fact, if you pray, say a prayer for an officer that was shot two days ago. I believe that he is still in critical condition.
I will keep that officer in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
He is doing well. He is at UTMedical. He came up on a home burglary. It is not the first time he has been shot. Bless his heart. I think he will pull through.

And by the way, the killer was caught. And when the criminal kills someone other than a police officer, well, they get them, too.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
He is doing well. He is at UTMedical. He came up on a home burglary. It is not the first time he has been shot. Bless his heart. I think he will pull through.

And by the way, the killer was caught. And when the criminal kills someone other than a police officer, well, they get them, too.
I am very happy to hear that he is doing well, and that the guy was caught. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

Does anyone know if the original poster is still looking for this information? The post was from a year ago, but I went ahead and answered since it was still going. Surely someone can benefit from it... well at least I hope so 'cause I just spent alot of time digging up info and posting it.

Last edited by fallfanatic; 05-25-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: I have spelling issues...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 PM
H10

89 posts, read 307,072 times
I've lived in New York, Nashville and Fort Lauderdale, FL. I now have lived in East Tennessee for three years and really like it. I think I can give a fairly unbiased assessment, because I don't see either K*ville or Chatt as my "hometown" or "rival city."

Chattanooga has a prettier downtown. No doubt about it. From my observations, and from what my friends who grew up there tell me, Chatt's downtown has three sections, the first is disgusting, just a few blocks, but it's clearly "slummy" with gang-looking folks about and dilapidated buildings. I doubt any of you are interested in that part, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Then there's the yuppie/UTC Graduate student area amongst the touristy geared area. It is very pretty, just off of beautiful bridges, however from an NY/FL view, it can not be deemed a real nightlife town. A couple of hours post-midnight, only about three bars are opened downtown.

Knoxville has an up-and-coming downtown. Market Square and the World's Fair Park (each recently redeveloped), in appearance, rival any city's downtown discounting FL, TX & CA. While only about four large full blocks maintain the upscale and beautiful atmosphere, they are filled with nice restaurants (some exceeding $100 for a dinner for two), an outdoor ice skating rink in winter, an upscale movie theater, and just what you'd expect from any Metropolis' cultural (operas, orchestras, museums, musical theaters) and nightlife offerings (only 4-solid blocks, rather than dozen(s) in major cities). Still, not as pretty as Chattanooga's. I consider Chattanooga's downtown to be more of a "New Urbanist mixed-use development," (like a less pretty Riverwalk (FL/TX) or City Place (FL)) where Knoxville's is aiming more towards a Manhattan feel.

Knoxville's downtown also has the "Old City" section. Which is dilapidated, extremely impoverished and intersects with the upscale section. Surprisingly, some very expensive restaurants are within the Old City, which is also just ugly.

While I understand the very poor & rich statement about Chattanooga, there's one caveat... As a young adult (under 30) with substantial funds, I could easily drop a couple of thousand dollars in one solid day in Knoxville (I don't, not often anyway. But if not careful, I could). Between the pseudo-high end shopping (high-end for East TN) to a couple of $70 meals for two, to a few drinks and cover charges at some bars/clubs, you've spent many hundreds. Chattanooga isn't conducive to that lifestyle, perhaps with family living, but not as a young person. I also know for a fact that Knoxville is home to several billionaires, and scores of multi-millionaires, so the "middle class" statement is flawed in my opinion.

If you're a sports fan it's Knoxville hands down. I have New Yorker relatives and friends who've made the trip to Neyland Stadium.

All-in-all if you want to live in an up-and-coming Metropolis (Forbes named Knoxville among the top 10 growing Metropolises) with a secondary College Downtown (the Strip, not mentioned above), sports, a smaller Primary Downtown, with some less desirable areas then Knoxville's for you. Above middle-class without a family, I'd recommend living on Gay St. with lofts and Apts. ranging from the high 200s to $1m+. With a family West Knoxville/Farragut are your only options. Homes range from the 300s to $4m+.

If you want to live in a town with a beautiful, river/water oriented downtown, that is solidly nice, with a more laid-back, Southern-charm atmosphere, then it's Chattanooga.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Just wondering...

Hik...can you give us an update on the officer??

Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM

780 posts, read 1,758,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Hik...can you give us an update on the officer??
I'm not Hik but just heard on the news that he is doing better which is wonderful news.

My son in law is an officer(a Major)and my daughter was a deputy up until two years ago when she got married so I certainly understand how the department feels, they are all family and when one gets hurt its the same as a family member. Prayers have been great I know and they feel he will make a good recovery.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
I'm not Hik but just heard on the news that he is doing better which is wonderful news.

My son in law is an officer(a Major)and my daughter was a deputy up until two years ago when she got married so I certainly understand how the department feels, they are all family and when one gets hurt its the same as a family member. Prayers have been great I know and they feel he will make a good recovery.
I'm so glad to hear that!! Thank you for letting me know. I'm gonna continue to pray for him and his family, because I know that works. Will you keep me posted please? (You can send me a DM)
BTW, I know your not Hik...LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM

780 posts, read 1,758,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
I'm so glad to hear that!! Thank you for letting me know. I'm gonna continue to pray for him and his family, because I know that works. Will you keep me posted please? (You can send me a DM)
BTW, I know your not Hik...LOL
, guess you did know, LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
, guess you did know, LOL

I couldn't resist....

Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
I haven't heard of an update, but I assume he is holding his own.

Last edited by hiknapster; 05-30-2008 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville