Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

Advertisements

Great posts from everyone. I absolutely agree with every word and that leaves me little to say.

Somehow, though, I managed to come up with a few things.

Most people with a high school education - and less - know to check facts and not depend on rumors. And they certainly know not to base a question on rumor and post it to a public forum.

Now that they have those new-fangled interwebs you can find in a few minutes that Knox County - and even Anderson - have very low rates of cancer.

Of course anyone that hasn't lived under a rock for the last 10 years knows that the corporate culture at Walmart is brutal. That is not based on rumor, either, but credible publications and news sources. I have seen a couple of current executives state that working for corporate Walmart is difficult, at best. So considering the opportunity to work for them as a plus is odd.

Perhaps research is not your forte.

I've had numerous clients in Arkansas and if you think this is a tough crowd, try living over there. Appalachia has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, I think it is a shame every time I see someone try to put on airs and not be proud of where they come from and their heritage.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I think Arkansas might be a better pick for you.

The hillbillys around Knoxville usually carry guns, and don't take kindly to outsiders "talkin bad bout their kin". Of course, they are usually too drunk on moonshine to aim worth a hoot, but they are known to get a lucky shot in once in a while. The toxic waste and in-breeding has also caused them to be a bit cranky too.

Yep, Arkansas is probably a better fit.
Arkansas is very similar to WV in attitude and cultural lifestyle from my observations of visits to both places, and having interacted with people from both.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:09 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I think Arkansas might be a better pick for you.

The hillbillys around Knoxville usually carry guns, and don't take kindly to outsiders "talkin bad bout their kin". Of course, they are usually too drunk on moonshine to aim worth a hoot, but they are known to get a lucky shot in once in a while. The toxic waste and in-breeding has also caused them to be a bit cranky too.

Yep, Arkansas is probably a better fit.

Well DANG Spider- what do you expect? Shootin' at deer with four eyes gets a BIT confusin'. You never know which set to aim between!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:07 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,265 times
Just go ahead and move to NC or GA as the majority of your constituents have done. You'll fit in much more, there. Is it state law that WV'ians have to move South?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,249 times
You guys are the greatest!! I really needed a good laugh today, and you provided it.

Now, this hillbilly is going back to work (and yes, we actually have jobs here. Not all of us make moonshine and/or sit around and play the banjo all day).

Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM

345 posts, read 922,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
You guys are the greatest!! I really needed a good laugh today, and you provided it.

Now, this hillbilly is going back to work (and yes, we actually have jobs here. Not all of us make moonshine and/or sit around and play the banjo all day).
LOL!
I've always wanted to play the banjo.

I can whistle real good though, since I don't have many teeth.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
This thread provided some great chuckles this morning. Love RRR and her sense of humor.(Tried to rep you and Mrs. Mopar for your posts)
Pam

Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM

82 posts, read 165,202 times
WV Diva 20--sent you a direct msg.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 19,528 times
Reply to most comments above:

I don't know what to say but I wasn't trying to offend anyone about Eastern TN or Knoxville at all. I was simply asking about the prevalence of hillybillies in that part of TN; I have nothing against them.

Of course, I do my own research but I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what the residents have to say about Knoxville/Eastern TN including their responses to the rumors I heard about the pollution in the area. I guess West Virginians were unhappy about TN having less pollution so they created the rumors.

By the way, my grammar is just fine. I'm not a formal person in my online life except at work. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten my business degree with highest honor last year. LOL!

I have heard about people like me in both GA and FL. I have been there and I am not interested in living there. I have always been into Seattle and Washington State but it's so expensive to live there though plus I can't be too far from my parents due to their declining health.

By the way, I posted the same thing in Arkansas thread and I received useful answers with positive, welcoming attitudes.

Based on the posts in this thread, it seems to me that most residents in E. TN/Knoxville aren't so welcoming to outsiders even though I happen to be from Appalachia culture in WV. That's just sad.

I wish you guys the best in life!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
To be fair, I read your responses in the Arkansas forum. TWO PEOPLE answered you, and they were indeed very nice and tolerant of your ignorant, stereotyped queries. The third response was basically a troll who wanted to post a "funny" video.

And for the last time, we're HILLBILLIES, not HILLYbillies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville