Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM

950 posts, read 3,192,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Eleanor Steber, born Wheeling (1914-1990), WV, in Mozart's "Nozze de Figaro"

http://ubdigit.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/g...B=1&DMROTATE=0

Jane Hobson, mezzo-soprano, born Huntington, WV (1918-1984)
Jane Hobson (Mezzo-soprano) - Short Biography
?? What does this have with this thread?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:13 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
Jane Hobson, mezzo-soprano, born Huntington, WV (1918-1984)

1. Born in West Virginia.
2. Mezzo-soprano (would be considered a "diva")

Look DIVA up in the dictionary, and you might understand. "A leading woman singer".

So......West Virgina and singer..............wait for it.........................WVDiva

Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
So I guess the OP's excuse is she is an opera singer? I get it, now.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
So I guess the OP's excuse is she is an opera singer? I get it, now.

lol! That's just insurance- if the MBA doesn't work out....

Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,787,493 times
I've got a sneaking suspicion that what most of you are reacting to is a troll like person who is not from West Virginia. The grammar mistakes sound much more like ESL than someone actually from that state. Hillybillies was the biggest giveaway but so were certain misuses or lack of articles not common to a native speaker. A true West Virginian, coming from a state encompassing a large chunk of Appalachia, would have known what the correct word was.

Diva, Knoxville is an American city with many of the same stores, restaurants and entertainment venues as any other American city. It takes a pretty uneducated or uninformed person to make the assumption "Hillybillys" are the primary residents. A somewhat informed person also knows the term Hillbilly, whether in WV, VA or in TN refers to people 'of the mountains' and has been considered derogatory in polite company for some time now. The last I saw on a map the Appalachian mountains never extended to Arkansas so asking about Hillybilly presence there showed an incredible lack of sense, let alone geography, for someone supposedly from WV.

What most people have reacted to is the idea that people who have roots in the Appalachian region are somehow deemed as unintelligent and not proper culture. It may not be a culture you approve of is the attitude your post implies. If you had done rudimentary research on the city you would be aware that it has had all the earmarks of what is considered "culture" in much of Western Society like Opera and Symphony Orchestras. Those were here before all the Northerners came in and told the HillyBilly's to get cleaned up and stop drinking their 'shine.

It is easy to verify rumors if you are intelligent enough to use a computer and a search engine. If you are worried about pollution it is easy enough to find references and sources for quantity and type of pollution. A simple search of city data itself would turn up the information already repeated in many threads. Once you have checked real resources it might be the time to ask people living in a region if the pollution feels/seems as bad or good as the various sources make it appear. Even then a "feel" report is not always a good source as someone with a sensitivity or predisposition to illness might say it always feels terrible where as a healthy person may find no discomfort or ill effects. It isn't Mexico City, does that help?

If a distantly possible job with Walmart ranks so high in your estimation, even if it isn't as an associate, then your diva attitudes are seriously misplaced. You unfortunate self appellation certainly hasn't helped get you responses either.

My recommendation is skip the south entirely and go directly to a place like NY or one of several California cities where everyone is "highly educated" just like you and every fancy restaurant you desire is available if you have money or a rich boyfriend. When you are ready to search for a place where there are down to earth people with more plebeian tastes, who take a genuine interest in their neighbors, and when you want to be where plenty of quiet, educated people reside and beautiful scenery abounds, then come back and ask about Knoxville.

Diva if your questions were truly meant as research, then think about your approach. If you approach a town's residents saying "My friends tell me this place is disgusting, foul with pollution, and I think mostly ignorant wretches reside here, is it true?"... do you truly expect a warm welcome from those residents? Or were you expecting the troglodytes to hang their collective heads in shame and mumble excuses for how bad it is and warn you to run away quickly before the 'billies get you?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
Yee haw! Auntie Em! You go girl.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Not to besmirch WV, but for many the moniker WVdiva is an oxymoron of sorts.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
Didn't Paul Bunyon have one of those????

or was he a diva too?

I'm soooo confused.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Didn't Paul Bunyon have one of those????

or was he a diva too?

I'm soooo confused.
An oxymoron or an opera singer?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
OK this thread has run its course. It does sound like the OP was a troll ("hillybilly" should've been a dead giveaway) who was just out to create controversy. And she succeeded.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville