Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM

68 posts, read 346,203 times

Advertisements

I'm considering possible relocation from NYC to the Knoxville area.

I hear that utility bills are lower than average because of the TVA.

What is an average bill for electric, gas and water?
I realize this can vary; I'm talking about a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house about 1600-1800 sq. ft.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Viki-NYC

Last edited by vikinyc; 07-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM

38 posts, read 170,366 times
I don't think you will find bills lower because of TVA. You will find your heat bill lower because our winter weather is milder; however, your summer electric will be high due to air conditioning. For a 3000 sq. ft. older home with poor insulation I pay an average of $100/m for gas and about another $150/m average for electric. My water bill runs about $58/m and there are 4 of us at home. A newer home would be more efficient I am sure. I hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
I've got a 1200 sq. ft. all-electric single floor condo. My electric bill runs $50-75 a month. Had a new high-efficiency heat pump put in two years ago and replaced 25-year-old appliances with new ones. Those changes cut my electrric bill in half.
I've got huge single-pane windows, could save more if I replaced those.
I used the TVA Energy Right loan program for the heat pump. Excellent way to get a low cost loan.
I just got a KUB bill. Whipping out my calculator gives me Kilowatt hour charges of 7 cents an hour.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
The electric is low because of the TVA. The water bills are very high. Phone and cable are the same wherever you go, usually.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
There are only two of us, and we use energy efficient items (timer on hot water heater, flourescent lighting, ceiling fans, etc). Our home is brick front, vinyl on other sides, and 1800 sq ft.

Our electric bill averages $85 per month during the summer, has been as low as $48 in off-seasons, $105 was the highest in the winter.

No gas.

Water is normally about $18-20 per month (there are two of us and we have a septic system), but when we had four adult guests for a week, and were watering the new plants in the drought, the bill topped out at $68 one month. There is no savings on water here.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 22,388 times
well here in ga i live in a moble home and my mama pays apoximntly $200 for light bill and we have no gas and have well water. im hoping Tennessee will be a good place for a starting family when it starts and low prices. im gona need a 3 bed and 2 bath with a good amount of room any advice?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I know it depends on the efficiency of the gas furnace, but does anyone have an idea of how the price of gas heat compares to electric resistance heat these days?

Also ---- I know heat pumps are less efficient in cold weather - I'm wondering how to figure when it's cheaper to heat 1-2 rooms with a space heater vs the whole house with a heat pump.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Wow. Old post. I've since moved out of Powell where water is very high (Powell-Halls Water District) and have water and electric through TVA. Much, much better.

We have a heatpump, creeksitter. I don't like it. I think it makes the rooms feel cold. I discovered an incredibly cool thing about my house, though. It was built in 1955 and three of the rooms have electric heat in the CEILING. Crazy but true. I basically use those through most of the winter and the electric bills are even lower, by about at least $75 to $100. It feels great. The only thing is my family room is an add-on. It use to be a two-car garage and there is no nifty ceiling heat there. I think I am going to get a portable space heater to warm that room, if we end up staying in the house.

So yes, I saw a very big difference in bills between the first winter and the second because of the electric heat. And the first winter in this house was MUCH milder than the second winter. Now, how that translates from ceiling to space heater may be different, but I doubt it. I do not like the heat pump. Ours is an older model, too. I'm sure that doesn't help.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 153,774 times
I live in a 1800 sq ft house, two story, with 9 foot ceilings (i.e. not high). Electric ranges from $35 to $100/month. Gas ranges from $4 to $12/month. Water ranges from $35 to $80/month.

I have electric heat, gas water heater, and the water fluctuates due to watering my lawn in the summer (I have tall fescue, which needs water in the summer). Thermostat is set to 72-80 in the summer (we have a programmable) and 55-65 in the winter. Get an electric blanket in the winter. It's the biggest money saver out there.

Also, creeksitter, I would suggest not using a space heater unless if you are trying to heat a room that is completely closed off and less than 450 sq ft. (i.e. a bedroom or bathroom). Otherwise, you are wasting money.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Ha - 450 sf is half my house! Usually what I'm heating is a BR of about 100 sf or so. The problem I'm encountering is I have an addition that isn't as well insulated as the rest of the house. So when the central heat comes on it blows cold air from those rooms into the rest of the house where the thermostat is. And it blows the warm air out of the bedroom I'm heating.

I'm happy to use the heat pump when it is just a bit chilly, I understand they are very efficient when it's just a little bit cold. I'm just trying to learn the tipping point when it's better to hunker down with the space heater. Or hook up the woodstove and start a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville