U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 10,476 times

Advertisements

Hey all great forum you have here. I read through a lot of older posts but didn't see exactly what I was looking for so here's my situation...

I want to move to Tennessee in the Spring and am looking for a place to live in the area of Seiverville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Cosby, etc. I am thinking of living on a campground until I can find something more permanent and I am on a tight budget. I don't need full hookups or anything just regular tent campsite and preferably at a place that offers amenities like showers, restrooms, laundry etc but that isn't a must.

I found cosbyranch.com and it's pretty close to what I'm looking for but I'd like your opinions. They say $275 for monthly full hook ups and don't list a monthly rate for tent camping but I'm guessing they will give me a cheaper rate for a monthly tent site?

Also can anyone suggest some other places to me? I am looking for something quiet and scenic yet not TOO far from civilization as I'm going to have to find a job somewhere but don't mind commuting a little bit. My budget is $275 a month tops. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 AM

4,676 posts, read 23,961,192 times
Since they list phone numbers on their web site, I'm sure a call to them would answer all of your questions.

Moving anywhere without a job is risky, and in these economic times, maybe a little more so.
I guess a lot has to do with what your expectations and goals are. What kind of job are you looking for? Do you have enough resources ($$$$) to camp for a while until you get a job?

In the spring and summer there are a fair amount of job in that area (maybe not Cosby), but a lot of those are lower paying seasonal, tourist oriented gigs. Probably a lot of fast food jobs too.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:11 PM

1,754 posts, read 4,025,361 times
Your best bet for minimum wage type jobs (although Sevierville area does tend to pay just a bit more than that) is going to be in the more touristy areas of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and a little less so in Sevierville.
Obtaining and maintaining a place to live here is going to be impossible on that amount without a roommate or taking a room in a home somewhere. Living in a campground in a tent isn't going to be a very valid way of residing for long. I think most have limits on tent camping, whereas camper/fifth wheel camping is allowed for a longer time period. The campgrounds may also raise rates around the more tourist populated areas.
Good luck.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your replies. To answer some questions and give some more info on my plans... ( because I could really use your advice and input)...

I'm looking for any kind of job at all. Working temp jobs/multiple part time fast food/random oddjobs is definitely not a problem for me even if it's at or near minimum wage as that's what I've pretty much always done. I am certified for Television Production by an accredited college and have my own equipment so my ultimate goal is to find work in that field, which usually requires freelancing and traveling (unless I get lucky and find a job at a local studio or production company).

I have a few thousand dollars saved up and want to it go as far as possible. Buying a camper in the near future is also a probability for me.

I realize I can't afford an apartment on that kind of employment, nor would I want to be stretched so thin. So, I was thinking I could rough it for a few months in the Spring/Summer by camping (I know I could handle it) and hopefully luck into employment and be able to save a little more money. Then with the money I have saved, I would buy a Camper continue to rent a site at a campground as opposed to renting an apartment. If I have to travel for TV work this would allow me the freedom to pick up and go at anytime and it's exactly what I'm looking for. It would also save me a lot in money wasted on rent so that I could purchase my own plot of land eventually while prices are bargain basement low right now.

Anyway, that is my plan and any helpful advice or recommendations you could give would be appreciated!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Oh yea I also called cosby ranch and they said $300 a month for any campsite regardless if it's full hook ups or not. I could afford this, but can anyone recommend a place that might be cheaper? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 23,961,192 times
OK, reality check here.
I really doubt you will find any TV work in that area. TV work will likely be in the Knoxville area, but I'm guessing that those jobs are few and far between (meaning a snowballs chance..).

Find a place to rent for less than $300/month?? Really? Cheaper than a campground???? Really??

While real estate prices are really now, they will be going up. For you to say that you only have a few thousand dollars, and wanting to find somewhere cheaper than $300 in one breath, and in the next saying you want to buy a plot of land is crazy.

Sorry to be so harsh, but it really sounds like a harebrained idea to me. Assuming you could land a minimum wage job, you would likely just make ends meet, and never really get ahead.

It's one thing to "camp", but full time living in a tent is quite another. I could not imagine what it would have been like last summer to live full time in a tent.

While I do wish you well with your goals, you should really land a job before you make a move.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Ok.. maybe I did not explain myself clearly enough or you simply misunderstood.

I am not looking for a place to rent for cheaper than a $300 campground. I am asking if anybody knows a campground that costs less than $300 per month. Also, if someone could recommend a similarly priced campground in an area closer to Knoxville that may help too!

Also.. if I manage to get a job, I said would be buying a camper... not camping year long in a tent. I would only be camping in the tent during the spring and summer months and then plan to get the camper near the end of September. I understand summer might be rough full time in a tent but you do what you have to do to survive and I don't have many other options. With the economy the way it is, many people are living in tent cities these days, but as I said I plan to buy a camper and have some money at least.

Secondly... I am looking to move to this area specifically because it is NEAR Knoxville (where TV work may be possible, at least) and within driving distance to other cities that usually have freelance production work.

Yes, I have around $3,000 in cash savings, plus an emergency fund of around $1,000 in precious metals hidden away. I did not mean to imply I would be buying land anytime soon. I merely meant that I would be buying a camper, with the idea that eventually, down the road, I would be buying land since the prices are cheap. I do not believe the price of land will be increasing much over the next few years as most experts are saying economic recovery may take as long as a decade if it happens at all.

I can understand if you still think it's a crazy or unrealistic plan, well these are desperate economic times and I won't be in any sort of comfortable living situation come Spring. The reality is where I live now is very much more expensive than TN in every way imaginable. Like you said, if I could land a minimum wage job I could make ends meet, and that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm hoping that working extra jobs and or freelance work combined with cheap rent and frugal lifestyle may be enough to get ahead and live a simple modest lifestyle.

Still looking for helpful replies. Thanks!

Last edited by tnmover; 12-19-2010 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM

6,114 posts, read 10,447,815 times
I think it's do-able since you don't mind roughing it. Knoxville has lots of video production cos, so you're more likely to snag part time work here as anywhere. The problem will be when there's a time conflict between a professional gig and your grunt job.

See how optimistic I am! I'm already assuming you'll get more than one job.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 AM

745 posts, read 1,613,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmover View Post
down the road, I would be buying land since the prices are cheap. I do not believe the price of land will be increasing much over the next few years as most experts are saying economic recovery may take as long as a decade if it happens at all.
I think you may be making the wrong assumption on land prices being really cheap and not going up in price in the next few years. The opposite is probably true, depending on several factors. The entire Knox metro is growing, about 20 per cent for Knox and surrounding counties, on average, for the previous census. The current, yet to be released, census figures will differ somewhat but the long term trend is up and that portends price increases, not decreases. Land is NOT likely to be cheaper, as you suggest, in the future.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 AM

1,754 posts, read 4,025,361 times
If you could perhaps buy a camper beforehand (I know of several people who live in one year 'round) you would be much more comfortable and would be able to live in it, in a campground, for a much longer time than a tent. Our TN summer storms can be fierce in the amount of water they dump in a short period of time. Three days in a tent, under good tree cover, this past summer with the kids convinced me of that!
If I were you, i'd buy a camper (can be had around here for less than a grand, sometimes MUCH less) before coming out. Cash in the emergency fund money when prices are at the highest- don't wait until you need the money, it may be the worst time to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville