U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 18,786 times

Advertisements

We are two families who plan to move to Tennessee(preferably the Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Sevierville areas)
Would welcome any suggestions as to home rentals(mobile home rentals) and availability of jobs. I would also be interested in the schools(6th grade).
Right now, we are in Greenville, SC.
I am looking for something smaller and more laid back.
Thanks for any help.
We are really looking forward to the move.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,132,143 times
Knoxville and Greenville are very similar. Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge are beautiful, but bustling, tourist towns, with a lot of traffic and an influx of people.

I wouldn't say that any of the TN cities you've indicated are more laid-back than Greenville. Perhaps you're looking for someplace smaller and more rural in TN?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM

13,092 posts, read 37,330,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace50 View Post
We are two families who plan to move to Tennessee(preferably the Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Sevierville areas)
Would welcome any suggestions as to home rentals(mobile home rentals) and availability of jobs. I would also be interested in the schools(6th grade).
Thanks for any help.
Sevier County is definitely smaller than Knoxville or Greenville; however, because of the tourism trade Sevier County has ridiculous traffic problems.

The unemployment rate in Sevier County is low, but most of the jobs are low-paying service type jobs (hotels, restaurants, etc). What kind of job will you be looking for?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM

fortunately, I myself will not have to look for a job(disability) The people with me will be looking for jobs similar to what you have mentioned.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 PM

63 posts, read 199,764 times
Sevier County has alot of tourist traffic, as has been mentioned. I would suggest something closer to Knoxville, but not in Knoxville proper- alot of little towns are scattered throughout these hills, but none are too far away from anything.. Somewhere between Knoxville and Sevierville would guarantee jobs, whether it be in Knoxville or Sevierville, you'd be smack dab in the middle..

Old 07-21-2007, 03:44 PM

Thank you, tntornadox. I have been checking some in the Knoxville area. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced area to rent, let me know.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace50 View Post
Thanks for any help.
I am concerned with schools and rentals also. I'm not concerned about the job, as I'm a LPN, but I am concerned about the pay scale vs. where I'm at and what I'm making now. I am also thinking of moving the same area, but I'm leaning more towards Seymour or Maryville, but I also want to be close enough to the fun and games in and around Gatlinburg. I have been searching for places to rent, but don't seem to find much online, even using Knoxnews.com.

I am currently in Greenfield, Indiana (I can't wait to LEAVE!). I don't plan to move till June of 2008 (contradicted myself didn't I?). My wife and I want to save and make this move a smooth transition for us and our 3 kids. Once there, I plan to work @ Blount Memorial and take advantage of the LPN to RN transition program they offer in conjunction with Lincoln Memorial University. My wife also plans to do the LPN program that Blount Memorial offers.

The question I have is this...
1) What is the name of the actual newspaper for Knoxville? and is there a seperate one for Blount county or Maryville?
2) What will the pay scale be for a LPN working in the hospital vs. long term care vs. what I make now? I'm working weekend option in long term care and gross around 3.5k a month.

I hate to piggy-back off of another person's thread, but some of the same issues of concern prompted me.

Any and all help/replies appreciated...

Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,336,164 times
Knoxville Newspaper is Knoxville News Sentinel
knoxnews.com : Knoxville, Tennessee, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information
Maryville has a separate and very good newspaper, the Daily Times
:: The Daily Times ::
There are a lot of small, thriving newspapers around here. A good list is Tennessee Newspapers (TN) : Newspapers from Tennessee : Tennessee News
The classified listings can give you a good idea of jobs around here. Remember that cost of living is very low and there is no state income tax.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:40 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,714,143 times
Be careful with that cost of living calculator. It's almost two years old. When we moved, I found Sperling's to be very unreliable. The info was too outdated.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM

93 posts, read 293,278 times
Yes that cost of living calculator is very very wrong. Many of the costs of living in Knoxville are much higher now than it states, especially housing. My realtor friend sent some data showing that the median prices of homes in Knox metro has increased $$$ in the past year. ($94,000 in 2006, $189,900 now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville