Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
Knoxville seems like an area with some highly compensated jobs---but many more jobs with a very modest salary (overall wages are quite a bit lower than in NC).
You are correct-- NC jobs pay a LOT more. I am shocked by what people make in Knoxville!

Knoxville wages have not caught up with home prices; add in the high sales tax, and Knoxville has a significant disconnect. Either wages will have to come up or prices come down or there are going to be a lot of "house poor" people trying to live the good life in Knoxville. But Knoxville does seem to be getting a lot of well-to-do retirees and independently wealthy people, so perhaps this is the buffer that allows the disequilibrium to exist.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I can speak to the escalating sprawl firsthand, because I looked at property for two years in Knoxville, before I moved back. During those two years, I watched prices skyrocket, lots shrink and the city creep relentlessly outward. The density is becoming a real issue in the most desirable parts of Knoxville, which is quickly becoming pretty much everywhere. Rural land is being snapped up quickly, and there are no signs of this lessening... at all. Where Raleigh-Durham is now, Knoxville will be. Count on it.
Thanks for your comments. I know it is a difficult situation for southern cities seeking to grow and create new economic opportunities (post-tobacco, post-textiles, etc.). A number of counties in NC have a slogan with the gist "Our home, your opportunity." That about sums it up.

The cynic in me says, well, at least we'll be able to sell a home with acreage for something later in life...but I'd rather be part of efforts to retain the rural character of the area outside the city! My home county has been more active than some in regulating development density (in the section where I live, the minimum is *10 acres* per house, but just over the county line, the min. is more typically 2 acres per house). But closer in to town and in other counties, development has taken quite a different turn. It is amazing to see flood plain east of Raleigh turned into concrete I mean large residential developments.

Thank again for writing.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Knoxville wages have not caught up with home prices; add in the high sales tax, and Knoxville has a significant disconnect...But Knoxville does seem to be getting a lot of well-to-do retirees and independently wealthy people, so perhaps this is the buffer that allows the disequilibrium to exist.
Thanks for confirming this--there really is a disconnect here! I bet you're right that outsiders with independent income or retirees do make a difference. There are some similar patterns going on in the NC mountains (wage are low, jobs are few, and real estate is through the roof!).

Verrry interesting.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Want to know why developments have carte blanche? Here's a perfect example. The county commissioners are a bunch of money-grubbing weasels.

Gone Fishin'

We suspect four Knox County commissioners could have chartered a plane and gone to the Bahamas without the public knowing about it.

But Commissioner Greg “Lumpy” Lambert is the last guy you would expect to keep a secret. His father has a house in the Bahamas, and Lambert tried to organize a trip with political allies Lee Tramel , Chuck Bolus and Ivan Harmon splitting the gas to charter an airplane to get there. The plane belongs to a guy in the construction business. The four met at the Calhoun's on Bearden Hill to discuss the trip. A story then appeared in the News Sentinel about a possible Sunshine Law violation. The commissioners suspect they were ratted out to the News Sentinel by someone in County Mayor Mike Ragsdale 's administration.

A source in the mayor's office tells us that four county commissioners having lunch together at a Calhoun's on a weekday is “pretty much self reporting” given the controversy that has surrounded Commission of late.

Lambert now appears to be short three passengers for his fishing trip. If you want to go, pony up $600 for gas and you could spend some quality time with Powell's most famous nicknamed citizen.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Hey Hiknapster - Nice to *see* you posting again!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Want to know why developments have carte blanche? Here's a perfect example. The county commissioners are a bunch of money-grubbing weasels.

[color="DarkRed"]Gone Fishin'

We suspect four Knox County commissioners could have chartered a plane and gone to the Bahamas without the public knowing about it.
Well, they probably have... many, many times! I thought CA was crooked till I got back to TN. Now I know the truth-- some of these good ol' boys could teach those city slickers a thing or two. Good grief!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Thanks SmokyMtnGal. I appreciate you!

The Knox County Commissioners are the biggest bunch of corrupt jerks I have ever seen. They make Florida politicians look like Grandma Moses. They have pulled more illegal crap than any politicians that I have ever come across, and I use to cover small-town politics. Absolutely shameful.

Anyone that thinks they can stop the commissioners and think that there is a "controlled growth" plan in place better think again. The only reason we have been temporarily saved is because the housing market tanked, across the country.

And honestly, only the local newspapers have anything to say about the current state of affairs. The voters have remained silent.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 AM

111 posts, read 375,084 times
Where do people get this outdated information? Smaller cities are of course not compared to bigger ones in commercial growth but houing is totally different. I'm between K'town & Tri Cities. Developers are pretty much killing this area and with less than 5 years it will be like everywhere else. Cheap housing and condos being built everywhere and right on top of each other. The day of farmland is over. When it goes up for sale it's cut up or bought by developers and those farming can't afford to buy it. The small town I've grown up in is barely recognizable from just 5 years ago. Taxes just went up and I'd say that's just the beginning.
Schools are overrun, I have a 16 year old that even taking her lunch there is nowhere to sit and if she buys it the line is so long it takes up her lunch time. They have attempted once to curb but then just let it go. The funny things is an auto parts store wants to come here, we'd like to have it but the land they want 2 people are considering not to sell, town counsil is considering ED to take the land from the 2 people. That's just wrong.
Houses once built for the beautiful view over the farms and fields now look into the back of another house. As for farmer's market, we drove to Ashville, Nc. A lot of the stuff at these farmer's market comes from NC, actually most.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly7 View Post
Developers are pretty much killing this area and with less than 5 years it will be like everywhere else. Cheap housing and condos being built everywhere and right on top of each other. The day of farmland is over. When it goes up for sale it's cut up or bought by developers and those farming can't afford to buy it.
That is so true. Developers just got the zoning changed behind a piece of property I was hoping to build on someday. It was zoned for one home per acre; they got it changed to high density housing and now they're going to build a big condo complex on it. This will put several hundred cars per day on a narrow, little winding two-lane country road, which is the only route to a major traffic artery. And the road can't be widened without taking someone's front yard.

Now they're trying to get their plans approved with only one parking space per unit, so they can increase the number of units and maximize their profit per SF. Nobody can be stupid enough to believe that is a good thing, so it has to be pure, selfish greed.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM

111 posts, read 375,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thanks SmokyMtnGal. I appreciate you!

The Knox County Commissioners are the biggest bunch of corrupt jerks I have ever seen. They make Florida politicians look like Grandma Moses. They have pulled more illegal crap than any politicians that I have ever come across, and I use to cover small-town politics. Absolutely shameful.

Anyone that thinks they can stop the commissioners and think that there is a "controlled growth" plan in place better think again. The only reason we have been temporarily saved is because the housing market tanked, across the country.

And honestly, only the local newspapers have anything to say about the current state of affairs. The voters have remained silent.

I think that goes on a lot. There's a parts store wanting to come here and they have picked a one mile stretch they'd buy on. The city counsil is considering ED to force the 2 people to sell and just a few hundred feet further there is land for sale, same stretch of Hwy 25, still city limits.
I don't read the paper, advertise in it but never read it. Lived here all my life and especially seeing what goes on as a driver for years, they protect and invest in each other. Boss Hog type, not that I watch a lot of TV either. What many times is printed is approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville