Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
We all have our preferences, so come on down and see how you feel about Tennessee and its beautiful lakes.
Are you inviting them down to Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 AM

93 posts, read 310,022 times
Hahaha, lol... Good one! Sounds like it to me...

Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Are you inviting them down to Georgia?
I'd invite them to anyplace that has a more pleasant climate than Michigan, whether they prefer TN, GA, KY or where ever they choose to be. I would just pray that they found good, kind, hospitable neighbors next door, and not some folk who can't share their good fortune to live in a beautiful area of the country with others. I sure hope you feel the same. I'm sure that john t feels like he welcome people from Michigan with a good heart and open arms.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 PM

93 posts, read 310,022 times
gemthornton,

I think hiknapster has a good sense of humor. I have many friends from MI, I've lived there too and loved it. The summers are fabulous. The whole place is about the lakes, why not, it's surrounded by them. The people are fun, smart, interesting people. If you're getting older and hate the cold winter then by all means move somewhere warmer, I'm not sure TN is the solution though. It's cold here too all winter but you're several degrees warmer than lower MI, U.P. is always cold in the winter. You don't really get any snow here which is good and bad. You don't have to drive in it much but when it snows all these mountains can be treacherous. Winters are generally gray and rainy with no white to brighten things up.

I forgot to mention earlier about Lake Tanasi in Cumberland county. Without a doubt the most affordable and clean lake area in east TN.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:30 AM

gemthornton:

I find it humorous that you don't actually live here, but invited someone to live in the Knoxville area. In fact, you've visited once, and based on that visit, have decided to invite others to the area, especially since you now live in The South, and find it difficult to fit in. I'm not sure that Georgia is that different than Tennessee. Maybe it is, but I would be cautious.

What I find interesting is to wake up to a PM from you that lectures me on being an unwelcoming native. I'm from Massachusetts, via Florida.

Apparently you don't "get" my sense of humor. That's fine. But having a light-hearted spirit is a good way to make friends. You might want to try it.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Hiknapster and john t, I think that you both misread my intent in my PM. For one thing, we have been to Knoxville many, many times over the years, but have just recently visited to do some serious property looking. I sent you the PM hiknapster because if I was missing something in your comment I didn't want to unload in public. I am sorry if it sounded like a lecture. It wasn't meant to. I have lived in MI, PA, MA, SC, GA and other areas, but home is where you make it. I do want to be a part of any place we decide to call home and I think that we are good, friendly neighbors ourselves. As far as fitting in here in GA. GA has nothing to do with it. We are in an Atlanta suburb where life is hectic, very transient, and not all what we know the charming South to be. Our immediate neighborhood is wonderful, but to venture into the city or even to try to get to the airport is a major undertaking. We have loved the Knoxville area for years because although it is a larger city and offers all of the amenities of a large city, it still exudes that laid back, enjoy life and neighbor feel that I think most of us yearn for. You and john t, as I have said before on the forum, are a wealth of information, are very helpful, and seem like two fun, caring people. And, I think that anyone who knows me would tell you that I am quite light-hearted, upbeat, and always looking on the bright side of life (Is there another side?) I never meant to offend. I just wanted to express my concern that maybe some personal comments (not knowing your sense of humor) might hurt someone and give them the wrong impression of being welcome in the community. Deepest apology. Friends, I hope.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Once again, the comment wasn't directed at Deborah53. It was directed at you.

Knoxville is not Atlanta. I think of Atlanta as the New York City of The South but without the really great museums or Broadway plays.

Knoxville is neither of those places. It is not very laid back, though. It has a lot of sprawl, a lot of traffic. That attitude that you got in Georgia? You'll see that here, too. I told my co-worker about this website today, about how there are so many people wanting to move here. Know what she said?

"Fine. They can move here as long as they bring jobs with them."

You just may see as much hostility here as you did in Atlanta. In fact, probably more so. Atlanta has been dealing with transplants for a long time. There are lots of them there. My two foster brothers have lived there for years, and love it, too. Lots of jobs. Lots of people from all over.

But yes, we can be friends. I look forward to it.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM

I understand that your comment was directed to me. I agree that Atlanta is quite similar to New York, but my disenchantment has nothing to do with sprawl or hostility. I did not experience that - more aloofness because nothing is permanent in a transient city. Lots of people love Atlanta, including most of my family, as well. I just want something different. I was not inviting anyone to Atlanta - and wouldn't unless they love traffic (and not for 15 or 20 mile stretches like we run into around Knoxville, but for 60-75 miles going into and then back out of the downtown area), the high crime rate, poor air quality, and ever-rising cost of living. I guess I have been pretty enthusiastic about TN, Blount Co. in particular, for quite awhile, and was just inviting Deborah53 and anyone else who wants to escape the frigid, big cities, etc. to look at TN and see if they like the area as much as we do. The comment about trying the Great Lakes if she wanted a lake area was what I felt was a bit offputting. I guess it was meant to be a joke?? I was letting her know that that comment should not dissuade her or others from looking for a new place to call home. And, you can reassure your workmate that I won't be taking away anyone's job. My husband will be retiring and I hope to continue to volunteer to teach in library programs and after-school programs tutoring youngsters in reading and math (Yes, for free!) who are at risk of being left behind because of low test scores. We plan on pumping up the local economy with our sales taxes, property taxes, and in any other way we can. Right now, in spite of the fact that there may be lots of jobs in Atlanta, there isn't one for my husband. His company was bought out, he is over that invisible line of under 60 and over 60, and now commutes by plane every week to Philadelphia to work. We will be so happy when he can retire in December, and we can finally make our move to the Knoxville area. (And, it is much warmer than MI, PA, or Mass - we know from experience. Love those states, but not good for oldsters and arthritus.) Thanks for listening and your good comments, hiknapster.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Um. I did not make the Lake Michigan comment. Wasn't me. You need to go back and read the thread. I didn't deserve your PM diatribe.

As far as you contributing to the area as retirees? I've done that route. I lived in a Florida town packed with retirees. They jacked up housing prices. Created service jobs. Wasn't great for working families.

Coming into a community and telling us how grateful we all should be? Giving lectures to me and everyone else? It seems like you have an assimilation problem, wherever you go.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

I didn't say that you MADE the comment, hiknapster. I'm simply stating that it was this comment which started this discussion. I don't think trying to illicit an explanation from you as to what I think are pretty negative feelings about non-natives (notice, I don't use the term "outsiders") is the same as not being able to assimilate. (And, notice, too, that I did it in a PM because I didn't want to embarass you or incinuate anything negative about you publicly if I was wrong. It wasn't a lecture to you. It was a question.) Ex.: I just read your comment on another thread about "What do you think of when you hear the term 'Floridian'?" YOU came from somewhere else, YOU will retire someday. Are you going to be a weight on your community's back or are you going to continue to try to be a positive contributer and influence? What makes you think that every retiree is wealthy, looking for something for nothing, and trying to take, take, take. We are not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, and we pay our own way. And, I think most retirees are in the same boat. I'm sorry that you have had such unfortunate experiences with old, rich folks moving in your area and spoiling it for the locals. But, you know what? In today's society a lot of retiring folk have no hometown roots to return to. Their kids are scattered all over the country following their job transfers, and parents, aunts, uncles, etc. are all gone. We are looking for the sweetest home base we can find and afford. It isn't Boston or New York or Philadelphia. It's where you can still see the stars at night and not be afraid to put the trash out at the curb after dark, and where you can find a great farmer's market. I thought we had found that in the Knoxville area. And, I haven't changed my mind. Come visit when we get there and I'll bake a cherry pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville