Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone on the board is also a ham radio operator? My husband has his extra and I have my technician. He is wanting me to take the general but I am in no hurry.

73's..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 19,131 times
Default Amateur Radio Operators

Wow, no replies to your query since July 2007. I am an Extra looking to retire to Tennessee (possibly) in about 5 years. Looking for a Ham friendly community is a real challenge. If you find acreage suitable for towers, it's usually so far back in the boonies that it's not desirable. Most subdivisions restrict antennas even with lot sizes of 2 acres or more. I am simply not going to retire where I can't enjoy my hobby. Oh well, I have time to search for the perfect place.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Hi,

This is a lovely area with a strong ham community throughout the area. Having said that, there are very few of us girlie girls licensed. I like being pro-active and prepared and I will be one of the few Moms able to get in touch with my sons in the event of a major disaster or event where cell and land phones won't work. Of course I am one of those with a basement full of emergency supplies also. There are places relatively "close in" that allow antennas. Even in the city of Maryville there are yards with antennas! Hopefully this area will make your short list in your search for the perfect retirement place.

All the best.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hi,

This is a lovely area with a strong ham community throughout the area. Having said that, there are very few of us girlie girls licensed. I like being pro-active and prepared and I will be one of the few Moms able to get in touch with my sons in the event of a major disaster or event where cell and land phones won't work. Of course I am one of those with a basement full of emergency supplies also. There are places relatively "close in" that allow antennas. Even in the city of Maryville there are yards with antennas! Hopefully this area will make your short list in your search for the perfect retirement place.

All the best.
During Hurricane Charley, they were the only ones that could get through. I always thought that hobby looked fun.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Oak Ridge, where I grew up, has a strong ham radio community as well, or at least it did 10-15 years ago. I got my license (General) when I was in 4th grade and used to make contacts all the time as a kid. I haven't touched one of those things in years, but somehow I still remember my old call sign: KE4BDM.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
My daddy in NC is a HAM Radio Operator, and has been for over 20 years. He still checks in with the Net ( or so he calls it). He even makes his own antenna's.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 29,588 times
Default Amateur Radio in Knoxville

Is there any such critter in Knoxville? I have been licensed since 1992 and would like to join a club to meet others with similar interests.

Thanks for your time.

Thom K5ZJQ

Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 29,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I was just wondering if anyone on the board is also a ham radio operator? My husband has his extra and I have my technician. He is wanting me to take the general but I am in no hurry.

73's..........
Did you ever get your license?

de K5ZJQ
(Looking to move back to Knoxville from West Central Georgia)

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie.thom View Post
Is there any such critter in Knoxville? I have been licensed since 1992 and would like to join a club to meet others with similar interests.

Thanks for your time.

Thom K5ZJQ
Are you a member of ARRL? If not, join. They have a list of clubs.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:25 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
My old Scoutmaster was a Ham radio operator in Florida. He actually joined the Merchant Marines back in the late 30's (fudged his age) and went to radio school. He was a radio officer in the Merchant Marines until he retired, then opened his own ship to shore radio station in Tampa. He would host at his house every year for Jamboree on the Air for scouts, we could talk to other scouts all over. He had a set up he would bring on campouts sometimes. His call sign W4CQC.
I remember about 2 years ago, some limbs fell and were interfering with his antenna. So he climbed up on the roof with a chainsaw and cut them. At the age of 90... his daughter didn't like that...lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville