Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 17,416 times

Advertisements

If an earthquake were to hit the New Madrid fault, for example 7.0 or greater, would Knoxville feel it? We are thinking of moving there. Do most of you have earthq insurance, flood ins. or both? Also, what are the best schools? I have 2 in elem. We're not wealthy, make less than $80000. We are uprooting the family away from Memphis and will live on our savings until we find jobs....in this economy is very worrisome also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Hard to say what would happen if a 7.0 were to hit. That is a pretty big earthquake.
Having moved here from So CA, earthquakes here have been kind of a joke for me.

I think you would be quite safe in Knoxville, should an earthquake hit. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that the entire State has been pretty safe from earthquake damage in the last several decades.

Earthquake insurance would be a huge waste of money.
Since there are many areas in Knoxville that are in flood areas, you may want to look into the flood maps where you are planning to buy.

Moving here or anywhere without jobs is very risky, especially with little ones. Hope you have a good savings to live on.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I believe when the New Madrid earthquake happened, a couple hundred years ago, it was so enormous that it made the Mississippi run backwards for a bit and church bells rang miles and miles away, but it really didn't affect Knoxville. No, I don't have earthquake insurance. They don't even bother mentioning it. I also don't have flood insurance but I live on top of a very large hill.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM

510 posts, read 1,386,833 times
At this distance most structures built on bedrock areas should be OK. That may not be the case for structures built on wet, alluvial deep soils such as flood plain areas. Water saturated alluvial soils tend to liquefy causing buildings to sink or roll over. In the case of the Mexico City earthquake back in the 80s this is what caused the destruction of many high rise structures. The earthquake epicenter was hundreds of miles to the west but most of Mexico City is built on an former lake bed (deep, water saturated fill).

Look for a place in (literally) Rocky Top, Tennessee where the bedrock is poking out of the ground.

I suspect that most of the problems in this area if a 7+ New Madrid quake occurs would be disruption to utilities and transportation systems.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Knoxville has it pretty good on the natural disaster scope. The plateau keeps tornadoes out, forest fires are rare, far from fault line. Landlocked, so hurricanes and tsunamis out, but some flooding might help...I think you can get insurance for pretty cheap.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM

I thought this area doesn't really get heavy-duty flooding - such as what happened in Nashville - because of the dams? I've seen small back roads washed out, a bit, way up in northwest Knox County, near the Anderson County line, but not much else.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
I don't think it does either, but it sure surprised a bunch of folk in Nashville without flood insurance... I don't think we had flood insurance when we had our house in Knox, and I haven't heard of anyone having their house flooded, except for water main leaks. Guess it could go either way.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
I don't think it does either, but it sure surprised a bunch of folk in Nashville without flood insurance... I don't think we had flood insurance when we had our house in Knox, and I haven't heard of anyone having their house flooded, except for water main leaks. Guess it could go either way.
I know that it is definitely advised to get flood insurance if you are in a flood zone. I just happen to sit on a hill. But Barking Spider is correct. I just don't think we get the horrendous floods of say, Nashville, because of the dams, thank goodness.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 17,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Knoxville has it pretty good on the natural disaster scope. The plateau keeps tornadoes out, forest fires are rare, far from fault line. Landlocked, so hurricanes and tsunamis out, but some flooding might help...I think you can get insurance for pretty cheap.
Cool, that's good to know! My worst fear by far are earthquakes as there is NO escaping that!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagar View Post
If an earthquake were to hit the New Madrid fault, for example 7.0 or greater, would Knoxville feel it? We are thinking of moving there. Do most of you have earthq insurance, flood ins. or both? Also, what are the best schools? I have 2 in elem. We're not wealthy, make less than $80000. We are uprooting the family away from Memphis and will live on our savings until we find jobs....in this economy is very worrisome also...
I grew up in California where earthquakes are considered alarm clocks to get us up. I lived a few miles from the epicenter of a 7.2 (I believe) quake (early 1970's) and not a big deal. Spilled everything out of the frig and knocked a few things off the wall. Knoxville is built on a better surface than we had, so no problems would be expected that I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville