U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 59,694 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hope to have a new house built in the Knoxville area within the next 12 months. Wondering if anyone knows what the average cost per sq. foot is for new construction in the area? Is it $80, $100 or $125 or more?

Any info on new housing costs in the Knoxville area would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 06:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 9,715,074 times
Question Good question: How much does it cost to build in the Knoxville area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBOUND View Post
Hi all,

Hope to have a new house built in the Knoxville area within the next 12 months. Wondering if anyone knows what the average cost per sq. foot is for new construction in the area? Is it $80, $100 or $125 or more?

You know, JCBOUND, we are in the same position. We are currently making monthly visits to the area looking for lots, but have not yet asked the question: How much to build? We have only been looking at lot prices. Glad you threw that question out there. I'll be watching for some responses. Best of everything in your search.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,130,748 times
Quote:
Hope to have a new house built in the Knoxville area within the next 12 months. Wondering if anyone knows what the average cost per sq. foot is for new construction in the area? Is it $80, $100 or $125 or more? Any info on new housing costs in the Knoxville area would be appreciated.
This is a little difficult to answer, since every house plan is different and so many choices are subjective. But I spent hundreds of hours fielding building quotes for more than a year, so I'll share what I learned.

The cost per foot will depend on many, many factors, like square footage, # of stories, roof pitch and quality of materials, inside and out, plus the specific amenities you choose. For a custom two-story, 2500-3000 SF all-brick house with large windows and French doors (lots of light), high ceilings, quality (upper mid-level) materials, hardwood and ceramic floors on the main and a nice kitchen with upgraded countertops and stainless appliances, every single builder I talked to quoted me between $125 and $175 per SF to build (not including the cost of the lot). This did not include extra grading or clearing, if the lot is steep or has lots of trees. And this is not top-of-the-line amenities, but nice mid-to-upper-mid-level stuff. And maybe a shrub or two, but don't count on landscaping.

I thought it was steep, since I have friends who're building similar houses in other parts of the South for $95-$115 SF. And you gotta figure the builder is going to go over budget, because the unexpected always happens, so you have to build in a contingency. But I talked to quality builders, who came highly recommended, and I checked out their work. This is what they all, without exception, quoted me for my house plan.

One thing that surprised me about Knoxville was that so many of the newer neighborhoods have very strict R&Rs. They dictate the minimum size of your house, the number of stories, the roof pitch and the kinds of materials you can use. Many HOAs have to approve your brick and choice of windows. I also had to build all brick and have a certain kind of gutters and driveway. And many HOA boards have to approve your house plan, your contractor and your choice and color of materials before you can break ground-- and you pay for an architectural review board to make sure it all passes inspection before and after you build. You'd be surprised how many of the neighborhoods are this picky-- and not just the ones you think. Just something to be aware of.

Again, your situation may be very different. This is just my experience. Hope it helps!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM

13,083 posts, read 37,311,287 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I have friends who are developing a subdivision in Oak Ridge, and they said that $100/square foot is a good ballpark figure for the townhouses they're developing. The homes, which have larger lots, will go for about $125/square foot.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Smile Building cost per sf in Knoxville area

Thanks for the info, JMT and goodbyehollywood. $125 is about what I had expected, but the last 2 homes we built were about 10% over and not because of change orders - just because... Planning ahead means everything if you are going to build and always have that back-up over run cash set aside. We are looking forward to the process again and being in Maryville will make it all the sweeter.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 AM

93 posts, read 293,235 times
Expect $125-175 s/f, add a minimum of 10% to this, and expect the completion date to be months longer. It does cost more to build a house in Knoxville than other southern cities.

The regulations by the HOA can be pretty ridiculous. If people started taking a stand, the HOA neighborhoods would ease. One of the problems is people moving from areas where they're used to crazy HOA regulations, they think its the status quo.

We've found that lots here are as, or more expensive than comparable lots in the Nashville, Atlanta, and other southern cities. The site prep work is more expensive as well due to the typical grade and soil composition.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 59,694 times
Default Thanks for all the info

With all the unknowns like cost overrides and HOA building restrictions, plus the relatively high cost of building in the area we may have to rethink the build vs. buy resale question.

Thanks again for the help

Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 503,575 times
Cost for any decent construction would run $175 up sf. Knox area is sprouting subdivisions with 2400 - 3600 sf minimum, we see them everywhere. Do $175+ and youre looking at $500,000 - $750,000 plus lot, ouch! This town isnt worth anywhere close to $750K. Rent till prices drop, downward pressure building. Best wishes

Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,805,197 times
Not sure if it's happening in the bigger cities or not but be careful you don't get over charged because your moving in to the state from say, Florida. We recently were a victim of price gouging in East TN because we were from Florida and that was just on the excavation part not building. I was told that some contractors are charging double for out of staters. Just be aware and get more than 1 estimate to get a ball park figure of what it should be, not what they think we can afford. Not all of us are cashing in when we make a move to TN who have all this extra money to carry over with us.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up Price gouging for out-of-staters/

You know, that is something that I would never have thought of - charging more for construction just because you are not familar with the area and typical costs. I guess just as mentioned, comparison shop first, and be a little savvy about what you are committing to. No, we are not all moneybags moving into the area to live it up. Most of us are probably just looking for that hometown that will give us a good quality of life with folk who feel the same. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville