Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newport Or Dandridge Tennessee, VIEWS?????
Newport 2 33.33%
Dandridge 4 66.67%
stay in Minnesota 0 0%
hold out and wait for something in our price range to open up in Gatlinburg area 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 PM

74 posts, read 220,162 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much, we have been there 2 times, and we drove around in many areas, maybe we were a bit blinded by the scenery and not paying enough attention. Nice to know Cosby is like that, and someone posted a thread at the Tennessee forum about the crime in Newport and all. Sounds as though cocke county does not have a very good reputation. Nice to hear from someone that lives there, makes things a little easier for people that are not living there yet. I remember when we were there last Sept, the realtor showed us a house out in Jones Cove, we loved the house but the realtor described the homes/trailers and such we had to pass as hillbilly ghetto, her words not mine, kinda scared me a bit. So we are doing a thorough search of the Dandridge area, looks good to us. Definately do not want to live anywhere that there are locals not being welcoming or crime going on.Any other areas that are favorable would be nice to hear about, driving to Sevierville for work daily, so not a long commute would be great. Was looking for a place outside a nice town with an acre or so but after hearing about the poisonous snakes and spiders being more rural, am rethinking this as well, I would never know the difference between poisonous or not. Don't get me wrong we live on 5 acres in southern Minnesota and we have barn spiders, black widows, deer, possums, in fact one keeps eating all the cat food I put outside the door for the cats, racoons, fox,and coyotes, but spiders and and snakes that can kill you??maybe I am just freaking myself out. omg, everywhere you live are creatures to be frightened of right?? I never wear shoes or socks unless I go somewhere, maybe not a good suggestion for there huh?? You will probably be able to see me on the front page of local paper with all the creatures I will be stepping on and bit by!!The local orkin man will be spped dial number 1 spray for snakes? ok I am a strong Minnesota farm woman, i will be fine, but jut out of curiosity what do you do when you get bit by snakes or spiders?? pray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 AM

93 posts, read 308,962 times
There are some rattle snakes around, but I hike every weekend and rarely see them. As far as spiders go, the brown recluse is a real problem. I find them all the time around here and have been bitten twice. They do cause severe swelling and even amputation and death in some people. Don't put your hands in dark, humid, warm places around garages, sheds, barns, etc. My father was bitten and his hand swole to almost twice the normal size with one finger bursting open. It took over a month for the swelling to go down.

Again, don't worry about the critters, watch out for the humans...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM

74 posts, read 220,162 times
thanks so much for the info Lawson1028 and Johnt just simply fell in love with the lay of the land by Cosby, loved the Pittman center and janes Cove areas as well, any insights on those areas?

Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 29,624 times
Lots of ax murderers and homeless meth heads live in those areas. I would be very careful. I've heard of family pets becoming dinner in those parts!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 PM

41 posts, read 130,477 times
Are you sure about those areas??? I too thought about those areas until I had to drive those distances to work. (I work in G-burg, too) It's a long drive even when there is no traffic. Just know that during the busy season, it could take you 2 hours, easy, to get into G-burg from Dandridge. Burn up your gas in traffic waiting to get to work. Check the Mountain Press (either online or in print) and see how many rentals or FSBO's are in there. You may be able to find something a lot closer! As for Jones Cove, stay far away. Locals even talk bad about that area!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM

OOOOHH! It's a hellish place. You better go to church every Wed. and Sun.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM

745 posts, read 1,712,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovski View Post
OOOOHH! It's a hellish place. You better go to church every Wed. and Sun.
Oh come on now. You yourself seem to be possibly misplaced. Whatever it is like, it isn't any worse than some of the "Fort Apache of the Bronx" urban areas or other areas in the rest of the country.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm just kidding. I grew up in Pittman Center. Good luck finding property. You can't subdivide property in PC so be prepared to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville