Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 9,378 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to Monroe county TN. or the surrounding area does anyone have any suggestions or comments regarding horse friendly towns / areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM

374 posts, read 948,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoupemech View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to Monroe county TN. or the surrounding area does anyone have any suggestions or comments regarding horse friendly towns / areas?
Could you please explain "horse friendly" town? My mind is going wild conjuring up images of horses "parked" outside restaurants, banks, etc

Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,375,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Could you please explain "horse friendly" town? My mind is going wild conjuring up images of horses "parked" outside restaurants, banks, etc
I think they just don't want to pick a one horse town.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Thank you both for the great responses...Took the wife and I a few minutes to stop laughing long enough to reply.I think what we should have said was, seeking information on towns or areas where there are horse farms or people who keep horses on there property.In a sense nashvols is correct in that we are looking for places where the neighbors also keep horses and we aren't the only ones.We do love TN Gal now's vision and would like to be notified immediately if anyone finds a town fitting that description.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Well actually,

if you're looking at Monroe, McMinn, or Polk counties, it's quite possible to see horse-drawn buggies/wagons traveling the highway. In fact, just yesterday at the parking lot of Bi Lo in Etowah, I was in my car talking on the phone, when a horse-drawn wagon drove by. There is a large community I've heard referred to as "plain people" and/or Amish near Delano and I suspect there are others sprinkled throughout the area.

However, in my opinion and at the risk of sounding offensive, which is not my intent, I do consider most of these little towns to be "one horse" towns and, in fact, I live within the city limits of a little town that is so small it probably qualifies as a half-horse town. Within my county, there's another little town that's smaller, but given some recent problems there, it might be considered half-a**ed. If you drive through the area you'll see LOTS of homes/farms with horses so I think there's little aversion to horses in this area. As for me, I have goats in my back yard...

Welcome to E TN

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
if you're looking at Monroe, McMinn, or Polk counties, it's quite possible to see horse-drawn buggies/wagons traveling the highway. In fact, just yesterday at the parking lot of Bi Lo in Etowah, I was in my car talking on the phone, when a horse-drawn wagon drove by. There is a large community I've heard referred to as "plain people" and/or Amish near Delano and I suspect there are others sprinkled throughout the area.

However, in my opinion and at the risk of sounding offensive, which is not my intent, I do consider most of these little towns to be "one horse" towns and, in fact, I live within the city limits of a little town that is so small it probably qualifies as a half-horse town. Within my county, there's another little town that's smaller, but given some recent problems there, it might be considered half-a**ed. If you drive through the area you'll see LOTS of homes/farms with horses so I think there's little aversion to horses in this area. As for me, I have goats in my back yard...

Welcome to E TN
Sounds lovely,was wondering if you could describe the size of the homes/ farms in the area.Large farms over 100 acres or smaller properties with a more residential feel.How about the homes, would you describe the area around Etowah as a nice neighborhood.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM

In my opinion, Etowah is probably the most charming little town in McMinn County. But, nearly all of the counties surrounding Knox County are considered rural and would meet your criteria for being "horse friendly." However, none would equal nor have the appearance of the horse farms of Lexington, KY or Ocala, FL.

I really can't answer about homes/farms with acreage because there's no way to really know how many acres are associated with a particular home.

I suppose the greater questions are exactly what are you looking for? Have you ever lived in the rural south? Are you dependent upon a job for income? Are you absolutely dead-set on buying something before you live in an area? Schools would probably be a factor if you have school-age children, which I don't, so for me it wasn't an issue.

I see you would be moving from NY. I moved to TN from FL in 1982. I've lived in three rural counties and Knoxville. What I have learned is that in the smaller, more rural areas, there is more inclination to be unwelcoming and suspicious of outsiders and, at the risk of the wrath of the forum, one area particularly dislikes New Yorkers and Floridians. Actually, they disliked Floridians more than northerners because the Floridians moved up here and "stole" their primary "cash crop" business right out from under the local good ol' boys I will say that McMinn County has been extremely welcoming of me and I've met several others who have moved here from other areas and they concur.

Anyway, I digress. The entire area here is lovely, a very laid-back way of life, and many good people. You'll find a wide range of real estate opportunities, but I strongly recommend that you "test the water" first to get a real feel for the area. I cannot stress enough that each small community has its own distinct "feel" and you simply cannot learn that through comments here, driving through the area, or short visits. Neither can I stress the importance of employment, or the lack of it, if you are dependent upon a local job for outside income.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention in earlier posts that one spring evening a man knocked on our door after dark. Now, that was the first - and only - time that's ever happened, so we were a little surprised and reluctant to open the door to him, but we did. He was short-winded and panicky because a black horse he'd just purchased had escaped and he feared it may have run through our property and get onto the highway where it wouldn't be seen in the dark and could cause extreme injury to a car, the passengers, and maim/kill the horse. As we spoke, the horse came galloping through our property - several times. We spent the next hour or so (in the rain) trying to direct the horse away from the highway, back to its barn, and flagging cars to pass slowly.

It probably was the most excitement we've had since we moved here...

Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 11,073 times
I agree look into McMinn County...Etowah and Athens has that small town charm! Another plus about McMinn county is...you are an hour form Chattanooga and Knoxville. Good Luck with your search. If you need any other help feel free to DM me.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,420,223 times
Etowah is a good one hour and 15 minutes from Knoxville. For more info you may want to ask questions on the main TN forum just to get as much feedback as possible.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 11,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Etowah is a good one hour and 15 minutes from Knoxville. For more info you may want to ask questions on the main TN forum just to get as much feedback as possible.
Really depends on how someone drives. I am able to make it in an hour and 5 at the max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville