Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM

86 posts, read 414,437 times

Advertisements

So how bad is it really? In Sevier County?

Just wondering as I have small children in the Sevier County Schools. I've been told E. Tn has a horrible meth problem and am wondering is it all that bad or is it just blown out of proportion.

I moved here from MI and they had a horrible crime rate where I lived (mostly gang crap) but I was never afraid as I wasn't in "that area" or around "those people".

Wondering if I'm silly to live in my "own little world" here, too, or should I really be concerned? Mostly thinking of my kids getting exposed to that crap. Mind you, one is only 6 and the other is 2, but still wanting to be informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
So how bad is it really? In Sevier County?

Just wondering as I have small children in the Sevier County Schools. I've been told E. Tn has a horrible meth problem and am wondering is it all that bad or is it just blown out of proportion.

I moved here from MI and they had a horrible crime rate where I lived (mostly gang crap) but I was never afraid as I wasn't in "that area" or around "those people".

Wondering if I'm silly to live in my "own little world" here, too, or should I really be concerned? Mostly thinking of my kids getting exposed to that crap. Mind you, one is only 6 and the other is 2, but still wanting to be informed.
While there are places in Tennessee that are notorious for meth labs, Sevier County isn't one of them. They exist, of course, but unless your neighbors have a meth lab, you're safe. The fact that you're concerned shows what a good parent you are.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
You know wherever you move in whatever state, your going to run into people involved in that "crap" but your like me, we live in our own little world, stay away from it and carry on with our own life. You leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. There are places in TN if you start driving around that you will know just by looking at the neighborhoods that you don't want to be living around that specific area then again if you drive 10 -15 miles away from it, you just may find a nice quiet place. The place i just bought basically the south end of the county is pretty scary looking and the other northern end is quite nice and more modern. I think the further off the beaten path you go, the more your going to see things like that and keep in mind, there's a lot of beaten path roads in TN. I don't think seveirville would be so bad as it's more expensive to live there from what others have said and also it's such a touristy place. Now i don't live in TN yet but just bought some land there and i did a ton of research and many many trips to explore the areas before i bought so this is just my opinion from my point of view and research.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,219 times
Every county in east TN has a meth problem. Tn was ranked in the top 5 worst states for meth labs a few year ago. After they made the ingredients more difficult to buy the number of labs decreased somewhat, but use is still very high. A report I saw recently said much of the meth is being imported from other areas including Mexico. I've seen many people with bleeding sores over their arms and face. Sevier isn't know to be the worst place for meth. Its much worst in the surrounding counties. TN also has another serious drug problem, It's #1 in the US for prescription drug abuse. The hillbilly buzz, oxy contin, etc. Lots of drug store robberies.
Best wishes.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
Every county in east TN has a meth problem. Tn was ranked in the top 5 worst states for meth labs a few year ago. After they made the ingredients more difficult to buy the number of labs decreased somewhat, but use is still very high. A report I saw recently said much of the meth is being imported from other areas including Mexico. I've seen many people with bleeding sores over their arms and face. Sevier isn't know to be the worst place for meth. Its much worst in the surrounding counties. TN also has another serious drug problem, It's #1 in the US for prescription drug abuse. The hillbilly buzz, oxy contin, etc. Lots of drug store robberies.
Best wishes.

Drug arrests don't always tell the crime tale, either. It's the other crimes these people commit (break ins, car jacking, purse snatching, convenience store hold ups, vehicular homicide, child neglect) because they are druggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville