Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM

32 posts, read 51,603 times

Advertisements

Hi all - thank you in advance for any replies - my husband and I (along with our 3 y/o) are looking to relocate - Knoxville "area" being one of our picks - I am sorry if this is more detail than needed but I figure the more info I can share the better...

1. Budget --> looking to rent for first 6months-year around $1,000+

2. House/Condo/Townhome? --> detached "something" preferred

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) --> I am a nurse my husband will be an entry level accountant

4. Children(public school vs. private) --> either or - as long as they are safe and serve their purpose

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two --> Suburban

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --> Nope

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. --> Middle-upper class, safe

* late 20's early 30's professionals with an expanding family
* Within 25 minutes of a decent sized hospital - any names would be great
*45 minutes (or so) to major airport
*Good library within 10 minutes or so
*Farmers market within town
*Parks, parks and more parks
*Walk able downtown that isn't a ghost town - even if it is only a few blocks long/wide - as long as it has some "life"/"charm"/history
*depending on job markets we will probably be looking to spend around 200K when we purchase a home - in a "perfect world" it would be 1+ acres very, very close to a small/medium downtown area within close distance to amenities (grocery store, target [I know!] etc
*We are pretty laid back individuals that enjoy being outdoors and being able to walk around our small downtown with a variety of local restaurants, park etc - our zip code consists of approximately 70,000 people while our "downtown" has about 7,200

Thank you so very much for any and all suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 AM

27 posts, read 55,879 times
Collin's Mommy,

I live in South Knoxville. The area is 5 miles from town but when you drivr it ,it doesn't seem that far. Schools in the area are Moreland Heights, South Doyle Public Schools. Konx County Library is 10 mins away. Fort Sanders Hospital is 6 miles away and I consider it the best. There is also University of Tennessee Hospital on Alcoa Hwy. That with a short cut you can get there in 20 mins. But not in the winter if there is snow.
The Airport is 30 min.drive from my house. I work in Maryville/Alcoa and pass it everyday.

Another area would be Bearden . It is were I grew up. You can walk to resturants, grocery, greenway. It is a historic district. I wish I was still there. For Schools we have Sequoyah, Breaden High School, Morisorri, More than 4 preschools in that area. This area is a professional ,young families. I think you would really like it. From this area Fort Sanders and UT Hospital are straight shots down Kingston Pike. Deeper west is more sprawling .
Hope this helps. A good place to check is Welcome Wagon of Knoxville, Knoxville Chamber of Commerce and AAA Auto Club. I know AAA sounds strange , but when I go to check out places I use them alot.
If you have any more questions let me know. I will glad to send any info.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!! I will look into those areas for sure! My in-laws have a place in Vonore, I know that they have talked about going to Maryville for dinners(?) Thank you again!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,737,946 times
Maryville would have about 90% of your wish list.

Local small hospital (Blount County) and easy drive to UT medical center.

Walkable downtown, yes.

Farmer's market once a week in season and other year round fresh food venues ( Horn of Plenty and The Market). There are also several real farm stands inside and outside of town that have good produce in season. There are pick you own strawberry fields available. Within a short drive (20-25 minutes) you can be at a fruit farm (grapes, blackberries, apples and blueberries)- Milne Farm.

Very highly rated schools.

Parks: Lovely Green-way in town shared with neighboring Alcoa and the Smoky Mountain National Park in your backyard for starters.

Beautiful and quite large and well stocked public library. It even has a coffee shop inside. I've spent many a content hour there. LOL

We have a Target, 2 Walmarts, a small mall (Belks Penneys and Sears are the anchors) and lots of box store shopping centers with all the major chains along 2-3 main roads but the view will rapidly turn into a more rural look one or two blocks away from those roads. You can be at most Knoxville venues within a half hour drive if that isn't enough shopping.

The $200,000 may limit you a little bit but if you look at the edges of the "city" limits (or in Blount County where you will still have good schools, though not quite as highly rated) it may work and it would be middle class, but it won't be in upper middle class areas and the acreage might be more like 1/2 acre. You might get a bit closer to the ideal at $300,000.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,074,061 times
I'd suggest Knoxville, from Bearden and points west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin's Mommy View Post
Hi all - thank you in advance for any replies - my husband and I (along with our 3 y/o) are looking to relocate - Knoxville "area" being one of our picks - I am sorry if this is more detail than needed but I figure the more info I can share the better...

1. Budget --> looking to rent for first 6months-year around $1,000+ That will work for a rental.

2. House/Condo/Townhome? --> detached "something" preferred

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) --> I am a nurse my husband will be an entry level accountant Lots of hospitals in Knoxville. Much, much more than you would expect.

4. Children(public school vs. private) --> either or - as long as they are safe and serve their purpose We have very good public schools. Award-winning.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two --> Suburban As stated, try Bearden and points west to Farragut.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --> Nope

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. --> Middle-upper class, safe See above.

* late 20's early 30's professionals with an expanding family
* Within 25 minutes of a decent sized hospital - any names would be great Parkwest, Mercy, Fort Sanders, UT Medical Center, Children's
*45 minutes (or so) to major airport Yes.
*Good library within 10 minutes or so Yes.
*Farmers market within town We have a farmer's market going in season in the Knoxvlle area from Tuesday through Saturday. Some days there are a couple open.
*Parks, parks and more parks Oh. Yeah. We have an incredible amount of parks and 43 miles of greenways.
*Walk able downtown that isn't a ghost town - even if it is only a few blocks long/wide - as long as it has some "life"/"charm"/history It's very small but it is all that.
*depending on job markets we will probably be looking to spend around 200K when we purchase a home - in a "perfect world" it would be 1+ acres very, very close to a small/medium downtown area within close distance to amenities (grocery store, target [I know!] etc Hmm...That's a tall order. To be in the best neighborhood with one acre? Maybe not. I think prices in Michigan are much cheaper than here. It's probably doable in an older home.
*We are pretty laid back individuals that enjoy being outdoors and being able to walk around our small downtown with a variety of local restaurants, park etc - our zip code consists of approximately 70,000 people while our "downtown" has about 7,200

Thank you so very much for any and all suggestions

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Thank you for all of the info I guess I should have been more specific about neighborhood - we are looking for a middle class (not really upper) working class, but a nice, well maintained working class - my feelings are that you have to have the tax base to have a nice and maintained downtown area

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all of the info I guess I should have been more specific about neighborhood - we are looking for a middle class (not really upper) working class, but a nice, well maintained working class - my feelings are that you have to have the tax base to have a nice and maintained downtown area
We have a beautiful and maintained downtown area. Have you seen it? It's been lovingly restored and is stunning. In fact, our city has been so successful that our mayor was recently elected governor. He won in a landslide.

I don't see any posts saying that our downtown isn't beautiful. I said it was small. Now that is small for the size of our city. Considering that you come from such a small town you may not think it is all that tiny.

Regarding a tax base, Tennessee comes in 47th in tax burden for the country. So yes, we do not have high taxes. However, we have some of the best cops, wonderful schools and a stellar park system. And we do that all without a huge chunk of taxes being taken out of the hides of the citizens. How? I guess we have better bean counters.

I'm curious to why you assumed our services must not be very good because we pay less taxes but wanted to move here anyway.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM

98 posts, read 238,741 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don't even know anymore who are now considered middle class. lol.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We have a beautiful and maintained downtown area. Have you seen it? It's been lovingly restored and is stunning. In fact, our city has been so successful that our mayor was recently elected governor. He won in a landslide.

I don't see any posts saying that our downtown isn't beautiful. I said it was small. Now that is small for the size of our city. Considering that you come from such a small town you may not think it is all that tiny.

Regarding a tax base, Tennessee comes in 47th in tax burden for the country. So yes, we do not have high taxes. However, we have some of the best cops, wonderful schools and a stellar park system. And we do that all without a huge chunk of taxes being taken out of the hides of the citizens. How? I guess we have better bean counters.

I'm curious to why you assumed our services must not be very good because we pay less taxes but wanted to move here anyway.
No, no, no - you misunderstood what I was saying, I am sorry if it sounded like I was knocking any area... I was simply stating that if there is a county where taxes are "low", home values are "low" than there is not a tax base to maintain the area per se... you know? Hence a solid middle socio economic area is important, not that many people "choose" to be in a low income area.

Yes, I have been to Knoxville, gosh it's been 6+ years, my in laws have a place in Vonore and we went into Knoxville for the 4th of July fire works and it was very, very charming from what we saw. At that point moving wasn't a thought so we didn't explore as much as I wish I do appreciate all of the info.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I was simply stating that if there is a county where taxes are "low", home values are "low" than there is not a tax base to maintain the area per se... you know? Hence a solid middle socio economic area is important, not that many people "choose" to be in a low income area.
No.

I think we are speaking two different languages.

You don't need an enormous amount of taxes in order to highly maintain an area.

I guess you'll have to come see for yourself. We spend our money very, very wisely.

I noticed in your town that you have a lot of separate government entities to run different services. Yeesh. Yet, the roads look like they desperately need to be fixed.

Please understand that I'm a left-leaning moderate Yankee with lots of experience dealing with municipalities and I am here to tell you that things can be done very well on much less taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville