Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Speculation drives me straight up the wall.

They are permitted but they must keep moving unless they are conducting a transaction.

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/downlo...dorlicense.pdf
Well, thats some pretty vague wording.

"Seller cannot be stationary, but must remain mobile, except during sales transactions."

What does that even mean? Be constantly on the move, except when you're taking someone's money??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I'm sure you'll want to call the city and ask.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM

213 posts, read 550,972 times
I have worked downtown for the past 34 years. From time to time there have been cart vendors but they seem to come and go. The last hot dog vendor was around Market Square a year or so ago.
I’m not sure, but I think that the no standing ordinance applies to novelty vendors like the ones that sell balloons and other trinkets for special events such as parades and festivals. I do remember reading in the paper some time ago that the health department’s health codes make it difficult to operate a portable food cart in Knox County.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM

12 posts, read 41,768 times
There's a guy with a hot dog stand that is frequently on the corner in the Old City on weekends (in front of the Urban Bar), on Friday and Saturday nights. Makes good sausage dogs.

Thing is, it's only profitable to do so on weekends, when he can cater to the people filtering out of the clubs/bars late at night. Things are comparatively dead during the weekdays.

Outside of catering to the post-club hungry kids in the Old City, where else would you put a food cart? There are plenty of late-night eateries on the strip (Gus' deli, Krystal, etc) that you'd have to contend with. And during the day, well, you don't have to walk more than five minutes in any direction in downtown Knoxville to find food (how things have changed!).

I live in South Florida now, and I've noticed that almost every Home Depot, Lowe's, etc has a hot dog vendor out front. Brilliant! Hungry contractors on the job that need to eat on the go! I bet those guys are making money hand over fist.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 25,838 times
I think that is definitely an untapped market here in Knoxville....*especially* on UT campus. When I went there the cafeterias and snack shops were so busy it was rediculous, I just wanted something good and fast. When the hot dog guy came to campus it was brilliant (and delicious!), but I always wished he could be on other parts of campus as well since UT is so freaking huge.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 PM

213 posts, read 550,972 times
"Dave's Dog House" a hot dog vendor was on Market Square today at lunch time.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
News Sentinel had a piece about the new Petros mobile unit. They talked about health dept regs, permits (each jurisdiction may be different), and getting permission from property owners.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM

13 posts, read 18,966 times
Are there any other vendors (besides the hot dog guy) on or near the UTK campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: