Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

29 posts, read 70,469 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on moving to Eastern TN later this year, the Knoxville area being our favorite part so far (though my wife truly love Gatlingburg). We visited last year and will be spending another week vacation in 2 weeks.

I've been reading posts since a few days and got a lot of good info here (thanks guys!). I also went to the city's website and checked out what out of state folks moving to TN needs to do. For the driver licenses, it says that people need to give proof of US citizenship for trading their out of state licenses. My wife is a Permanent US Resident (green card holder). As far as I know, all states would grant driver licenses to US citizens and permanent residents. So is that true that TN only grants driver licenses to US citizens or is the city's website wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM

469 posts, read 1,170,052 times
States are required to accept ID from all other states. I assume tennessee would let her get a license, but if for some reason they did not she could go on using her current license until it expires

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Actually, I checked the TDoS website for the info and yes, it's like any other state. She has all the necessary paperwork to exchange her CA license. The Knoxville website was very incomplete about out-of-state licenses.

Quote:
At time of application, new residents must present:
•Your current license (or certified copy of driving record and other acceptable ID)
•Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or
Proof of authorized stay or temporary legal presence in the United States
•Primary Proof of Identity
•Secondary Proof of Identity
•Proof of any Name Changes if Different than name on Primary ID
•Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address - NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.)
•A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
Another question. How about firearms? Mine are registered here in CA. Do I need to register them? If yes, where?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCfromCA View Post
Actually, I checked the TDoS website for the info and yes, it's like any other state. She has all the necessary paperwork to exchange her CA license. The Knoxville website was very incomplete about out-of-state licenses.

Another question. How about firearms? Mine are registered here in CA. Do I need to register them? If yes, where?
There is no such thing in the state of TN as registering firearms that you already own, and have previously registered, from other states.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,461 times
I just had some other folks with me this week from Orange County California thinking of retiring here in 3 years, They were amazed at the home values and countryside and no state income tax! They asked me if we had bad weather and I said no then the tornados struck! Guess I was wrong!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,575 times
hey JlCfrom CA, welcome to the friendly state of Tn and not knowing what part of Ca, the Gatlinburg choice, will likely work with the traffic loads you are probably used to in Ca. Knoxville is only about an hours drive to most of Sevier county and when choosing Knoxville, you will surely become a Big Orange fan? Good luck in your choices and have a great visit.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
There is no such thing in the state of TN as registering firearms that you already own, and have previously registered, from other states.
I heard about the no registration, but it's always better to ask the locals. Thanks for the info. Is there any outdoor places such as BLM land that we have here where you can setup targets and shoot? I know that the best would be to get big enough of a land in rural zoning, but I'll have to wait a bit for this.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkville View Post
I just had some other folks with me this week from Orange County California thinking of retiring here in 3 years, They were amazed at the home values and countryside and no state income tax! They asked me if we had bad weather and I said no then the tornados struck! Guess I was wrong!
LOL, I did live in OC for a few years. Though it's terrible that so many people lost their lives. I really feel for them.
I know you guys have great weather. I was there during the fall, which I loved. In a couple of weeks we'll be there for spring. Can't wait to be back. I really love eastern TN and the folks down there!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
hey JlCfrom CA, welcome to the friendly state of Tn and not knowing what part of Ca, the Gatlinburg choice, will likely work with the traffic loads you are probably used to in Ca. Knoxville is only about an hours drive to most of Sevier county and when choosing Knoxville, you will surely become a Big Orange fan? Good luck in your choices and have a great visit.
I lived both in busy places and rural areas in southern CA. We're country folks, so eastern TN is a place we really like. Last time around, we visited Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and everything in between. We had so much fun that we scrapped Nashville from our trip because of lack of time. But this time, we start with Nashville for 2 days then visit some friends in AL and the last 3 days in the Knoxville area.
Funny you talk about the Big Orange. I've been an NFL guy for a long time, not following college that much. But with the way NFL's been acting recently, I think I'll start following college a whole lot more. So why not get behind our new home team?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,575 times
So, country, Gatlinburg is not, and love all the areas you visited. It will all depend on what your looking for in recreation, golf, fishing, and all sports?
I too used to follow some NFL teams, but with the salaries and players jumping teams so much, not so much anymore. I love my college sports, especially U T. and with all the coaching changes, still love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville