Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,348 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just thought I'd comment.

I have lived in Florida my whole life, and as you can imagine, no one has a basement here. Where I live you literally only have to dig 4 or 5 feet and you get water. Needless to say, storage is a problem. When my family moves to Tennessee, we are going to do all we can to get a house with a basement. We are looking mainly at the Knoxville area, and the majority of the houses we saw did have basements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 30,442 times
any comments on what a "crawl space" is?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
It is a space under your house that gives you access to things such as your pluming pipes and you have to crawl in it cause that is usually about all the space you have under there.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
This website gives a pretty good illustration of what a crawl space is:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/house6.htm

A moisture barrier, plenty of drainage, and good venting are essential. Your home inspector will check that area out.

Last edited by jmarkey; 04-11-2007 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 02-23-2008, 10:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Basements are every where, we just moved in Oct 07, and most homes in our new area, have basements. Builders will tell you, it usually depends on the lot and usually find them when the lots have some slope or different levels. It usually adds a good value for resales also.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
My house, in Maryville, has a partial basement. One half of the basement is crawl space, accessible from outside. The other half is a "real" basement, heated and cooled,etc. with stairs from inside. We bought this house from the owners/builders and they only wanted to dig out half a basement. Our basement is around 1000 sq feet.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Smile I really dig basements!

I cannot speak for the entire area, but with the real estate that we have seen so far, they have all have full basements.

We plan on having a basement if we build and will only buy an existing house that does have a basement.

They not only offer storm protection, if needed, and storage area, but they are a wonderful way to save energy in the bargain. In the winter they help to keep your first floor warmer by insulating it from the colder ground. In the summer they will help keep your house cooler, again by offering a buffer space where cool air (being heavier) will collect and keep at least your flooring cooler.

In other homes we have had with basements we have even used the basement as a make shift air conditioner by opening the basement door on very hot days and using a whole house fan, pulled the cooler air upstairs. This was in Michigan where central air was uncommon in homes.

A basement can also pprovide additiona; living space, if needed, remembering that if it is used for a bedroom there must be an adequate egress window or door in that room.

I say dig a basement if you can afford the additional $10 - $25K.

(Bbkaren, please do a little spell check for me here. I don't have my glasses on and this whole page is a blur!)

Old 02-24-2008, 03:40 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Since we looked primarily in the Maryville area I can't say it is the same in Knoxville... Half the house we looked at had basements, but many of the brand new ones did not, and had a crawl space instead.. The one we got has the basement. I agree with Gem, those were all good reasons to have one!!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
Basements are every where, we just moved in Oct 07, and most homes in our new area, have basements. Builders will tell you, it usually depends on the lot and usually find them when the lots have some slope or different levels. It usually adds a good value for resales also.
Bob, I had no idea it was you!

This is the son of your former next-door neighbors.

Edit - And to answer the topic starter's question, yes, there are a lot of basements in Knoxville.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 PM

66 posts, read 249,682 times
With the area so hilly I think a lot of houses have basements which open to the ground on one side (downhill). Maybe technically not a basement but better because of light and windows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville