U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM

616 posts, read 1,501,790 times

Advertisements

I would second Nashville.. there is way more to do there than Knoxville. And i live here..there are a ton of great bars and nightclubs that play live music all the time in Nashville..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM

374 posts, read 890,580 times
If I was a 27 year-old single female I'd go to Nashville...

Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,546,047 times
Have any of you that are voting for Nashville been to downtown Knoxville in the past year; specifically Gay Street, Market Square and The Old City?

By the way, thank goodness you've abandoned the PF/Gatlinburg trip, Detroiter! Phew! Vacation-From-Hell diverted!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM

I have no doubt that downtown has vastly improved since I last worked there in 2004. The Old City has always been a fun place, but it is VERY small and still can't compare to what Nashville can offer - just my opinion...

Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I have no doubt that downtown has vastly improved since I last worked there in 2004. The Old City has always been a fun place, but it is VERY small and still can't compare to what Nashville can offer - just my opinion...
The Old City, Market Square, downtown have all dramatically changed in the past four or five years. If you haven't been down there since 2004 you will be pleasantly surprised.

I know when I first went downtown in 2005 I was very underwhelmed. I went to the farmer's market in 2006 and thought it was pretty pathetic.

I urge anyone that hasn't been downtown in the past few years to take a trip down. Yes, it's one thing to read that they've revitalized this or that but along with that comes a domino effect that spreads to all quarters. To see how far it has come in the past few years is very exciting.

But like I've said, I need to stop singing Knoxville's praises. I really do.

Bear in mind, Detroiter, that if you want to see The Smokies or The Cumberland mountains then Knoxville is a good place to be, too.

It's probably worth a short trip to see Chattanooga, too, with Rock City, the aquarium, the art museum, etc. Why not plan a vacation that will encompass all three cities? Or is this just a weekend thing?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 104,217 times
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'm still intrigued by Knoxville, mostly because of the fact that I've been to Nashville before (twice, but on business and did not get to enjoy or partake in any recreational activities.) I loved Nashville and have always wanted to get back for fun, but driving through the Knoxville area last weekend really intrigued me - it was absolutely beautiful and the area seemed to have a good feeling to it.

Also, I'm a huge college football fan and would love to see Neyland Stadium, which could very well be the SECOND best stadium in college football (after Michigan Stadium, of course.)

Anyway.....I'm still up in the air for right now. I've got all summer and the dates aren't set in stone, so things could change!

Which city is better for meeting WOMEN? (I'm not inferring a one night stand type thing, but meeting women always makes things more fun)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM

ALRIGHT - NOW we can plan your vacation and you will have an awesome time

Don't just visit Neyland Stadium - go to a game there and then get back to us about it. Broadcasters have said absolutely no other college game can compare to a TN football game in Knoxville - including comparison to the Rose Bowl. It is awesome

The season-opening home game for the TENNESSEE VOLS is Sept 3, 2011 University of Tennessee Athletics Football. Because it's both opening football weekend AND Labor Day, book your hotel room NOW in downtown Knoxville - if you can even get availability - arrive Friday (or earlier), and walk to the game on Sat. Some tailgate parties start Fri night...single women will be everywhere

AND, we have this little event called Boomsday - on Sept 4 this year - here's the link Boomsday 2011 - September 4th @ Neyland Drive and Volunteer Landing
This is something you definitely will want to see and it's FREE. Lots of choices for a party atmosphere, tops on the list would be Calhoun's on the River.

Monday is Labor Day and you'll have plenty of time to visit the sights downtown and in The Old City.

Knoxville will be at fever pitch for football season to begin, you'll hear Rocky Top everywhere and you'll get (what I think) is the just about the best time for the city. You can buy your orange shirt now...or wait till you get here Football season in Knoxville is awesome and if you like football - come on down - we'll get your blood running orange

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
ALRIGHT - NOW we can plan your vacation and you will have an awesome time

Don't just visit Neyland Stadium - go to a game there and then get back to us about it. Broadcasters have said absolutely no other college game can compare to a TN football game in Knoxville - including comparison to the Rose Bowl. It is awesome

The season-opening home game for the TENNESSEE VOLS is Sept 3, 2011 University of Tennessee Athletics Football. Because it's both opening football weekend AND Labor Day, book your hotel room NOW in downtown Knoxville - if you can even get availability - arrive Friday (or earlier), and walk to the game on Sat. Some tailgate parties start Fri night...single women will be everywhere

AND, we have this little event called Boomsday - on Sept 4 this year - here's the link Boomsday 2011 - September 4th @ Neyland Drive and Volunteer Landing
This is something you definitely will want to see and it's FREE. Lots of choices for a party atmosphere, tops on the list would be Calhoun's on the River.

Monday is Labor Day and you'll have plenty of time to visit the sights downtown and in The Old City.

Knoxville will be at fever pitch for football season to begin, you'll hear Rocky Top everywhere and you'll get (what I think) is the just about the best time for the city. You can buy your orange shirt now...or wait till you get here Football season in Knoxville is awesome and if you like football - come on down - we'll get your blood running orange
What a great post! I concur!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM

19 posts, read 104,217 times
Great post TN Gal Now!!!

I'll definitely look into it - but I would never wear Tennesse Orange. I'm Michigan Maize and Blue, through and through!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter83 View Post
Great post TN Gal Now!!!

I'll definitely look into it - but I would never wear Tennesse Orange. I'm Michigan Maize and Blue, through and through!
Awww, come on now....orange looks good on everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville