Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 41,932 times

Advertisements

Before I get to the question, I feel the need to let you know a little bit about my reasons for doing this.

I have lived in NJ all my life, but about 15 years ago I got a chance to see a good portion of the rest of the country and have wanted to leave here ever since. I had a job that had me on the road a solid 4 years, only coming home about once every 6 months or so. Was in some very small towns like Lost Springs, WY pop-4, Liberal, Ks and some larger cities like Phoenix, AZ and St. Louis, Mo. I found, that every time I came home, it felt less and less like home. I notice how much More relaxed and friendly people were in the rest of the country compared to how rushed and rude the people are here. I found I really love small town America! The peace and quite of the mountains, the open and honestness of the people and the general lack of crowds and stress.

Well, that job came to an end and a few years later I met and married my wife. The subject of moving has come up many times, but never happened, usually due to economic reasons. Well now things are different, the job I have now allows me the freedom to live anywhere as I do all my work over the Internet from home. My wife got laid-off 2 years ago and is still only able to get Temp assignments, so she has no ties to any job at the moment.

We recently went to a car show in Pigeon Forge and decided to start looking for a new home while we were there. We didn't find anything we liked in our price range in that area so we expanded our search when we got home via the Internet.

We've found, what appears to be anyway, the perfect house for us. It's in a town called Jellico. Neither of us have ever been there, but it looks like a nice, quiet little place to live. Unfortunately, Google maps and real estate web sites aren't going to give us a true picture of what life is like there.

So before we hop on a plane to come and see the house, it would be nice to know some background information from anyone who may live in around Jellico. My 1 concern of course, is Internet access. Since it is a small town in the mountains, I have to wonder what the availability is of reliable high speed access. Basically though, any information about anything there would be a help.

Thanks! Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,187,887 times
I suggest you contact a Realtor in Jellico and ask all the questions you need answered.
Its a very small town right near the border of TN and KY. I have only been there once and wasn't there long enough to get much of an idea what the town is about. It's quite a distance from Knoxville.

You may also want to get in touch with a Realtor in Knoxville and see what's available in your price range around here.

Internet shopping is a huge risk, even if you are familiar with the area. I have looked up homes on the internet (in Knoxville), and wondered why they were so dirt cheap - then I looked at the map and saw where they were. If someone wasn't familiar with the area, they might just buy one of those bargains(????) and be very sorry.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I suggest you contact a Realtor in Jellico and ask all the questions you need answered.
Its a very small town right near the border of TN and KY. I have only been there once and wasn't there long enough to get much of an idea what the town is about. It's quite a distance from Knoxville.

You may also want to get in touch with a Realtor in Knoxville and see what's available in your price range around here.

Internet shopping is a huge risk, even if you are familiar with the area. I have looked up homes on the Internet (in Knoxville), and wondered why they were so dirt cheap - then I looked at the map and saw where they were. If someone wasn't familiar with the area, they might just buy one of those bargains(????) and be very sorry.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's just the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. Whenever I find a listing that looks interesting, the first thing I do is map the address and get the satellite imaging (street view where possible) to get as much geographical information as possible.

I already have 2 realtor's I've been working with, 1 in the Nashville area and one in the Sevierville area. I've contacted a 3rd in the Knoxville area as well, he's the listing agent for the property in Jellico, but I haven't heard from him yet.

I'm not tied to going to any one place in particular, I just know I want out of NJ and my wife loves Tennessee. All I want is someplace rural and off the beaten path somewhat. As long as I can get High speed Internet and it's not too far from a 1/4 mile Drag Strip I'll be happy!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM

374 posts, read 940,293 times
Well, since you asked...I personally think it's an extremely bad idea, but on the other hand, it might be exactly what you want.

Here's my observation as an overall generalization, recognizing that there are exceptions to everything. Many of us live in a populated area and long for the peaceful and quiet life of a small, rural town. We've driven through these areas and they exude charm and the perception of everything we think we want.

Now, there are two issues with that perception. One is that it is just that - a perception. The reality of actual life in an area cannot be discovered "visiting" or driving through. Reality for a place to live equals experience. The second issue is that we often discover that what we thought we wanted isn't at all the way we thought it would be and isn't at all what we really want (think divorce rate...) I would say the second issue is especially applicable to those moving from the north to the south. Now, for some their perception is also their reality. It is, however, a pretty big gamble if you're making a substantial financial investment based on perception.

I have virtually no experience with Jellico and some experience with Campbell County, which IMO operates on a good ol' boy mentality. Personally, I would not prefer to voluntarily move to a city that has one-third of its population living at less than poverty level with little opportunity for employment and no close metropolitan area. My guess is they might have some issues with "outsiders", but I'll leave that to others here to address. I also believe that any small, rural town in E TN is going to be vastly different from ANYPLACE in NJ and you will experience a level of "culture shock" depending upon where you locate. Culture shock can work both ways and is not necessarily a bad thing, but then again, the word shock is there for a reason...

Someone here please correct me if I have the wrong county, but I believe Campbell County's budget has decreased to the point that they can no longer afford to pay someone for animal control and have NO county-funded shelters for stray animals. I believe there was an TV segment regarding this and the huge problem stray dogs have become. Unemployment rate is around 13% +/- and the likelihood of your wife finding even temporary work will not be great. Another guess is that "locals" get preference for jobs...

You would be EXTREMELY wise to, first, back-track through the multitude of threads and posts here regarding advice to others considering moving to E TN and, second, actually HEED some of the advice. You would be even wiser to chose a place you THINK you'll like and RENT there for a while to see if you like the area.

If I were moving into an area with which I was totally unfamiliar, and my plan was to immediately purchase a home (what I did), I would certainly consider ease and likelihood of resale/investment recovery should I change my mind (what I didn't do). My guess is the area you're considering appears to be not be a good area for resale - especially in this economy. As noted, my advice here is exactly opposite of what I actually DID 29 years ago, so mine is the voice of experience and lessons well-learned.

Jellico, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campbell County Tennessee QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

There are many, many wonderful areas of E TN that I really believe you would love and be happy to call home. E TN is a beautiful area, great people, has tons of charm, and can offer a great lifestyle. It's just that there are at least the same number of places in this area that can make your life miserable. It takes time to figure out which area would be a best fit for you and your family. My suggestion is to begin a base camp somewhere in Knox county and then begin exploring the surrounding areas to discover exactly where you fit. You simply cannot do that by looking online.

The people in Knoxville are friendly and welcoming and will be happy to offer opinions and suggestions about the different areas. Whatever you decide, please stay in touch with us here, wecome to TN, and good luck

Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

394 posts, read 789,406 times
This is what I did in my search for the right area for us.

First, I knew I wanted to be close to K'ville because of medical facilities, when you're getting old it matters a lot and proved right back in January.

Anyways. I went onto this site: Find Homes By Area and found listings that interested me in Knox and surrounding counties. I then spent a week driving around and by the listings (without an agent as I knew I'd be roaming).

That left me focused on west Knoxville although I wasn't ruling out the north side of town. Then I started trips down with the wife and tied up with an agent. We bought in west Knox.

One thing to keep in mind is you can be 15-30 minutes from the center of Knoxville and be in real country. We love Knoxville because it has the amenities and services similar to where we came from (DC) yet doesn't have the huge sprawl and traffic we so disliked (a lot of locals don't like west side traffic, but it depends on what you're used to). Be sure to meet as many locals as you can, great people. Get used to everyone waving at you as you're driving around.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Well, since you asked...I personally think it's an extremely bad idea, but on the other hand, it might be exactly what you want.

Here's my observation as an overall generalization, recognizing that there are exceptions to everything. Many of us live in a populated area and long for the peaceful and quiet life of a small, rural town. We've driven through these areas and they exude charm and the perception of everything we think we want.

Now, there are two issues with that perception. One is that it is just that - a perception. The reality of actual life in an area cannot be discovered "visiting" or driving through. Reality for a place to live equals experience. The second issue is that we often discover that what we thought we wanted isn't at all the way we thought it would be and isn't at all what we really want (think divorce rate...) I would say the second issue is especially applicable to those moving from the north to the south. Now, for some their perception is also their reality. It is, however, a pretty big gamble if you're making a substantial financial investment based on perception.

I have virtually no experience with Jellico and some experience with Campbell County, which IMO operates on a good ol' boy mentality. Personally, I would not prefer to voluntarily move to a city that has one-third of its population living at less than poverty level with little opportunity for employment and no close metropolitan area. My guess is they might have some issues with "outsiders", but I'll leave that to others here to address. I also believe that any small, rural town in E TN is going to be vastly different from ANYPLACE in NJ and you will experience a level of "culture shock" depending upon where you locate. Culture shock can work both ways and is not necessarily a bad thing, but then again, the word shock is there for a reason...

Someone here please correct me if I have the wrong county, but I believe Campbell County's budget has decreased to the point that they can no longer afford to pay someone for animal control and have NO county-funded shelters for stray animals. I believe there was an TV segment regarding this and the huge problem stray dogs have become. Unemployment rate is around 13% +/- and the likelihood of your wife finding even temporary work will not be great. Another guess is that "locals" get preference for jobs...

You would be EXTREMELY wise to, first, back-track through the multitude of threads and posts here regarding advice to others considering moving to E TN and, second, actually HEED some of the advice. You would be even wiser to chose a place you THINK you'll like and RENT there for a while to see if you like the area.

If I were moving into an area with which I was totally unfamiliar, and my plan was to immediately purchase a home (what I did), I would certainly consider ease and likelihood of resale/investment recovery should I change my mind (what I didn't do). My guess is the area you're considering appears to be not be a good area for resale - especially in this economy. As noted, my advice here is exactly opposite of what I actually DID 29 years ago, so mine is the voice of experience and lessons well-learned.

Jellico, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campbell County Tennessee QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

There are many, many wonderful areas of E TN that I really believe you would love and be happy to call home. E TN is a beautiful area, great people, has tons of charm, and can offer a great lifestyle. It's just that there are at least the same number of places in this area that can make your life miserable. It takes time to figure out which area would be a best fit for you and your family. My suggestion is to begin a base camp somewhere in Knox county and then begin exploring the surrounding areas to discover exactly where you fit. You simply cannot do that by looking online.

The people in Knoxville are friendly and welcoming and will be happy to offer opinions and suggestions about the different areas. Whatever you decide, please stay in touch with us here, wecome to TN, and good luck
I think TN Gal now should re-post this every time someone from up north asks about moving to a small town in the nether corners of East Tennessee. Her post is excellent advice.

While I think Jellico is a pictoresque little town in a gorgeous setting, I would absolutely not recommend that someone (anyone) buy a house there who's never been there and has, quite frankly, somewhat of a too romanticized image of what it'll be like to live in a tiny town in the hills of East Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM

374 posts, read 940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think TN Gal now should re-post this every time someone from up north asks about moving to a small town in the nether corners of East Tennessee. Her post is excellent advice.

While I think Jellico is a pictoresque little town in a gorgeous setting, I would absolutely not recommend that someone (anyone) buy a house there who's never been there and has, quite frankly, somewhat of a too romanticized image of what it'll be like to live in a tiny town in the hills of East Tennessee.
Why...thank you JMT that's a really nice compliment.

And I think romanticized is the absolutely PERFECT word to describe the attitude many have when they imagine moving to small-town, rural E TN. The "romantic" images that come to MY mind are... rockin' on the front porch and shuckin' corn, waving at a neighbor as the truck rolls along a gravel road, rolling out biscuits on the kitchen counter while the breeze wafts through the gingham curtains, and during the cooler months splitting wood and later sitting by a crackling fire while Pa smokes a corncob pipe and Ma crochets one night and quilts the next. The clerks all call you by name and ask how your daughter/son/mother/father or brother/sister/aunt/uncle is doing and the banks make loans based on your word, honor, and a handshake. No one honks the horn unless they want your attention so you can see them wave at you and there are no real traffic jams. We go to work, play on the weekends, watch Little Leage baseball/softball/football and, basically, life is relaxed, good, and no real worries - those were left behind. I suppose it's that way for some, but those romantic scenes can be elusive for many...

What might need to be inserted in some of those images...meth labs in the rural trailers/houses that might be next door; no job = no work = worry about paying for mortgage/utilities/groceries; making a wrong turn on a gravel road and being greeted with a shotgun; greeted at the store with "you're not from around here, are ya?" - and not in a congenial tone...

Afterthought: my personal romantic REAL image is the memory of driving to work very early one winter morning on a two-lane country road. I think I was driving on Hwy 321 on my way, near Greenville, to Johnson City. The sun was barely up. I passed a farmer in a heavy winter jacket, pail in hand, on his way to feed cows, barn and silo in the background, and snow on the ground. There was a cow tending her brand new calf. The calf was so new steam rose from its wet, warm body, umbilical cord still dangling. It was a scene so sweet and perfect it brought a lump to my throat. Nearly 30 years later, the memory is just as sweet. It's something so beautiful I could never have imagined it.

It's also counter-balanced with the memory that I had recently moved from central FL to Newport (I'd perceived Newport = Mayberry) and was driving around 80 miles one-way to work... and darn lucky to even have a job...

Just some things to think about...and, thanks again

Last edited by TN Gal now; 06-15-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
The "hills" in some areas of East Tennessee, Kentucky and other areas can be scary. Locals in Knoxville will be happy to tell you about some of the things that go on in caves up in that area that you are looking in. I've lived here for six years and I am constantly amused by the crime that goes on in some of these small towns and communities compared to the inner city.

No, I don't think there is high-speed internet. But even if there were I wouldn't live in that area. I went to school with a transplant that moved to Campbell County and to say he made an enormous mistake is an understatement. Last I talked to him he was looking to selling and moving to Knoxville.

And that's the thing about Knoxville. It's not like a city up north. It's more like a very large town. The waving, letting strangers into traffic and not honking of horns is done around here - in Knoxville - but we are welcoming to all.

The truth is there is a huge difference between a small town in the middle of the country, a tourist area of Pigeon Forge and the hills of Appalachia. Most think the latter died out a long time ago, only left for documentaries, feature films and research papers.

Yes! TNGalNow should re-post that every times someone inquires about these little towns.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrshaw View Post

I'm not tied to going to any one place in particular, I just know I want out of NJ and my wife loves Tennessee. All I want is someplace rural and off the beaten path somewhat. As long as I can get High speed Internet and it's not too far from a 1/4 mile Drag Strip I'll be happy!
Just noticed this.

Ten minutes in any direction from downtown Knoxville you will be in rural areas. I'm from the northeast and the cities around here are very different.

The drag strip is not in Jellico, friend. It's in Knoxville. Well, technically, Maynardville but close enough. Knoxville Dragstrip in Maynardville, TN

Seriously. Find a job in our area first, then find a place to live. I don't say "never" but the chances of any of you getting a job in Jellico or anywhere near there are slim to none.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

OK, Thanks! Some really good information.

Just a couple of things that I may have overlooked about our situation.

While I wish that I could, I can't just pick up and go driving around to see what area's I would like to live in. I have to do the lion's share of narrowing it down via the Internet. Once we have decided on a place and everything is pretty much set, we will fly out on a Friday night and spend the weekend checking everything out more throughly. I know it's not the best way, but it's the best we can do right now. As a temp, my wife doesn't get paid when she takes time off and I've used up most of my PTO time at the moment and it will take some time to build it back up again.

Also, renting is not really an option for us. I'm not sure what it's like there, but I know here it's almost imposable to find a descent apartment that takes dogs. Plus I absolutely must have a garage big enough to keep and work on my race car.

I'm really just trying to find a place inexpensive enough that my wife will not even have to get a job, unless she wants to. Plus an area that there is a lot less noise and less traffic. Currently we live 1 block off of US RT 1 with US RT 287, RT 9, the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway all less than a mile away. Plus we are about 1/2 mile away from a major shopping mall. Traffic is horrendous no matter what time of the day or night it is!

The noise issue is something different all together and this is not the forum for that discussion. Lets just say I have a neighbor who thinks everyday should be an all day Grateful Dead concert at 100 db (not exaggerating, I have a DB meter!) and doesn't care who it bothers.

But I do get what everyone is saying and appreciate the honesty. So perhaps Jellico may not be the place for us to go. It's just that the house seems so perfect for us. We'd be paying less than half of the mortgage we have now for almost 3x the house and property with the taxes being next to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville