Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,312 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone who lives in the beautiful state of Tennessee , My husband and I are wanting to move to Tennessee, but have no idea to what part. We are a young married couple with a three year old son, We would like anyone's opinion on schools, jobs, housing (renting or owning), crimes etc.

We have been told to maybe check out the Anderson County, Blount County, and even Knox County. Are any of these areas good or bad live in. My husband would like a driving job possible he has a CDL Class B license.
Are there any newspapers online to help with job listings.

If there is anything else that i might of missed i would really appreciate if anyone would give us some really good advice.

May God Bless you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
There is a plethora of information on this forum about all those areas. Each county, far as I can see, has its good and bad areas. Indeed, many towns have their own good and bad areas.

Get a big cup of coffee and start looking at a map, decide how far you'd like to be from a particular city, and make a circle around that city.

Then you can investigate towns within the circle and work from there!

Practically every town/city will have threads that mention it. Just use the "search" feature.

Once you've narrowed your search down to a particular area (or even county) people will be happy to answer your specific questions since they're incredibly helpful here!

We were looking for land within about 30 minutes of Knoxville. Well, one thing we found out, is that "Knoxville" itself can be 30 minutes from one side to the other, so we had to choose a particular area of Knoxville to center on (for work).

If you're interested, our long investigative journey beginning at Erwin and, (Lord willing) ending in Kingston, is documented here. Once you read the first post you might decide to read on if your needs/wants are similar to ours:

//www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...-w-30-min.html

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawallz8401 View Post
Hi everyone who lives in the beautiful state of Tennessee , My husband and I are wanting to move to Tennessee, but have no idea to what part. We are a young married couple with a three year old son, We would like anyone's opinion on schools, jobs, housing (renting or owning), crimes etc.

We have been told to maybe check out the Anderson County, Blount County, and even Knox County. Are any of these areas good or bad live in. My husband would like a driving job possible he has a CDL Class B license.
Are there any newspapers online to help with job listings.

If there is anything else that i might of missed i would really appreciate if anyone would give us some really good advice.

May God Bless you all.
CDL and experience he can get a job today anywhere in East Tennessee. They're begging for drivers. There are quite a few distribution centers here and several huge trucking companies around Morristown, including Covenant Transport.
You can look for ads in the Knoxville News-Sentinel
knoxnews.com JOBS - Find jobs and quality employees in the Knoxville and East Tennessee area

Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,312 times
thank you, bbkaren, i wil definitly check out your post...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
There are CDL drivers needed all over East TN. Here is a list of just about all newspapers in TN. Good luck!
Tennessee Newspapers (TN) : Newspapers from Tennessee : Tennessee News

Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,510 times
Post Thinking about relocating?????

Hello everyone! My husband and I are thinking about relocationg to east TN, but we don't have a clue where to begin. We currently live in VA - Salem City actually, and although its a nice city (a bit expensive I must say), we've decided that it is time for a change. I'll be graduating from college next spring with a degree in the Healthcare Field as a pharmacy technician, and from the research I've done, it appears that TN has a fair job outlook in that field. My husband currently is a warehouse manager for Mancon (a company that is affiliated with VDOT), and he is a bit concerned with finding a job in that type of field......

We are both very laid-back people, and love the country - (I'd choose the mountains over the beach anyday!! ). So we would be interested in a place that is a bit more secluded - I hear Oakridge, Maryville, & Sevierville are pretty good areas. I love Gatlinburg, but hear that it is pretty congested year-round. We don't have any children at this time, but are planning on starting a family in the next couple of years, so a good school system is going to be an important factor (amongst many other things!)

We are actually taking a mini vacation in October - headed to Gatlinburg - so we'll be checking out the area.

I know there is ALOT to consider when moving to another state, and believe me, we are going to do our homework..........but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 PM

25 posts, read 100,764 times
Dawall,

My husband abd I recently relocatedto the east tennessee area, we have only been here a few weeks. If you want to privae message me, I would be more than happy to share my experiences with you. We are in our 30's as well.

p.s.
Coca-Cola in Knoxville is always looking for drivers

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinfitz View Post
We are both very laid-back people, and love the country - (I'd choose the mountains over the beach anyday!! ). So we would be interested in a place that is a bit more secluded - I hear Oakridge, Maryville, & Sevierville are pretty good areas. I love Gatlinburg, but hear that it is pretty congested year-round. We don't have any children at this time, but are planning on starting a family in the next couple of years, so a good school system is going to be an important factor (amongst many other things!)
If you want somewhere secluded, don't go to Oak Ridge, Maryville, or Sevierville. Sevierville in particular is in the middle of one of the most crowded tourist areas in the country (Sevierville-Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg). Oak Ridge and Maryville are both busy suburbs of Knoxville. The Knoxville airport is adjacent to Maryville.

If you want to be in the Knoxville region but want to be in a more secluded area, check out East Knox County (Thorn Grove, Marbledale, Strawberry Plains), Roane County (Kingston, Harriman, and Rockwood), Loudon County (Lenoir city and Loudon), and Jefferson County (Jefferson City and Dandridge). All of those places have affordable housing, beautiful scenery, and are close enough to Knoxville to have plenty of job opportunities.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Another option you might want to consider is the Tri-Cities. There are many little towns and areas on the out skirts of the "cities" with easy travel to work but seems to be way out in the country. Mountain States Health Alliance is the large manging system for most health care in this area, check out their web site. There are many positions in your husbands field also. Unfortunately the area employers are not the best at advertising them. Give the employment agencies such as Snelling or At Work a look, they place a large amount of the employees here.
Where ever you end up, good luck and an early welcome to TN!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 30,177 times
Knox County is a great place to live. They have many trucking companies that are in need of drivers and make excellent money. As for housing you could try the Knoxville News Sentinel, East Knox News, The Knoxville Journal and American Post. I lived in East Knox County for 43 years, born and raised and it is a great place to live. Good luck where ever you decide to go, and know that your husband should not have any problems locating a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville