Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,124 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Time for a change, my wife and I are so tired of Idaho and the color Brown, after doing many…many searches on the internet Clinton, TN. Kept coming up as a nice family friendly place to raise kids, education ranked pretty high, and still had a small town fill to it. We want feedback from the locals in the area. I am LPN so just wanting in put about jobs opportunities, housing, and stuff do to with 2 small kids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![/SIZE]

Last edited by Done with Idaho; 08-21-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I'm surprised. I didn't think their schools were that great. The town looks slightly run down. Just slightly but I wouldn't go out of my way to move there. You would probably have better luck in Knoxville. Don't let the word "city" scare you off. Knoxville feels like a very big town. Do a search of our forum.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 AM

75 posts, read 226,672 times
I work in Clinton. It's a small town, with a very different feel from Knoxville. If you're moving to East Tennessee, you'll find what you like, whether it's Clinton, Fountain City, W. Knox, Seymour, Maryville, etc. Keep asking questions, and then come visit.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 AM

394 posts, read 794,807 times
+1 on the come and visit. It's the only way to find the area that "fits" you.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done with Idaho View Post
[SIZE=3]Time for a change, my wife and I are so tired of Idaho and the color Brown, after doing many…many searches on the internet Clinton, TN. Kept coming up as a nice family friendly place to raise kids, education ranked pretty high, and still had a small town fill to it. We want feedback from the locals in the area. I am LPN so just wanting in put about jobs opportunities, housing, and stuff do to with 2 small kids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![/SIZE]
I have several friends from Idaho here in Knoxville and also in Cookeville, and they love living in TN. I had dinner last night with some friends who moved here last year from Blackfoot, others are from Rexburg, Twin Falls, and Coeur d'Alene.

What is it you're looking for? I'm with hiknapster, I've never been really impressed with Clinton. Around here at least, its schools aren't particularly known to be top notch, and the town looks very worn and run-down, at least compared to other places around here.

Tennessee is a beautiful state that has some great little towns, and some nice big towns if you're into that. Be more specific with your criteria and we can help you focus on some options.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,124 times
[SIZE=3]Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming, we are looking for a good place to raise our two kids, ages 3 years and 10 months (that’s why the education concern), as a family we enjoy spending time outdoors, riding ATVs, Hunting, Fishing, Geocaching, Auto Racing, I enjoy Amateur Radio, as a couple we like jumping on the V-Star and cruising (I guess that should be under family since my 3 year old girl loves to get on behind me, a little illegal here) I’m a gun owner and hate strict gun laws (have already checked on that and the laws look pretty descent)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That being said, we are basically looking for a nice small town feel were we can raise our kids, let them go play outside without worrying about it to much (we don’t let them out of our sight here) a place that’s not brown, isn’t desert, we are done with subdivisions and would like a place with ½ to 1 acre (or bigger depending on money) my wife is from NC and has been here about 10 years, I’ve been in Idaho all 52 years of my life, her family is in NC so we are wanting to get closer to her family so it’s easier for them to see their grandkids, but yet we want to be far enough away they won’t be visiting everyday (don’t get be wrong, their great people, we love them to death but we like our privacy to) my wife is an LPN trying to get back to school to get an RN, I am retired military currently working as a security supervisor at a local hospital, our plan is for her to work and me to stay home and play…I mean be a stay at home dad, we are an age gapped couple, I am older so looking to slow down a bit, I’m not above working nor lazy, just ready to slow down.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Housing prices in Clinton look pretty good compared to Knoxville, still checking on the job market for her, we are currently talking about when we can come back and spend about a week in the area, your right the only way to tell if its for us is to visit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m curious as to possibly getting in contact with the other people there from Idaho, exchange some emails and get their feel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]There’s good and bad everywhere, and we are in the first stage of this but one thing for sure is we are moving to that area somewhere and we want to make the right choice the first time, don’t want to get settled and wonder what we have done, its going to be hard enough, I also know if we do this like we do everything else we will be doing it with in the next 6 months or so.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks for all the help and info (good and bad) you can give us. [/SIZE]

Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM

I'd recommend Knox County. Good schools, lots of rural if you want it, short ride to major hospitals, colleges, shopping.

Try the Halls and Powell areas for starters. If not, we've got more areas to suit you.

Search Details

Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM

75 posts, read 226,672 times
Sounds like you're looking for acreage, and/or a more rural area. If you head up I 40, you can go towards Dandridge. Down 75 you can go to Lenoir City and Loudon. North of Knoxville is Tazewell. These are all rural towns that still allow you to be close to Knoxville.

I hate to sound repetitive, but I would rent a house in a rural area for 6 months to a year, and then visit those other small towns. You'll need to get a feel for greater Knoxville before making a permanent home.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme64 View Post
Sounds like you're looking for acreage, and/or a more rural area. If you head up I 40, you can go towards Dandridge. Down 75 you can go to Lenoir City and Loudon. North of Knoxville is Tazewell. These are all rural towns that still allow you to be close to Knoxville.

I hate to sound repetitive, but I would rent a house in a rural area for 6 months to a year, and then visit those other small towns. You'll need to get a feel for greater Knoxville before making a permanent home.
They said they want good schools.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
Looking for a place to live on the internet is not the best plan. You need to VISIT THE AREA to see what its really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville