Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

FromtheOC, hey there. Just wanted to follow up with you. What did you decide on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 PM

24 posts, read 126,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
FromtheOC, hey there. Just wanted to follow up with you. What did you decide on?
SmokyMtnGal, that is so nice of you to follow up on us. Thank you! I have been too busy packing these past few weeks to check the forum.

We ended up buying in Whittington Creek and we can't wait to close. Thanks to you and GoodbyeHollywood and the others who were so kind to give us good honest advice. It is perfect for us. We met our neighbors and they made us feel completely welcome. And there is a mom's group and a playgroup our daughter's age. We are so glad to have found such a great neighborhood. Now all we have to do is pack and move and buy appliances and sell the convertible. Now that hurts.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheOC View Post
SmokyMtnGal, that is so nice of you to follow up on us. Thank you! I have been too busy packing these past few weeks to check the forum.

We ended up buying in Whittington Creek and we can't wait to close. Thanks to you and GoodbyeHollywood and the others who were so kind to give us good honest advice. It is perfect for us. We met our neighbors and they made us feel completely welcome. And there is a mom's group and a playgroup our daughter's age. We are so glad to have found such a great neighborhood. Now all we have to do is pack and move and buy appliances and sell the convertible. Now that hurts.
OMGosh!! I am so tickled that it worked out for you!! Yay!!!! Wishing you a safe and uneventful move. Just DM if you need anything. Love and light.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Thank you SmokyMtnGal!! I'll take you up on that. There is so much to learn and do. The next hurdle is buying appliances. We are shopping here and will buy them there. Is it better to buy from a local appliance company or go to Sears or Lowes? We have about decided on Bosch everything. They are pricey but it does not seem like anyone gives you a deal there. Here in Cali the local dealers will deal like crazy and the water and utilities companies rebate you $350 on a front load washer. We cannot find anything like that in Tenn and nothing is on sale which is sort of a bummer. And I see that your sales tax is even higher than ours! Any advice?

Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Congratulations, OC, on your new home. My husband and I looked at Whittington Creek a few weeks back when we were in the Knoxville area property hunting. It is lovely there.

I am so glad that you will have a play group for your daughter, and nothing can help you melt right into a new area faster than a mom's group. I always felt fortunate when I had that support in our moves.

Enjoy yoour new home. It will be a busy few weeks for you coming up.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Congratulations, OC, on your new home. My husband and I looked at Whittington Creek a few weeks back when we were in the Knoxville area property hunting. It is lovely there.

I am so glad that you will have a play group for your daughter, and nothing can help you melt right into a new area faster than a mom's group. I always felt fortunate when I had that support in our moves.

Enjoy yoour new home. It will be a busy few weeks for you coming up.
Hi gemthornton! Thank you for the well wishes! Are you still looking in WC? Or did you decide on somewhere else? We looked at so many neighborhoods and it was hard to make a choice. I hope you find your perfect home too!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheOC View Post
Hi gemthornton! Thank you for the well wishes! Are you still looking in WC? Or did you decide on somewhere else? We looked at so many neighborhoods and it was hard to make a choice. I hope you find your perfect home too!
We are still looking. We have hoped to build our last house. My hubby just retired (a bit early, I might add!) so this move will be it for us.

We saw two houses last month in Whittington Creek that were for sale and were just what we were looking for from the outside. We weren't out with our agent so did not to go into either of them. But, it is a beautiful neighborhood.

I understand how thrilled you must be to have met some neighbors already. While we driving around there, 2 different residents waved to us as we were coasting past! What a great feeling to feel so welcomed.

I am sure you will love it there. We are going to be back up the third week in October to search some more and will check to see what is available in Whittington Creek at the time. We keep going back to the same three lots with lovely mt. views in Maryville, so that might be a sign of something that we should pay attention to!

You mentioned that it was a very difficult decision to make, but when you make it you it just feels right. Very exciting. We are so anxious to move ourselves and we're sure that just the right spot is waiting there for us.

Maybe we'll bump into one another in the neighborhood!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 16,963 times
Default Knoxville is Great

I am also from california, and have lived here for several (13) years! Those are very nice areas, but the homes are on top of eachother just like california! I would look further west like in farragut, the schools are better, and resale always stays up! Look in the Turkey Creek area, and also neighborhoods like River Sound, and Admirals Landing, they are lakefront comunities, and they are in better school districts. [mod]soliciting[/mod]

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-24-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Use DM if you want to recommend an agent.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Thumbs up Congrats to you!

Congrats to you, FromtheOC! I'm glad you were able to find the right property in an area that already feels like "home." I agree with gemthornton-- Whittington Creek is beautiful.

Your info isn't accurate, bflash. I looked in every area you mention before I bought last year. Gettysvue and WC both have some of the larger lots in the Northshore corridor, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get this much land in that area. GV does have some condos, but otherwise, the homes there are not on top of each other, unlike Admiral's Landing, which has small patio home lots where the neighbors' windows look into yours.

WC has estate zoning throughout, with lots .5 acre and up. River Sound, while lovely, is older and more expensive and Lousiville is way out and isolated. Neither is ideal for a young family with small children, which the OP indicated she has.

FromtheOC, it sounds like you made a swell choice right on target with your needs. Good luck! I hope you love Knoxville! I'm with SmokyMtnGal-- DM me if I can help you further.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Has anyone heard from FromtheOC?? I hope that she and her family have settled in well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville