Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Raleigh area but my wife and I are going to the football game on Saturday and I'm slated to run 4.5 miles Saturday and 10 on Sunday.

We are staying at one of the hotels downtown, though I can't remember which one this time. Any local runners have some ideas for a good route? I know I can run down by the river as I did that last winter when we were there for a Basketball game. Made a nice 3.5 mile route.

It looks like maybe I could hit the river greenway again and then head along Neyland to Kingston/Cumberland, then cut over by Worlds Fair Park maybe to Summit Hill, to Hill then James White back to Neyland. I'll have to check for sure, but it seems close to 10 miles or so. Any problems running that route about 6:30-7AM start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 02:37 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,315 times
If you're going 6:30 7a, you will avoid most of the gameday traffic...If it was me, I'd drive a couple miles to Cherokee park in Sequoyah Hills, and run that. Part of it is by the river, and the houses are great to look at.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
No problems at all. And I was going to suggest to you that same route. Bear in mind you are getting advice from a woman that is athletically challenged, among other things.

I am sure you have the maps but for those others that don't:

Knoxville Track Club

Welcome to Knoxville. I went to the Montana game, my first Vols' football game and it rocked.

Go Big Orange!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No problems at all. And I was going to suggest to you that same route. Bear in mind you are getting advice from a woman that is athletically challenged, among other things.

I am sure you have the maps but for those others that don't:

Knoxville Track Club

Welcome to Knoxville. I went to the Montana game, my first Vols' football game and it rocked.

Go Big Orange!
Your first one, Hik? What an experience! I promise they aren't usually that dramatic! You will have to again to see them actually run out in the "T". Ten years attending the game and I've never seen them not come out in the "T"! But was a great game

And I also love Lakeshore to run on. 2 laps will be 4.4 miles. It's just a couple miles more west if you want to venture out on Sunday. Don't let the mental institution in the middle scare ya

Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 PM

82 posts, read 200,671 times
My favorites are the Sequoyah Hills and Will Skelton Greenways. Both are beautiful and close to downtown. I used to run them religiously before I got a bum knee.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Thanks for the tips. I ended up staying mostly along the Neyland Greenway, then up through campus Saturday for the 4.5 miler and went out of dowtown via Summit Hill down Dandridge to Riverside to Neyland Greenway, then up to Cumberland for the 10 miler Sunday. We stayed at the Hilton, so finding my way back was no problem.

It was nice running down by Calhouns and the stadium at 7:30 AM on the morning of the game with everyone getting ready. Quite a difference when we were at those same places 3 or 4 hours later.

Lots of nice greenways in Knoxville and at least Neyland is pretty flat, even if everywhere else is so hilly (heard lots of Cincinatti people commenting on it). Plus at 55 in the morning, the weather sure was better than Raleigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville