Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,640,299 times

Advertisements

You can live very comfortably here with a middle-sized income or retirement.
I'm semi-retired and enjoying it. There's so much to do and it's so easy to do it.
I've taken several classes at UT from their "Professional and Personal Development" non-credit catalog and enjoyed them enormously. I'm taking Forensic Anthropology this fall and really looking forward to it. This may be the year I take the balloon animal class.
I hadn't thought about auditing regular classes. I may give that a try.
There are lots of craft places around that teach. I've taken potting wheel classes at Appalachian Crafts Center. The classes were fun but I'm not very good at it. I'll probably start some stained glass classes this fall. There are several places that offer them.
There's lots of opportunities for volunteer work. I work with FOG (Friends of UT Gardens) and there are people of all ages involved.
If you're bored in Knoxville, it's your own fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,107,414 times
Thumbs up Thanks for those great posts, JMT and knoxgarden!

I think affluence is all a state of mind anyhow. If you can be satisfied with keeping food on the table, gas in the car, volunteering in your community when you can, and enjoying all of the activities that the city has to offer, you can consider yourself affluent. That is more than enough for me.

Sounds like it would be impossible to be bored, knoxgarden and JMT, with all of those offerings! I'm going to switch my penny jar for a quarter jar. I'll need it. I'm anxious to check out the UT website for their non-credit classes, also. It sounds like you will be having a very busy fall, knoxgarden. That is quite a variety that UT offers; something for everyone.

How about dulcimer classes? Have you or anyone on the forum come across any hammered dulcimer or mountain dulcimer classes? I have both instruments thanks to my dear dad who was quite a craftsman. Although he made them for me a few years ago, I have never found a teacher or class, and am not proficient with either - in fact, I just am plain-no-good.

It is good to hear that the young students don't mind older thinkers in their company, JMT! If we can count on that stock market not dipping too much, I'd like to earn some post-graduate credits.

Once we settle in, I think that my better-half will have to help with the cooking and cleaning at my house - I won't be home much.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,844 times
Smile Thank you

I too am wanting to move to the knoxville area. My husband is retiring in 3 years and we have decided to get out of dodge (Florida), I love TN and its beauty!

I am currently, one of those older people who have gone back to college, but for me its to continue to work after my husband retires - he's ten years older than me. We think that in three years we can pull all of this together.

My question is my degree will be in paralegal/legal studies. Will I have a difficult time finding a job in Knoxville? Central Florida really doesn't pay very well so I'm used to that even though their cost of living is high. And I know the cost of homes has to be cheaper in Knoxville.

So I would appreciate if you can give me your opinion about the job market. That's the only thing that makes me a little nervous.

Oh, are the winters harsh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville