Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 AM

4 posts, read 8,132 times

Advertisements

Okay so i will be graduating high school in may and i plan on moving to go to college i currently live in murfreesboro,tn which is about 20-30 miles south of nashville population about 150,000 so not that big of a city im thinking of moving to knoxville ive been there a few times mostly to gatlinburg area though never really visited knoxville, ive been doing some research and knoxville looks pretty nice just looking for advice on good places to live in the city that are safe ive been looking at apartments on white ave downtown area any advice there would be great! also what type of arts scene/music scene does knoxville have? and how is the culture there not looking to live somewhere thats backwards...im hoping its something like murfreesboro since they are both college towns... any advice would be great.... im mostly likely visiting knoxville in the next month so any suggestions on what i should check out would be great too

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Since Knoxville is close to 3 times the size of Murfreesboro, I don't think you have to worry about going "backwards". Almost all of the homes have flush toilets now days. :-)

I suggest you do a little research on this forum for past threads on exactly the same topic. It has been covered, over and over and over again.

On your visit, spend some time downtown, Market Square, and The Old City. Then drive down Kingston Pike and go to Turkey Creek. You can pick up a free copy of Metro Pulse almost anywhere and you will find a lot of what is going on that week. In the Friday edition of the News Sentinel there is an insert that also has the weeks happenings too.

White Avenue is close to the Cumberland strip and campus. That area is full of apts and students. Maybe someone that has lived around there can comment on the overall safety. It seemed OK to me when I have been around there, but its always been in the middle of the day.

Good luck with your move.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I've been on White Avenue many times. That's part of Fort Sanders and as Barking Spider says, it is an area with a lot of college students living there as well as businesses and hospitals. You will hear that there is a LOT of crime but most of it is crime of opportunity and occurs late at night when some criminals like to take advantage of inebriated students. I've never felt unsafe in that area. When I first move here several years ago I read about an inordinate amount of crime. I had to have surgery at Fort Sanders Hospital and was quite afraid to take my daughter through there. I was surprised to see how nice the area actually is.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolthan View Post
Okay so i will be graduating high school in may and i plan on moving to go to college i currently live in murfreesboro,tn which is about 20-30 miles south of nashville population about 150,000 so not that big of a city im thinking of moving to knoxville ive been there a few times mostly to gatlinburg area though never really visited knoxville, ive been doing some research and knoxville looks pretty nice just looking for advice on good places to live in the city that are safe ive been looking at apartments on white ave downtown area any advice there would be great! also what type of arts scene/music scene does knoxville have? and how is the culture there not looking to live somewhere thats backwards...im hoping its something like murfreesboro since they are both college towns... any advice would be great.... im mostly likely visiting knoxville in the next month so any suggestions on what i should check out would be great too

Thanks!!!
Knoxville's college scene blows Murfreesboro's out of the water. The big difference is that Murfreesboro is close to Nashville, which blows Knoxville's nightlife out of the water. But as a poor college student, Knoxville offers a heck of a lot more than Murfreesboro.

Will you be entering UT as a freshman? If so, your housing has been decided for you; all freshmen have to live in the dorms unless you live with your family and commute.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM

No, I'm not going to UT i will be going to cosmetology school mostly likely paul mitchell or aveda. Does anyone know how the hair scene is? wondering if there will be job openings for hair when i graduate. I'm also thinking of moving to asheville, does anyone have an opinion of which city might suit my needs better?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
What ARE you needs?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolthan View Post
No, I'm not going to UT i will be going to cosmetology school mostly likely paul mitchell or aveda. Does anyone know how the hair scene is? wondering if there will be job openings for hair when i graduate. I'm also thinking of moving to asheville, does anyone have an opinion of which city might suit my needs better?
Good prospects for hair graduates in Knoxville. Always job openings but only the best of the best get to work at the top salons. Asheville is different. You should check that forum out.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM

So what would be the average cost of living for a one bedroom apartment you know water, electric, gas, internet?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM

16,067 posts, read 21,144,062 times
My son just did an apartment search a few months ago. Most of the halfway decent apartments were around $475 -$550. He got a small 500 ft for $500. I think he's paying $38 for internet. No gas, and the electric varies but I don't think it's a lot. $65- $100 maybe.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 AM

300 posts, read 348,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Good prospects for hair graduates in Knoxville. Always job openings but only the best of the best get to work at the top salons. Asheville is different. You should check that forum out.
I wouldn't check out Asheville. The unemployment rate is worse than Knoxville and Asheville focuses mainly on tourism. I seen somewhere that they have no job growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville