Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

For a scrapbook store? Either in or around Knoxville is what we're thinking. I think there is a store over by Pigeon Forge but have not found one around Maryville area. Does anyone have any ideas if this would be viable? Naturally we don't know if scrapbooking is as popular there as it has been other places we've lived and is here. My wife has always wanted to open one and while a lot of work I think it would be fun.
Thanks.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
For a scrapbook store? Either in or around Knoxville is what we're thinking. I think there is a store over by Pigeon Forge but have not found one around Maryville area. Does anyone have any ideas if this would be viable? Naturally we don't know if scrapbooking is as popular there as it has been other places we've lived and is here. My wife has always wanted to open one and while a lot of work I think it would be fun.
Thanks.......
Go to an online yellow pages to see if there are any in Knoxville/Maryville. If there are, once you get the address you can plug it into Mapquest to see where it's located within the town/city.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 68,310 times
There is a Scrapbook store in the Cedar Bluff/West Knoxville area.. my wife goes there. I'm not sure about Maryville.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housejunkie View Post
There is a Scrapbook store in the Cedar Bluff/West Knoxville area.. my wife goes there. I'm not sure about Maryville.
We have one in the Fowler's Furniture/Movie Theater shopping center in Maryville plus one other I believe. And there is Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:15 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Thumbs up Hope things work out for you.

There is an A.C. Moore and a Michaels' Arts and Craft store in Knoxville and I know that they dedicate a lot of their space to scrapbooking supplies, books, etc. Plus, Linda's Scrap Booking is at the Foothills Mall.

It is a very popular craft these days. It will be tricky to find an area that doesn't have a store that carries the supplies. Maybe if you and your wife could offer something that the others don't, such as a morning or afternoon scrapbooking bee to work on current projects together, exchange ideas, and share items.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 AM

113 posts, read 333,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
There is an A.C. Moore and a Michaels' Arts and Craft store in Knoxville and I know that they dedicate a lot of their space to scrapbooking supplies, books, etc. Plus, Linda's Scrap Booking is at the Foothills Mall.

It is a very popular craft these days. It will be tricky to find an area that doesn't have a store that carries the supplies. Maybe if you and your wife could offer something that the others don't, such as a morning or afternoon scrapbooking bee to work on current projects together, exchange ideas, and share items.
There is usually a spot in Tuesday Morning, in Alcoa, next to Maryville, that is dedicated to scrapbooking materials. I bought a carry case with the inserts for a little friend and saved over 50 dollars there. Also, Big Lots, nearby often carries some items. Gee, sorry for the bad news. What else are you thinking you like to do? Or, like Gem said, make it different. Ceramics? A Teddy Bear Shop? A special Toy/doll shop? Trains? We could really use more specialty shops in Maryville. A bakery with a kitchen store? A specialty gift shop? Incorporate other things ... there are nice plants all over but you could have a shop for topiaries, herbs, potpourri...that goes all year long. Lavender in topiaries are great and haven't found one place...incorporate a brand of stuffed animals. Check the gift shop over by Church St downtown and the one next to Tues Morning that does framing. Do a lot of research to make sure the local populace will support it. A specialty consignment shop...with housewares and new items to recycle. Made myself tired.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Michaels,Wal-Mart and the like really don't impact a good scrapbook store believe it or not.
My wife has been into it for years and we have found that the chain stores can't carry the same stuff as a stand alone store due to space and uniformity with the chain.

We would do classes, midnight crops and pretty much whatever the clientell dictated.
We almost bought a store in GA but found the owner was, how shall I say it, less than honest and was cooking the books and hiding inventory to open a store in E TN.
I guess we'll wait until we move and settle in to get the lay of the land but it doesn't look impossible.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,811 times
Smile Scrapbooks

There are a few independent scrapbook stores in Knoxville, AC Moore and Michaels and of course Severville has a large one, and I think Maryville has at least 2.

From the folks I have talked to, yes it's popular here, but it's not easy to open and run that type of business.

Location is key, having a large enough inventory (this will really impact you financially) and offering something unique to drive traffic to your retail location.

Wish you all the best!

Debs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville