U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 20,302 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Minnesota (in the Twin Cities). We are about two years out from moving after our final child goes to college. My husband has been doing business in Tennessee and thinks the Townsend area would be great for us. Of course, we are planning on going together soon. But I'd love to hear any feedback on the reality of living in that area.

We are homebodies (most of the time) who are looking for quiet, beautiful surroundings, good neighbors (best definition I guess is like us: live and let live), some access to shopping and restaurants, decent medical care, safe etc...Online, I can see that our budget will work for a single family home.

We have lived in a very urban situation (tons of people/cars/noise/graffitti/homes and buildings that are cared for and some that are not).

So in a nutshell, we want a pretty drama free new chapter: we take care of our property, are quiet and really feel like it's our turn for the same in a new part of the country.

Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM

4,667 posts, read 23,827,453 times
I've inspected lots of homes in the Townsend area. It's a nice area. As far as "access to shopping and restaurants, decent medical care", you will have to drive to Maryville or Knoxville. Not all that far.

Come and visit and see for yourself if its a good fit for your needs.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM

22,973 posts, read 25,256,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I've inspected lots of homes in the Townsend area. It's a nice area. As far as "access to shopping and restaurants, decent medical care", you will have to drive to Maryville or Knoxville. Not all that far.

Come and visit and see for yourself if its a good fit for your needs.
See y'all in 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM

2,049 posts, read 6,345,309 times
I think Maryville and Pigeon Forge / Wears Valley will be your lifelines. I think you'll love Townsend, I don't know what the housing developments are like but you may not know your neighbors at all. They may keep to themselves so much that you never see them, like some of ours. Make sure you can get cell reception and internet / cable where you want to be. Make sure you know the hours of EVERYTHING so you're not inconvenienced later!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 20,302 times
Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,763 times
Default Townsend

I live in Townsend. It will be a major adjustment if youve lived anywhere with shopping conveniences, drs, etc. We do not have a walmart, pharmacy, drs office, etc. We have a small grocery store. I usually go into Maryville, about 30min away, once a week or every other week for groceries. Drs appt; I go to Knoxville about an hr away~I go to Knoxville only 3-4x/year. If the weather is bad, just stay put. In winter after about 8pm most everything is closed. Life is grand here if you are SURE you only want peace and quiet and not much else.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,197,603 times
Congrats on you plans to relocagte and form what you described, you will love the many choices you have in Townsend. You have seen the 30 minute drive back to Maryville and its an easy drive and the Townsend, has a few campgrounds that are a little seasonal and traffic is never too much of a problem. Cades Cove of the Smoky Mountains is just a few miles past, and lots of tourists travel thru, but not a problem. There are about a dozen or so Motels that lots of groups come to, but again not a problem. You can find about any type of housing you choose and many with some acreage. Good luck on your visit.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,986 times
Thumbs up Townsend is a great place to live and work.

You'll be wishing you had moved here years before you actually arrived. The community is wonderful and the need to go outside of town for supplies is diminishing. The church community is also wonderful and a good place to get to know your neighbors. There is opportunity to get involved or to stay to yourself, your choice. Lived here now for 46 years, family is from Townsend. Work may be seasonal, but opportunities are all around for supplemental income if you want to keep busy.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM

2,750 posts, read 5,651,176 times
I visited Cades Cove this past April. I stayed in touristy Pigeon Forge. On my way to Cades Cove, I very briefly drove to the edge of Townsend, but did not go into town..... I am considering another visit to the area in April, 2013 and would like to stay in Townsend. I am also at the stage in life that I am searching for a place to retire. I love the Smokies and Cades Cove is my vision of Heaven on earth. I would be interested in more discussion about Townsend and would love to see some photos of the area if anyone could please post some photos. I know there was a terrible storm in the area last week and you all are in my prayers.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 AM

6,105 posts, read 10,354,829 times
The thing about Townsend is there is no downtown. No real cultural center. It is a beautiful area and it is a blessing to be agle to access the smokies without traffic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>