Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,422 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to knoxville and have no time to visit to look for apartments. When looking online, I found some great apartments near the old city in knoxville which is the area where I'm looking to live. However, when I look at the google street views on google maps the areas look derelict and not kept up. Does anyone know what these area look like and even maybe have pictures of them?
Also, could you tell me if they are more college-y areas or more for young professionals?

1. North Central Village at 912 Central St
2. Brownlow School Lofts at 135 W Glenwood Ave

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Those areas have gentrified or are gentrifying. The second one is Old North Knoxville/Fourth and Gill area. The Central area is Happy Valley. That's still gentrifying but is well on it's way. It's going to depend on your comfort level. Are you use to urban areas? Only lived in subdivisions?

I would be happy to go take pictures for you.

Last edited by JMT; 01-10-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm used to urban areas. I live in Raleigh, NC right now and love the downtown vibe there, and looking to be near a similar thing in Knoxville.

North Central Village is more affordable for me, so I am more encouraged in that sense. I am trying to be able to bike or walk to bars, coffee shops, restaurants. Would this apartment be suitable for that? Is it "sketchy" or not common to do that in that area?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM

There are a lot of homeless folks not too far away. The problem is there are a lot of shelters, soup kitchens and homeless services in that area. However, our homeless are pretty tame folks compared to other places I've been. You'll have to bike right through them but they really don't bother people. I drive through - I'm an older female - with my 11-year-old daughter all the time. I don't even bother to lock my car doors. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what it is like. Sketchy but not horrible. If you live on Glenwood, which is farther along in the gentrification process, you may bike through the same area, too.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
North Central village has a gated parking area. There's not the variety of entertainment you'll find in the old city but there are some venues. Look up time warp tea room, xyz club (gay bar), Relix variety theater. There is tai chi and yoga nearby if that interests you.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Thank you! I think I get the gist of both the areas. If anyone has pictures that they don't mind posting of those areas, please post. If you happen to drive by there and can snap a few photos I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM

110 posts, read 213,415 times
Having lived in both Raleigh & Knoxville, I, personally, don't think the area you're looking at in Knoxville is remotely close to the same cool urban vibe you're used to in downtown Raleigh. With Raleigh being the state capitol, the downtown area is pretty well maintained and "blighted" areas are further out of downtown. While Knoxville is doing a great job with downtown revitalization, we're not there yet. Just my oh so humble opinion. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM

EastTNSuthernBelle,

Do you think I would prefer the West Knoxville Turkey Creek Area to the Downtown area?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM

That area does not have a cool vibe. I didn't know that was what you were seeking. Downtown does, but I don't consider that area to be "downtown." The immediate downtown area is gorgeous and definitely "cool," including the Old City, Market Square, Gay Street, Union Avenue, etc. but the prices are going to be very high.

A lot of people haven't seen how much the downtown area has changed, it's only been the past couple of years and it truly changes on a month-to-month basis. It's changed a lot even from a year ago.

But where you are looking is not "downtown cool."

West Knoxville and Turkey Creek is more suburban sprawl. There are still some VERY nice areas. In fact there are areas that can even be considered more rural looking. But it wouldn't resemble anyone's downtown, really.

And by the way, that area is not part of the Old City. A lot of people think the Old City is not safe. It's changed a lot and recently. I'd live there in a heartbeat. One of my daughter's friends lives there, in fact. It's no longer "run down." But it is EXPENSIVE.

Brownlow Lofts is in Fourth and Gill, by the way. It is definitely gentrifying and has a lot of young professionals. I took my daughter trick-or-treating there. We now attend church there. And I'd LOVE to live there.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

110 posts, read 213,415 times
Well, disclaimer first...I haven't been in Raleigh in years. I went to college in Raleigh and have only visited a few times since. If I recall, West Knox/Turkey Creek remind me of North Hills or maybe even Cary...very "Starbucks on every corner, lots of SUV driving soccer moms." Don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with that...I live West Just trying to relay what areas I think are comparable to give you a better idea. There are older sections of west knoxville that are closer to downtown that may fit what you're looking for. I would search Bearden, Forest Park, and Ft. Sanders (which is co-located on UT's campus.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville