Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,096 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Knoxville in mid October. We are really interested in exploring options for downtown living. There seems to be a lot of good vibes about downtown living etc, etc. I will be working in the city, my wife telecommutes, no kids, no pets, so downtown living suits us best........but we would love to hear from any posters that have actually lived in downtown Knoxville. What are the pro's, con's, areas to avoid, good lofts to target, what is parking like, crime, grocery shopping etc? We would probably look to rent first, to get a good feel of the place, but there does not seem to be a lot of rental stock around. Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
Check out Metro Pulse for rentals and downtown news.
Metro Pulse Online
I've visited friends who live in the lofts and wish I could afford it. The ones I've been in are gorgeous.
They don't seem worried about crime but they say they have problems with crowds after Sundown in the City and some of the big events on Market Square.
There's been talk about getting a grocery in downtown but for now you'd need to go across the river or into Bearden. Not that far.
The lofts usually have dedicated parking.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Check out Metro Pulse for rentals and downtown news.
Metro Pulse Online
I've visited friends who live in the lofts and wish I could afford it. The ones I've been in are gorgeous.
They don't seem worried about crime but they say they have problems with crowds after Sundown in the City and some of the big events on Market Square.
There's been talk about getting a grocery in downtown but for now you'd need to go across the river or into Bearden. Not that far.
The lofts usually have dedicated parking.
You don't even have to go that far for grocery shopping. Food City has opened a gigantic new supermarket on Western Ave in Mechanicsville just a few hundred feet from downtown.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:54 PM

39 posts, read 111,800 times
www.sterchilofts.com
www.emporiumlofts.com
www.firestreetlofts.com
www.candyfactorylofts.info

Where are you moving from? Knoxville's downtown, depending on where it is you are moving from, leaves a lot to be desired, but great strides have been made and there has been some improvement. Downtown is growing, there are things to do but overall in comparison with many cities it is somewhat desolate...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,096 times
Thanks for the insights.

We are moving from the burbs of a major North East city.

We have lived downtown in some really big cities not only here in the US but also overseas. We certainly don't expect downtown Knoxville to compare with NYC, San Francisco or Tokyo for example. But the thought of being able to walk to work is still really appealing!

I realize that there are trade-off's. Just how bad is traffic coming in from say Farragut or Maryville for example?

Anyway, we are just exploring options at this stage so any and all comments, opinions are greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville