Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 31,705 times

Advertisements

I am hearing a lot about the other parts of the state, but I was just curious if anyone was thinking of relocating to the Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Great Smoky Mountain Region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Default Sevierville area/Sevier County

For me... and please understand each of us have different criteria for what we are looking for, Sevierville is way too touristy. Kinda like Disney with cars. The traffic can be insane, and way to crowded... during the "season".

I was immediately turned off by the commercialization... not bad if your young and needing work. Wears Valley is/was beautiful... but the overbuilding, packing homes on top of each other... just makes me nuts. Some of the houses in the area are absolutley beautiful... but I'm turned off by the over abundance of tourist attractions, and noise.

Sevier Conty has very "lax" development rules, and reflects in the indiscriminate building. It is what it is. Not bad, not good... just is.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM

258 posts, read 790,471 times
I lived there for 6 months a couple years ago and I loved it. Yeah, it is all those things that Dan mentioned above, but at the same time you had a million places to shop and a thousand different things to do and if you live off the beaten path, as I did, you can escape that and not even know it's right around the corner.

Being from S. Ca I have to say that even with it's faults it's WAY better than anything this place has to offer.

Here it's brown, there it's green.

Here there is trash ALL OVER, in the fields, in the road, against buildings, there it's clean.

Here there is graffiti on store walls, there you don't see that.

Here there are crackheads and meth addicts and cheap prostitutes walking the streets, there, nope.

Here, most people are rude and nasty, there people are happy because they are vacationing, and locals are polite and helpful.

Here rents FAR exceed anything you get for the money, there things are reasonable.

Here there is nothing to do, a theater, a roller rink, a bunch of strip malls, there you have so many things to do you would never get bored.

I could go on and on. You gotta look at the good, weigh what you have now with what you will gain in whatever place you choose to live. I'd give anything to move back there.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 14,312 times
My husband and I are actually moving there this August. We're from Black Mountain/Asheville, NC and have the same touristy problems. I swear though, Black Mountain can be worse then Pigeon Forge with all the Youth Conferences in the summer! We've both grown up vacationing in Pigeon Forge because it's so close to home and a short drive, we absolutely love Sevierville and the surrounding area!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times
Sevierville has nice, quiet areas to live in that most of us don't even know about when driving on the main roads. I would CONSIDER living in Sevierville but NEVER in Pigeon Forge. Sevierville has a life of its own separate from the tourism - I can't say the same for P.F. or Gatlinburg. You just need to become verrrrrrry friendly with the back roads. As far as employment goes, you'd be better off looking for work in Dandridge rather than Knoxville, because of the commute.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 24,753 times
We live in Fla now, have visited Seiverville and love the area. We are looking to possibly retire to the area, but I am interested in Seymour, since it is a bit away from the tourist "thing". Any feedback for a couple of retirees....housing costs, specifically. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times
There have been threads about Seymour, you can do a search ... one woman who may be able to help is gailli ... you can search for her and then DM her.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Yes, we see on this forum a lot of happy transplants that moved to Seymour. Just like you said, it is close to the shows and action, but also near Knoxville but it is quiet but still close to necessary shopping. From what I understand, if you live on the Sevier County side you benefit from being able to get into some shows and attractions.

Like NJ said, we have a member named Gailli that moved there from Florida and she absolutely loves it. She is hardly ever on the forum because she is too busy enjoying the area.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasal01 View Post
We live in Fla now, have visited Seiverville and love the area. We are looking to possibly retire to the area, but I am interested in Seymour, since it is a bit away from the tourist "thing". Any feedback for a couple of retirees....housing costs, specifically. Thanks.
We just moved to Seymour from California.

Don't come, please don't come.

OK, I am just kidding.

I just don't want everyone moving here and spoiling it.

It is very nice here and pricing is low compared to where you are. Everything is close that you will need on a daily basis and virtually all of it is off of one Hwy, Chapman Hwy (441/411). Lots of medical facilities and rumor is that more are coming. It is 20 minutes to Knoxville, Sevierville and Maryville and LOW property taxes compared to any other county in the Knoxville area.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 34,208 times
best part of sevier county is between sevierville and newport - the area that is easily reached off the dandridge interstate exit rather than exit 407. that one is a disaster if you have to go thru sevierville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville