Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the Carver's info and link. Suffering I agree with your post on Litton's. Not my kind of place.

Last night I ate at Gavino's (Bearden), they opened last week, it's the best NY pizza EVER!!! Of course they throw on a lot of toppings, all pizza places do when they first open. The garlic knots were great, everyone was happy with their food (table of 15), the lasagna looked great but not a whole lot of meat. They sell pizza by the slice and some seafood dishes (Shrimp Dock is across the street).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM

394 posts, read 794,096 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels nothing special about Littons except maybe the deserts.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
This place looks great! Former ski shop transformed into gourmet tavern and restaurant » Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Leave it to you to bring us another find. It looks interesting. I'd go for the fish and chips since they say it is Atlantic cod. I assume they allow children in during the day.

Here's the website!

Bucket Head Tavern ‹ Just Off The Beaten Path, Just Outside The Lines

Thanks, Airen! You always stay on top of the restaurant scene!

Last edited by JMT; 08-29-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Yeah, it'll create another rant from you-know-who.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
What's y'all's opinion about Sweet P's BBQ? Good, bad or ugly? Just curious. I recall seeing Adam Richman go there on Man Vs. Food and was always curious if it was worth the drive.

Speaking of eating out, we went out for another drive this past Sunday. This time we went to Maryville and back to Knoxville before heading to Sevier County. Nice drive. We were hungry for 'home cooked' food though and we considered Cheddars but it was packed and a line waiting, so we headed back to Sevier County. We had to run a few errands and wanted to eat, run the errands and head home.

A guy my husband works with told us to try Apple Barn if we liked Carver's. In all the time we've lived in Sevier County we've never visited, so we figured what the heck...let's check it out. It's been open 25 years now so we thought it would be good.

It wasn't overly crowded, which I found odd on a Sunday, but then again alot of people are going home from spending a long weekend or a vacation in the area. We were seated in a booth in a dining area with a large fireplace and a glass enclosed bird area.

I know this is a tourist attraction and all but considering it's been around awhile and always looks crowded when we drive by, I was shocked to see an inch thick of dust around the decorative wood frames that went around each booth. That kind of turned me off but I know I'm kind of a neat freak, so I let it go.

I ordered the country fried steak, with mashed potatoes and dumplings (I know, starch much! ) but I had to try them. I also had a cup of chicken noodle soup. The lunch came with all this food!
My husband had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans and he had the potato soup.

First, the soup was out of a can. My husbands soup tasted like it was that frozen potato soup you buy at Sam's Club. The country fried steak was over cooked, burned on the edge and the gravy was also prepackaged. My great grandmother, who was a true southern lady, taught me how to make gravy, so trust me I know it was prepackaged...which was a bummer but I guess because it's a high volume area that's why. The potatoes were starchy and just didn't seem fresh. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Honestly, I will not go back. In my opinion, this is a tourist area, plain and simple. And that's ok, if that's what people want to eat on vacation then more power to 'em. Honestly I find the food at the Dixie Stampede to be awful but the show is really cool.

So, back to the Apple Barn....it is not anything like Carver's, that's the apple farm outside of Cosby. Carver's is true home cooked food. Apple Barn is "we bought this at Sam's or GFS and heated it up" type of food. Again, just my personal opinion.

The cost for the lunch was about a dollar more than the two lunches we had at Carvers, so not bad on price. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

If a tourist asked me if I could recommend the Apple Barn I would be hard pressed to say yes. I would probably say "it's ok".

Our server was attentive but the place needs a makeover, big time. Just a big dusty building.

I don't recommend it but then again, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by MrsMopar; 08-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Mrs. Mopar, I was just about to try Apple Barn so thank you, thank you, thank you for taking one for the team. I owe you.

There are a lot of people that take almost every vacation to the area and swear by that place but I noticed that a lot of them don't have the sames tastes as me. So this is no surprise.

I have yet to try Sweet P's but I really, really want to!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM

394 posts, read 794,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have yet to try Sweet P's but I really, really want to!
I have to try them also. Always looking for a good Q joint.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
My husband likes Sweet P's. He used to work out in Alcoa, and he and his co workers often went. Huge portions, apparently.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM

358 posts, read 999,184 times
I completely agree with Suffering, Dave and others about Litton's. More a "habit" than a good place to eat! We tried twice and were completely underwhelmed both times! At first we were reluctant to state our opinion because we got "the look" from locals but eventually others started confessing they felt the same way but had "always gone" to Litton's. Like I said, habit.

In the Fountain City area, the Range House is actually not bad for chain restaurant "home cooking" but it's a buffet. We recently discovered Downtown Grill and Brewery...love the atmosphere and the food so far has been quite good.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM

213 posts, read 550,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
I completely agree with Suffering, Dave and others about Litton's. More a "habit" than a good place to eat! We tried twice and were completely underwhelmed both times! At first we were reluctant to state our opinion because we got "the look" from locals but eventually others started confessing they felt the same way but had "always gone" to Litton's. Like I said, habit.

In the Fountain City area, the Range House is actually not bad for chain restaurant "home cooking" but it's a buffet. We recently discovered Downtown Grill and Brewery...love the atmosphere and the food so far has been quite good.
The Range House is an independent local restaurant. They are also a member of Knox Originals, a group of local restaurants that have joined together to offer frequent buyer points. Knox Originals - Home Page

Downtown Grill and Brewery is also one of my favorite downtown spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville