Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,386 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Fargo ND and recently went right over the border to Mn. My husband and I have 2 boys age 2&4 and we are only in our twenties. I would like to move to Knoxville. I have Never been there before and has traveled through TN when I was in my teens but I remember enjoying it. What areas in Knoxville would be good to move? We are young still so we would have to rent. My husband works millwright work/ construction is there a lot of Job opportunities?
I have my CNA but would like to go to a tech college.

All I have is the Internet for research, if anyone could give me some tips and Areas that would be fun for a family that would be great!
How did the recession affect the area? Stable job? Cost of living? Anything like that would be great!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Construction work in the Knoxville area is still pretty dead. While there is some construction going on, I have to imagine that there is a glut of workers that were let go when the housing market started its decline. Probably not the best line of work to be looking for a job.

While the cost of living is fairly low in Knoxville, I can't imagine it being a lot lower than Fargo.
While the recession has not hit Knoxville as hard as some other cities, it still hit.
Picking up and moving to a city without a job is probably the worst idea I can imagine, especially with two little ones. Picking a city based on having a good time traveling thru the State several years ago also defies logic.

I'm sorry this sounds harsh, but it sounds more like "sitting at the computer too long day dreaming" instead of a well thought out plan, that included a job offer.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Before they do anything other than dream they should plan a vacation in july or august. It will be best if it is not one of those weeks when a rare cold front passes through. If they pass the muggy test then it will be time to plan in earnest.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Moving without a job is not a good idea in this economy with little ones. I agree that a trip here is in order to see the area with adult eyes and not nostalgia tinged memories. No matter who encourages dreaming. This idea or plan is still in its very early stages. It hasn't reached the realistic stage yet.
Pam

Last edited by JMT; 02-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: I had to delete part of your post only because it referred to someone else's post which has been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville