Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,536 times

Advertisements

Sorry for your trouble with employees I have the same problem, I run a small construction business and I Finally gave up trying to find good people who won't steal from you or give an honest days work for an honest days pay. If you really would like to place blame maybe it's their mom and dad who didn't raise them right. I feel really lucky my daughter who recently moved to Sevierville and is 33 years old has a retail job along with her husband and both are trusted by their bosses, because of their upbringing they can be trusted because they know mom and dad would strangle them for stealing from anyone. I also have twin sons 18 years old and both are joining the military this year the other day I went with one of them to the Coast Guard Recruiter and he wanted to know why at 18 he does not have a drivers lisence I told him we keep a tight rein on both of them that way they don't get in trouble, they know what's expected of them and they do it because mom and dad will not let them get away with anything less if they get in trouble with the law they are on their own if I catch them i will turn them in. I really don't believe that the justice system is broken it's just that too many people are trying to let the system raise their kids if mom and dad took a little more care raising the kids we would not have this problem. I know what my kids are doing and won't tolerate them doing the wrong thing and after they are on their own I know this will carry on into their adult lives.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,809 times
Default Hang in there

I moved to the West Knox area about 3 years ago, my sister has lived here about 14 years.
We had friends who ran a fudge shop in downtown Gatlinburg, who sold their business and have retired..and yes, they had the same trouble with hiring dependable staff.
My parents owned a business for over 25 yrs, and I was raised in that environment, so I know how tough it is to have your own business, and have trust issues with folks you "thought" were honest, decent people.

Gatlinburg IS a major tourist trap, and has it's own inherent problems but based on the feedback from folks here, they have given you some solid advice, and you already know you just can't be a "friend", you have an obligation to yourself and your family first. You are a business owner!

Not everyone is out to lie, cheat and steal, and for the most part, the people I've met have been pretty friendly and outgoing, helpful in most cases.
I'm really sorry that you've experienced the negative side of people, but use the experience as a teaching tool - you know to do background checks, have a probation period, etc. You still might have the occasional problem, but you will be better prepared, I hope.

Right before our friends sold their fudge shop, they hired non-natives who they trained. Those folks were grateful to have a job that paid them well, they worked hard, were diligent and didn't steal from them.

It's sad that they couldn't find dependable people locally or even in the US (they tried it for years) and had to go overseas to hire. But it worked for them.

I wish you the best...

Debs

Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but it seems like this is stuff that goes on in most any place these days. I do not live in the Gatlinburg area (I live in Bristol, about 110 miles northeast of there), but I have visited several times. Its my understanding that in Gatlinburg, that many of the people that live there are not even natives of the area. Remember, this this a high tourist area and many people migrate into the area because the "like" it so to speak. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not think this should reflect on the natives that live there. There are some good, honest people there.

Also, like you already know - Sevier Co. is probably one of the highest "visited by tourists" counties in the entire state.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
Thievery. Plain out thieves! We run a store in Gatlinburg and were robbed by an insider. Every store owner I've spoken to in G-burg says that is the norm and you can't find an honest person to work. WHAT!!?? This so makes me second guess our moving here. This area is so not what I thought it was and it seems to be kicking me in the ass more and more. I'm told that the people that work in the area know they can get another job wherever b/c there are so many jobs available and they just don't give a ****. Apparently TN doesn't put thieves in jail. The one that has robbed us has a record w/ about 6 convictions of burglary and theft and got probation each time! Not to mention some were for over $5000!!! Why didn't we run a background check???? This person was recommended by an employee that worked for us for over a year w/out incident. It was a relative of hers!! JESUS!! I have such a bitter taste in my mouth about this area that I just want to puke all over the place to make it a better place to be. So, that being said...is it truly only THIS area??? Is it the mountain people and their damn drugs and poverty??? Or can TN be called the ****tiest place to live no matter where you are?? I am sorry but I am so dissillusioned right now I can't think straight. I feel like I've fed my family to the lions w/ the decision to move here. I don't know if I can ever overcome this feeling of disgust about the people here. Are there any good people in Sevier county????
referrals dont work. background check and trw do.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
East Tn. A Great Place To Live, My Son Worked At Dollywood For 5 Years. He Met Some Good And Bad People. I Think That Happens Every Place You Live. I Think In A Tourist Town That Happens A Lot.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM

86 posts, read 414,437 times
I'm dealing with it. Period. I still have sad feelings about this place, but have just accepted that E. TN is not what I believed it to be when we moved here. I'll just "man-up" and realize that not all are trustworthy and work on keeping my family safe and happy. That's really all that matters to me. I'll have to weed through the garbage and tread carefully, but we will be ok.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Chin up! There's disenchantment anywhere; it's what you do with it that counts. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Thumbs up It isn't easy to see always, but there is good amidst the bad. Stick to the good parts!

Quote:
I'm dealing with it. Period. I still have sad feelings about this place, but have just accepted that E. TN is not what I believed it to be when we moved here. I'll just "man-up" and realize that not all are trustworthy and work on keeping my family safe and happy. That's really all that matters to me. I'll have to weed through the garbage and tread carefully, but we will be ok.
After many years of living in quite a few different states, large cities, small towns, and everything in between, I have found that no place if perfect or just what we "believe it to be." Each place has its own quirks, charm, attractions, and special spots. But, they all have a dark edge to them as well.

All we can do is be thankful that we wake up each morning, have a loving family to cling to, and strive to make everyday important no matter where we are.

I hope, amyevansmom, that you truly can put this sad experience behind you and find that goodness about the Sevierville that drew you there in the first place. It is still there; you have just seen the other side of it as well as that good side. Keep the good things ahead of you like a carrot on a stick and the ugly parts will not rule your memories any longer.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Thievery. Plain out thieves! We run a store in Gatlinburg and were robbed by an insider. Every store owner I've spoken to in G-burg says that is the norm and you can't find an honest person to work. WHAT!!?? This so makes me second guess our moving here. This area is so not what I thought it was and it seems to be kicking me in the ass more and more. I'm told that the people that work in the area know they can get another job wherever b/c there are so many jobs available and they just don't give a ****. Apparently TN doesn't put thieves in jail. The one that has robbed us has a record w/ about 6 convictions of burglary and theft and got probation each time! Not to mention some were for over $5000!!! Why didn't we run a background check???? This person was recommended by an employee that worked for us for over a year w/out incident. It was a relative of hers!! JESUS!! I have such a bitter taste in my mouth about this area that I just want to puke all over the place to make it a better place to be. So, that being said...is it truly only THIS area??? Is it the mountain people and their damn drugs and poverty??? Or can TN be called the ****tiest place to live no matter where you are?? I am sorry but I am so dissillusioned right now I can't think straight. I feel like I've fed my family to the lions w/ the decision to move here. I don't know if I can ever overcome this feeling of disgust about the people here. Are there any good people in Sevier county????

what kind of store is it? what made you pick Gatlinburg anyway? foot traffic?
that info might help..

Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
After many years of living in quite a few different states, large cities, small towns, and everything in between, I have found that no place if perfect or just what we "believe it to be." Each place has its own quirks, charm, attractions, and special spots. But, they all have a dark edge to them as well.

All we can do is be thankful that we wake up each morning, have a loving family to cling to, and strive to make everyday important no matter where we are.

I hope, amyevansmom, that you truly can put this sad experience behind you and find that goodness about the Sevierville that drew you there in the first place. It is still there; you have just seen the other side of it as well as that good side. Keep the good things ahead of you like a carrot on a stick and the ugly parts will not rule your memories any longer.
not necessarily - a friend of mine moved to Murfreesboro from Gatlinburg to be closer to her kids..she said that she left due t all the gang activity and LOVES it in Murfressboro -a very family oriented small college town (think Mayberry)..I noticed that the children are very polite and disciplined here..they say ma-am all the time, and at Walmart if the move in front of you they say sorry! Quality of life is everything..I would never live in a tourist area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville