Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM

86 posts, read 414,437 times

Advertisements

We are stuck b/c we have to realize a jump in the housing prices to get out clean. I am not taking a loss. Period. I took a loss to move here and I'm not doing it again. Maybe if I'm lucky the prices will increase before then and I can go sooner. That is really all that is holding me back.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 PM

You're right, Carmelle. I did start that thread. And then, I overcame those things and started to blend. And decided I did like it here. BUT, when crappy things happen to good people, it makes you second guess your choice again! I want to like it here. I really do. It just seems the odds are against me. My family moved down here and they are in Knox, not having any issues. They love it. So, perhaps it is just Sevier County.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 PM

40 posts, read 166,488 times
Here I am counting the months until my vacation which will be in Gatlinburg and you get to live there full time. I wish I could trade you places......I'm only 2 hours from Detroit

Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,219 times
I'm truly sorry that you are stuck. I'm afraid that prices will not be increasing based on what's going on in the credit/housing industry nationwide and now starting in East TN.

Maybe do a fsbo and get out with a smaller loss?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Well Detroit and G-burg aren't much different in my opinion. I wouldn't walk the dark streets alone in either place. Enjoy your vacation here, Carmele, it's what you make of it. Just don't trust the locals. Moderator cut: insults are not nessesary Before you come, why don't you check the police logs to see how many DUI's happen every night and how many burglaries and sex crimes are happening. They don't put that in the tourist brochures.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-08-2007 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks, PDQ. My husband and I agree that we are going to give it at least 3 years. I am going to try and make the best of it. I just needed to spout off as it all came to a giant head this week. I couldn't keep it in any longer. I am so disappointed. I really wanted to spend the rest of my life here. It truly is a spectacular place being polluted by idiots.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I'm so sorry this happened to you! You do have a right to be angry, and what happened is rotten, but there is crime, dishonesty and crappy people everywhere. It's just the world we live in. Spend a week in NY, LA, Baltimore or even beautiful, genteel Richmond, VA (the murder capital of the U.S.) and East TN won't look nearly so bad.

If you honestly hate where you live, you should move. Life's too short to be miserable and once you make up your mind that you hate something, it tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Negative emotions poison you, body and soul, and the person hurt most by them is ultimately yourself.

Safe havens are becoming harder and harder to come by, but I hope you can find one that makes you happier and brings you peace of mind. But you're not going to find Utopia there, anymore than you did here. It just doesn't exist. Good luck to you (and do report those thieves to the police, so they get what's coming to them)!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Thx Hollywood. Oh, believe me, the police are working the crime and it will be prosecuted. Believe me! What is difficult, is I thought this was the perfect place for us. I bugged my husband for years to move here. When the opportunity finally came, we were here in an instant. And now, the letdown. I'm afraid to make a big leap again for fear of the wrong decision! I don't think I ask for much...safety and honesty and nice people and education. I thought that was here. The honesty is totally gone. Safety is kinda worrying now. Nice people...well, I feel they're nice, but are they trustworthy?? Education? It seems to be great for my child here. He has learned so much! We all know the scenery is awesome. I just have to accept that nothing will be perfect and let's just make the best of it and live our lives. I can't change people here, never wanted to, but they sure are changing me!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I know; you're right. It's a global issue. It's hard to find trustworthy people anymore-- anywhere.

When you're less raw, maybe you can step back and realize that, as bad as it seems here, it's so much worse in many other places. The people in East TN are, for the most part, friendly and caring. I moved back to the South, because LA and NY were so bad. Then I was robbed in upscale, charming Charleston, SC. There are always bad apples.

Just don't let one experience sour you on the entire area. But maybe you would be happy somewhere less touristy. I'm not all that fond of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge myself. Too many tourists and transients!

You'll feel better in a few days, so hang in there!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
That is awful that this crime happened to you. I feel for you
However I do have to say, if you move and or become bitter towards everyone in the area because of that criminal and allow him/her to change your entire perception of your life here, they took more than money from you and won. Don't let them win, over come it.
I do hope the police get them and they stay in jail this time.
Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville