Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM

51 posts, read 101,543 times

Advertisements

For raising a family I'd suggest Maryville. it's 15-30mins from Knoxville depending on how far out you want to live and Maryville City and Alcoa City schools are excellent. By that I mean they are some of the best schools in the state. Blount County schools are fine also, outside of Heritage and Greenback that is. In Knox I'd recommend Bearden, Farragut, Hardin Valley, or West if your going public schools. Karns is ok and I'd put Central at the bottom of the heap of considerations. Halls, Austin East, Gibbs, and Fulton are schools I'd stay away from if your looking for a school to prepare your kids for the University path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 30,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyMule View Post
For raising a family I'd suggest Maryville. it's 15-30mins from Knoxville depending on how far out you want to live and Maryville City and Alcoa City schools are excellent. By that I mean they are some of the best schools in the state. Blount County schools are fine also, outside of Heritage and Greenback that is. In Knox I'd recommend Bearden, Farragut, Hardin Valley, or West if your going public schools. Karns is ok and I'd put Central at the bottom of the heap of considerations. Halls, Austin East, Gibbs, and Fulton are schools I'd stay away from if your looking for a school to prepare your kids for the University path.
What is your reasoning with Halls schools? Do you have experience or know someone or is it just what you have heard? I'm not trying to start anything, I am just honestly curious since it on my short list of destinations and you can only tell so much in a walk through. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM

51 posts, read 101,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwoldjr View Post
What is your reasoning with Halls schools? Do you have experience or know someone or is it just what you have heard? I'm not trying to start anything, I am just honestly curious since it on my short list of destinations and you can only tell so much in a walk through. Thanks.
As hiknapster and many Knoxville residents can attest to, Halls is just an odd community as a whole. The general attitude of people that live in Halls is a bit different than other areas of Knoxville. It's a small community that has certain values and attitudes and if you don't fit that mold exactly your likely not going to like it. The community is a bit more conservative and the people are bit more country than other areas of Knoxville. I don't like Halls, but my intention here is not to put it or the people from the area down. I am just trying to be honest and forward because I know it's difficult to understand that as an outsider who has never lived in the area.

Regarding the education of Halls schools I'd say it's ok. I've met people from Halls at UTK and in professional environments so I can't say your children are doomed for a bad education if they attend there because I know people that have succeeded. I don't have official statistics or anything but I'd be willing to bet that they have a very strong vocational program there.

Do you get what I mean?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 AM

15 posts, read 30,006 times
Thanks for the feedback Bushymule. I'll take your advice into consideration.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyMule View Post
As hiknapster and many Knoxville residents can attest to, Halls is just an odd community as a whole. The general attitude of people that live in Halls is a bit different than other areas of Knoxville. It's a small community that has certain values and attitudes and if you don't fit that mold exactly your likely not going to like it. The community is a bit more conservative and the people are bit more country than other areas of Knoxville. I don't like Halls, but my intention here is not to put it or the people from the area down. I am just trying to be honest and forward because I know it's difficult to understand that as an outsider who has never lived in the area.

Regarding the education of Halls schools I'd say it's ok. I've met people from Halls at UTK and in professional environments so I can't say your children are doomed for a bad education if they attend there because I know people that have succeeded. I don't have official statistics or anything but I'd be willing to bet that they have a very strong vocational program there.

Do you get what I mean?
I have many, many friends in Halls, not a one of them is from Tennessee. They come from Minnesota, Alberta, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Texas, Memphis, Mexico, Germany, and California. Every single one of them loves it and has had zero problems blending in with the rest of the community. They love Halls schools and the Halls community.

My students at U.T. who went to Halls HS are among the best, certainly comparable to those who attended the vaunted high schools in West Knox County and Oak Ridge. There is zero truth that Halls schools are inferior to anywhere else in Knox County, or that the Halls community is some backwards, insular community of country bumpkins.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-10-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 743 times
Nothing wrong with Gibbs as well. Lots of successful people coming out of all the schools. Sure, some have a stronger vocational program than others, but that does not mean they cater to those kids specifically. Also, Austin-East, although in a bad (arguably the worst) part of town, is the magnet school around the area and CAN be beneficial if your child is interested in certain programs. Corryton and Halls are GREAT places to live, if you are looking for a quiet community feel where everybody knows everybody. Home prices are also some of the lowest in the area and some nice neighborhoods in the area as well as homes with some land if that is what you are looking for. Corryton has House Mountain State Park and also Clinch Mountain, which are both great to hike. Corryton and Halls are also both fairly convenient to Norris Lake, which is BY FAR the cleanest lake in the area. Great fishing, boating, etc at Norris. Corryton is quite rural. A gas station and Walgreens is about all you will find there. Short 5-15 minute drive to east town mall or Halls depending on your location. Halls is more commercialized, a few decent restaurants etc. Both Halls and Gibbs/Corryton are about the same distance from downtown ~20 minutes. Halls is about a 5 minute drive to Fountain City, which is even more commercialized with more restaurants. NE Knox County is a FANTASTIC place to live and raise kids. All areas of Knoxville have friendly people but NE Knox County is certainly more friendly than West Knoxville (Farragut, Bearden, Hardin Valley).

Good luck with the search. Whatever you do, don't get in the TN river or Fort Loudon Lake, both are NASTY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville