Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times

Advertisements

I don't know how relevant I am, but I'll throw a comment in.

I lived next door to Oak Ridge in Clinton, but hardly a day went by that I wasn't in OR for something. Doing errands around town, I had nothing but good experiences with people I dealt with, whether they were fellow errand runners or service people.

I think the place where I got the most exposure to citizens of OR was walking at Melton Lake. One of my favorite things to do was grab one of the dogs and go for a walk down there after dinner. There was usually a pretty good cross section of Oak Ridgers - moms with toddlers and strollers, senior citizens, people around my age (50s - notice how I don't group that age with senior citizens ). I can only think of a couple of times the people I talked to were from somewhere other than Oak Ridge.

When I was done with my walk, dog and I would sit on a bench overlooking the lake. Most nights, someone would stop and visit for a while. I thought the people living around there were pretty friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM

58 posts, read 149,575 times
Does Anyone Know Of Labs That Test For Radioactive Material In Well Water??

Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
If you don't mind my asking, Godsdove, why do you "love it" in OR? I really am trying to change my attitude about it since it seems we'll be here longer than I had hoped.

JMT, if I remember, you grew up in OR. What DON'T you like about it?

Any other comments welcomed.
Actually I didn't grow up in Oak Ridge. I grew up in Florida, the Philippines, China, France. But I did live in Oak Ridge a few years ago. I think the city is ok, the people are very nice, and of course I love the setting: mountains, lake, rolling hills. There are some good restaurants in Oak Ridge, and the schools are top notch. There are really only two things I don't like about Oak Ridge:

1) I never felt like it was a real city. I mean, there's no downtown, no historical neighborhoods. It has the same feel as Farragut although Oak Ridge is nicer, in my opinion.

2) All the toxic scare. I know that some people think I'm overreacting, and maybe I am. But I just can't get that out of my mind.

I did get a feeling from some of the people there that they felt sooo superior to everyone else in East Tennessee. That got on my nerves, too, but it didn't bother me as much as the above 2 things.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Yup yup, muuuuuch smarter up there. It's all them pHd's. The nukes makes 'em smarter.

lol j/k we found the place nice too but as mentioned, no real "town" feel.

Great mexican restaurant though! ooops, I digress...

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
1) I never felt like it was a real city. I mean, there's no downtown, no historical neighborhoods. It has the same feel as Farragut although Oak Ridge is nicer, in my opinion.
It's funny that opinions can differ so much, but I felt the opposite was true when we were looking at houses in both Farragut and Oak Ridge. Maybe it has something to do with where I grew up, but I had a strange feeling while driving through Oak Ridge that I just wouldn't enjoy myself there. I can't even put a finger on the reasoning behind this feeling, but it was a big part of my family's decision to buy in Farragut.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
hiknapster, if you are so afraid of Oak Ridge, why do you stay?

I've worked in the DOE Nuclear complex for over 15 years and my dad for 35 years before that. There are more safety precautions than in any other industry; I've NEVER had any qualms about working in nuclear facilities.

I've also worked in the chemical weapons industry. If you want to have something to worry about, look up Pine Bluff, Arkansas. You want to talk about scared on 9-11?? Our employee orientation, they told us -- "Oh, don't worry. Every possible emergency scenario we've already taken precautions against. . .well, except a plane falling out of the sky. We really can't do anything about that." And that was June 2001. 9-11, I got to the gate and the guard told me we didn't have restricted airspace -- I turned around and went home!!

Hey, I respect your opinion, but if living near Oak Ridge is an issue to you, move somewhere else.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
JMT, I thought OR had a small downtown across the street (the Turnpike (?)) from what used to be the old (open-space) mall.

OR didn't exist until 1942 and was incorporated in 1959.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
JMT, I thought OR had a small downtown across the street (the Turnpike (?)) from what used to be the old (open-space) mall.

OR didn't exist until 1942 and was incorporated in 1959.
Yes, I'm familiar with the history of Oak Ridge. I used to live there. I know WHY it doesn't have a downtown. When the mall was built, people referred to it as the "downtown mall," a project I believe was far too ambitious for a no-growth area like Oak Ridge.

I believe the little downtown area you're referring to is Jackson Square, where Big Ed's Pizza and the playhouse are located?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM

133 posts, read 376,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Yup yup, muuuuuch smarter up there. It's all them pHd's. The nukes makes 'em smarter.

lol j/k we found the place nice too but as mentioned, no real "town" feel.

Great mexican restaurant though! ooops, I digress...

There will be no snippits of information!!! Make with the name of the Mexican place...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
lol I can't remember now darnit. We figured it out on another thread about oak ridge...hmmm. I'll do a search later and find it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville