Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM

42 posts, read 71,923 times

Advertisements

Possibly move to the area in May (also considering Nashville) and I am trying to figure out what areas to look in....As with every other place there are always some places to avoid and most often they are either North of the city, south etc..

So in your opinion where should I avoid and where should I look?

A little about us:

Family with one child (starting kindergarten next year) so schools are somewhat important. I am currently enrolled in a Masters in Counseling program so will be looking for an internship next fall and then after that hopefully a counselor job. As soon as I get to the area I plan to hopefully find work to offset his upcoming job change. Not sure what the standard pay around there is so maybe you could help out with an idea on that as well.

Husband is currently a manger for a company that does computerized utility inventory although he will most likely seek work in the area though not sure what or when. Current income would allow us to rent between 700-1000 monthly and would prefer a 3bed 2bath house with some land or at the very least a good size yard. We have one dog who is a cocker spaniel mix and is about 45-50lbs depending on the day...lol

I would prefer to live outside the city in a smaller town but would live in the city if I found the right place. For the hubs the less neighbors he has the happier he is

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Since you like elbow room I'll recommend South or East Knox county.

For the small town feel consider Clinton in Anderson county.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Since you like elbow room I'll recommend South or East Knox county.

For the small town feel consider Clinton in Anderson county.
Thanks!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Okay I can't edit???

But I wanted to add/ask for recommendation close to downtown..my husband just said he is really tired of driving (shock for me to hear) so maybe some neighborhoods that are close to downtown? Safety followed by decent schools is priority.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
In south Knoxville you will find large lots fairly close to downtown. The elementary schools run from excellent to OK. I'm thinking Mooreland heights or Mount Olive districts will have big lots close in - Bonnie Kate & New hopewell are further out - country/suburban. South Knoxville is mostly safe but there are some dicey areas.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You can still find elbow room in West and North Knoxville and those are usually the "go to" areas. I live in North Knoxville (West Fountain City, actually) in the city limits but have a half-acre. There are, however, homes on bigger lots. Also, for your price range Fountain City will fit the bill.

You definitely want to search these threads to see what areas are desirable. I've told you, but you'll want to verify I'm sure.

Oh, and are you looking for an older or newer home? At that price range, you may not find anything in West Knoxville (although you could!) and it is probably going to be older.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times
What about areas off Strawberry Plains? It's a 10-15 minute drive to downtown depending on where your home is. Plenty elbow room too...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM

110 posts, read 213,393 times
Just for whatever it's worth...I live in West Knoxville/West Town Mall/Bearden area...super convenient to everything. My neighborhood is older, built in 60s, lots are .5 acre or a bit bigger. Houses rent for $750-$1200 in my neighborhood from what I've been told. My house is 1800 sf, 4bd, 3 baths. Excellent schools. Rocky Hill Elementary/Bearden Middle/Bearden or West High.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM

60 posts, read 154,537 times
How long of a commute is too far for your husband? When I was out there house hunting recently, I really liked the Seymour area. Numerous people told me it would be a long commute, but I found that it took me about as much time to drive to downtown Knoxville from Seymour as it did from the Rocky Hill area out west (another area I loved).

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
In south Knoxville you will find large lots fairly close to downtown. The elementary schools run from excellent to OK. I'm thinking Mooreland heights or Mount Olive districts will have big lots close in - Bonnie Kate & New hopewell are further out - country/suburban. South Knoxville is mostly safe but there are some dicey areas.
Thanks for that info...any areas South you wouldn't recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville