Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,605 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am getting out of the marine corps in six months and will going to the university of Tennesee in Knoxville in pursuit of an engineering degree. I've spent plenty of time around the Blue Ridge mountains in TN, so I know the surrounding area, but not Knoxville's. I live in a tumbleweed tiny home (Tumbleweed Houses). Which is basically a 120 sq. ft. self-sufficient log cabin. I am looking for a small tract of land (maybe .5-3 acres), preferably in a rural/semi-rural area, within 30 minutes of campus. I have tried realtor.com and have some lots, but it is hard to tell what the area around the lot is like, and how long the commute would be. I don't really want to talk to a realtor just yet because they can be pushy, and I won't be able to buy the property for another four months. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would love the help. Also I am trying to steer clear of organized subdivisions with strict zoning laws since my home is on wheels, and is sometimes not allowed in such places. Thank you! -Joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benidngrooms View Post
Hello, I am getting out of the marine corps in six months and will going to the university of Tennesee in Knoxville in pursuit of an engineering degree. I've spent plenty of time around the Blue Ridge mountains in TN, so I know the surrounding area, but not Knoxville's. I live in a tumbleweed tiny home (Tumbleweed Houses). Which is basically a 120 sq. ft. self-sufficient log cabin. I am looking for a small tract of land (maybe .5-3 acres), preferably in a rural/semi-rural area, within 30 minutes of campus. I have tried realtor.com and have some lots, but it is hard to tell what the area around the lot is like, and how long the commute would be. I don't really want to talk to a realtor just yet because they can be pushy, and I won't be able to buy the property for another four months. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would love the help. Also I am trying to steer clear of organized subdivisions with strict zoning laws since my home is on wheels, and is sometimes not allowed in such places. Thank you! -Joey
What's your price range? Knoxville is a big city, and buying even a half-acre within 30 minutes of downtown won't come too cheaply. Knox County also has some pretty strict zoning ordinances that probably won't allow camper homes, if that's what you have.

I'm just curious though, why U.T.? Don't get me wrong, it's a great school (I teach there), but the state's engineering school is Tennessee Tech in Cookeville which has much cheaper land and no zoning ordinances in the county.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
Dear Joey, may I start by saying how thankful I am for your service to our country in whatever capacity. As for your question, the area around Old Maryville Pike, or a little north of the Karns school district are pretty rural areas with little restrictions. Look around John Sevier Highway, as well. I seriously do not know why anyone would say that what you are looking for would be hard to obtain; there is still alot of rural, unrestricted communities within 30 minutes of the Knoxville area. Hope this information can still help. Oh well, I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:04 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm just curious though, why U.T.? Don't get me wrong, it's a great school (I teach there), but the state's engineering school is Tennessee Tech in Cookeville
Hey JMT
What is the difference between the two schools as far as an engineering degree goes? Is TN Tech really that much better? I tried to steer my son towards Tech but he went with UTK instead. He seems happy with his choice.
HIS reasons were as follows:
Size: Coming from Memphis he was afraid Cookeville would not be large enough to offer the variety of social activities that he is used to.
Money: He figured a larger school would be able to offer more in scholarships, and he also was afraid it would be more difficult for him to find a part time job to fit with his schedule in a smaller town.
Reputation: The worry that outside the mid-south area Tennessee Tech is not well known. I don't know how true that might be, but it concerned him.
Girls: A larger student body means more girls! Okay, this wasn't his top priority, but it did help influence his decision,

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 32,421 times
I'd look around the East outskirts of town. I have family in Corryton, which might be farther out than you're looking for, but it's a really nice rural area. You have to go pretty far West to find much reasonably priced open land.

Also - Excellent choice of school and career. Both of my engineering degrees are from UTK.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 PM

391 posts, read 1,358,880 times
Joey,
After reading your post, I looked around at a few different properties on line, and there are definitelely opportunities out there within driving distance, reasonable budget, and relatively no restrictions. South Knoxville had some listings on 2-4 acre tracts, Halls (little further drive) had several listings, South-Doyle area had 3 or 4, so there are definitely places to locate. As far as realtors go, yes, there are some ever the edge pile drivers out there that come off as being pushy. Unfortunately, it gives the whole profession a black eye. My advice is to seek one that has more a laid back approach and "listens" to your needs, rather than trying to accomadate themselves. Finding a good realtor can be one of the greatest relationships you will establish throughout your lifetime, many people will find a realtor they love, fall in love with the way they work, never use anyone else, and actually end up becoming close friends. So, I would say, use caution, avoid those you feel are pushy, and look for one that is TRULY CONCERNED with YOUR best interest as a client. Good luck with everything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville