Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,099,034 times

Advertisements

Maybe, we could get a co-op sort of arrangement and find a wealthy sponsor to fix up just one building - maybe bring the record shop back or something like that. Want me to call Oprah?

The festival, the car shows, Tomato Head, and many more yet unplanned events can bring the interest to Maryville or any small town with a wonderful history and still-standing buildings that pay tribute to that history.

And, pdq, I really don't think it is just us baby-boomers who have this desire to preserve the past or restore the old structures and feeling of grandeur that once was. I have read so many posts of all age groups and there does seem to be a common theme. Most don't desire to change or modernize or bring anything "up-to-date". It seems the majority of our posters love TN and its towns for its history, culture, warm hospitality and love of all things that grow from Tennesseans. I hope that is all saved and nurtured and it can start with one tip of the balance in the restoring of one old neglected building or store front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,240,213 times
There are some towns in East TN that are restoring and preserving there downtowns and updating at the same time. Has anyone been to Kingsport in the past year? They are doing a great job of it. For years it was kind of a ghost town, now almost all the store fronts are full, people all around and business is good.
Now pdq, don't get upset with me because I threw something positive in here, I am just really impressed with Kingsport and what they have done.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,099,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
There are some towns in East TN that are restoring and preserving there downtowns and updating at the same time. Has anyone been to Kingsport in the past year? They are doing a great job of it. For years it was kind of a ghost town, now almost all the store fronts are full, people all around and business is good.
Now pdq, don't get upset with me because I threw something positive in here, I am just really impressed with Kingsport and what they have done.
That's terrific to know, mbmouse. I think more and more people are beginning to realize what treasures they have right under their noses. They are becoming more active with preserving and revitalizing the old and giving the next generation a feeling of town history and pride in the bargain.

This is a win-win situation as far as I can see. I am not an expert in the field of preservation or historical sites, but I do know that I, and many others, appreciate them when we see them still standing and being used. And, I think we do ourselves a great favor to keep imbedded in our towns a part of the good-old-days because they are so hard to grasp for younger people today. They are still memories to many of us, but only stories that we tell to young people.

Hooray, Kingsport!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM

113 posts, read 332,094 times
Getting a little behind - very interesting comments. Letters to the Editor, contact the Chamber of Comerce, City Planners to see what is in the plans and how to move forward? Thanks for keeping the good vibes going.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times
Since we are looking to go to Maryville this info has been very helpfull! The only hesitation that we are now having is the drought and how bad it is. I just watched where lake Lanier and Altoona are forcasted to be empty by next summer if the drought continues (and that's the prediction) and that there's a water ban in effect.
Is it that bad around Maryville? I'd hate to move to an area only to run out of water....
I know, sounds alarmist or silly and that no one can really predict the weather 100% of the time but honestly how bad is it there now?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,054,160 times
Water levels still wavering : Unknown : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,343,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Since we are looking to go to Maryville this info has been very helpfull! The only hesitation that we are now having is the drought and how bad it is. I just watched where lake Lanier and Altoona are forcasted to be empty by next summer if the drought continues (and that's the prediction) and that there's a water ban in effect.
Is it that bad around Maryville? I'd hate to move to an area only to run out of water....
I know, sounds alarmist or silly and that no one can really predict the weather 100% of the time but honestly how bad is it there now?
Bad. The worst it has been here (Maryville), they say, in over 100 years. We are setting another heat record again today in the Knoxville area. We should be getting cooler weather starting tomorrow though.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 AM

113 posts, read 332,094 times
The News showed pictures to go with the wording about inserting another pipe to draw from the river...but it did not look like a river.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsndogs View Post
I have been involved in threads talking about Knoxville, Maryville, Crossville and a few other places. Just want to say this is a fabulous way to get to know the area better or at all and especially:...Appreciate people here willing to really try answering the kinds of questions otherwise asked face to face. What is quite valuable to those from out of the areas is getting different perspectives. Moving to a whole new place can often be life changing or at minumum-fairly stressful...young or old. After the big move it takes a while to get seated in...this is like having a few friends come by to offer encouragement and valuable advice. Thank you.
Actually, I think people in Tennessee in general are nicer people. I live in Florida and people here are so rude. We have property in Dandridge and everytime I've gone there I am amazed at how polite and pleasant the people are. I know that this is were we belong and I just cant wait to be there permanently.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM

32 posts, read 69,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdillon View Post
Actually, I think people in Tennessee in general are nicer people. I live in Florida and people here are so rude. We have property in Dandridge and everytime I've gone there I am amazed at how polite and pleasant the people are. I know that this is were we belong and I just cant wait to be there permanently.
Yeah I know what you mean. I live in West Palm Beach and even the immigrants are snobs. Some ppl are amazed on how nice and polite I am, but Im a native! So theres still some nice ones out there.....ya just gotta look. Thankfully I have 4 months to go before I leave this humid state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville