Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,588 times

Advertisements

Is it pretty hard to get in at these places? Do u pretty much have to know someone there to get you in? What about someone who is relocating from another state? What are their chances? I would imagine they hire locals if they can.
I wouldn't think Denso as much as Scripps you would need some kind of experience with broadcasting, or a degree of some sort.
I have looked on both the Denso, and Scripps website for employment and it looks like they have jobs available, just wondering what my chances would be in getting in one of those places. Anyone have any experience with theses places at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,267 times
I know several people that work at both. First let me say working at Denso will take some adjustment unless you're used to that type of factory conditions. Every person that I know or have talked to that has worked there says it's mind-numbing at best. The local HGTV is mainly standard office work. Most of the real world stuff takes place in LA and others. It does help to know someone. I know several people there and one with an upper management position but I still wouldn't want to work there. That's just me though, many people like it. Ever see the movie "Office Space"? Enough said. If you don't have a degree you probably won't get a job at HGTV. Even many of the standard paper shufflers there have degrees for the most part. Lot's UT grads go straight there after college to gain some experience for their resume.

About jobs being posted on their websites, etc. All companies do that, many times it's just a PR move. I know a manager at Home Depot, he says that they post job openings and have interviews many times a year. They do employee a good number of people but they're main interest is looking active in the community and on the record there are a lot of people that work in each store. Problem is many of them only work a few hours a week, some only one day per week. The store still gets to boast 250 employees or whatever the number when you might only have 50 actual fulltime employees that make a living wage. So many of their employees have second jobs.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
To quote those that have gone before me: "Nothing to see here folks, move along."

Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
I interviewed with Scripps a day or two after I moved here, and even though they were very personable and willing to give me the impression they liked me a lot, I didn't get so much as a 'thank you for trying' letter. Seems to be a nice crowd, and the location on Northshore is excellent. But I'm not sure they are the most professional lot.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 AM

7 posts, read 33,885 times
I've talked to two people that work at Scripps and they indicated that there is a hiring freeze. Not sure if that's true, but its probably the reason why it's so hard to get hired. It seems like I've applied at every possible company and its even hard to get an interview. Any suggestions on places to look for jobs?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
pdq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangomar View Post
I've talked to two people that work at Scripps and they indicated that there is a hiring freeze. Not sure if that's true, but its probably the reason why it's so hard to get hired. It seems like I've applied at every possible company and its even hard to get an interview. Any suggestions on places to look for jobs?
What type of jobs are you looking for and what is your expertise, degree, etc? Do you already live in Knoxville?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 33,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
What type of jobs are you looking for and what is your expertise, degree, etc? Do you already live in Knoxville?
I have a degree in corporate communications. I'm looking for a full-time job in communications or marketing that doesn't involve selling. I would be willing to take an office or project management position. I also spent many years work for a non-profit association so that may be a possibility too. I moved to Knoxville the end of August. May take a temporary retail seasonal job till something comes up.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
pdq

Hi Tangomar,

Well you'll have no problem getting a retail job at this time of the year. Expect somewhere in the $8-9 a hour range. Once they see you have management qualities they may up it a bit and of course bleed you dry of your management qualities (at a fraction of what you're worth).

I do wish you the best, if consider Nashville, Charlotte, Raliegh, or Atlanta, you'll walk straight into a great position. Knoxville has few opportunities for non-sales communications or marketing.

Best of luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Me thinks pdq is not wanting anyone to move to TN? hahahahha
Tangomar, make many copies of your resume, put it on line with the major employment search sites and maybe talk with some employment recruiting agencies. Anyone willing to work, has the qualifications and is willing to accept the pay offered can find a job. It may not be your dream job, but there are jobs here in East TN for those willing to work. Good luck and keep us informed as to how it goes.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
pdq

Hey mbmouse,

No old pdq is just a realist. I've talked with many people who have these wonderful ideas of a east Tn Utopia, they move here and can't find any decent work. Stuck in a new town and facing a $9/hr job is never pleasant. There are many people, myself included that make very good money here in Knoxville, many of us have created our own careers. If you are moving here and aren't a professional of some type, you will probably be faced with a very poor job outlook. Just want no surprises. Don't complain to pdq when you are in a dead-end job. All that said, I do wish the best to you all.

Last edited by pdq; 10-14-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville