U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM

47 posts, read 148,211 times

Advertisements

I currently live on the south coast in MA where I have lived all of my life. After doing a lot of research into houses and where I could afford to buy my own place I am really liking the idea of moving to TN. I like the idea of a warmer climate. i HATE the winters here and I want hotter summers. And it is so much cheaper than New England. I've heard it is much more laid back as well.

I am planning on moving in 5 years when I've had time to pay off my truck and put money aside for a down payment. The company I work for has a store in West Knoxville so I would be able to transfer and have work and I can always look into another job in the future. I work retail and have for the last 15 years and plan to stay in that area. I plan to take a few trips to the Knoxville area over the next few years before moving.

Is anyone from Ten Mile? Kingston or areas in between or around Knoxville within a 45 minute radius? How is the area? Places to walk, hike, swim? I love doing things outdoors and want a house with some mountain or scenic views. What are the trash options? I'd rather haul it myself to a landfill and am interested on cost? High speed cable internet in the area? Taxes? Anything else I should know moving into the state? (i know there is no state income taken out of checks, but there is over a 9% tax on purchases)

I've been looking into buying a newer (1997 or newer) doublewide on 2-5 acres where I can bring my pony and eventually buy another horse. I've found several places in my price range which I hope will be the case when I move in 5 years.

I'm working on doing all of my research now and over the next few years so that when it comes time to move I'm fully prepared.

Any info anyone can provide me is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Corrie~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM

22,576 posts, read 49,740,504 times
I'm from Mass. Lived there 34 years. I love it here. Yes, the sales tax is high but I'll tell you what, when all is said and done we are last in the nation for tax burden. True story. http://taxfoundation.org/ You see we have low property tax rates and TN doesn't stick its people with sneaky little taxes here and there, like excise tax for example.

I'm from a small town in Mass and thought I'd want a small town in Tenn but as it turned out the small towns are very, very rural and the cities seem more like very large towns. I rented out in Knox County in a very rural area but ended up moving into the city limits. Take a drive down and see what you think although living here is when you will really see what I mean. By the way, I am from a small town south of Worcester so I am not use to the big city.

In the city limits the trash is picked up for you but you pay higher taxes for that. In the county you can contract someone to do that for you or take it to the nearest county facility.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Looking at the population of Knoxville it looks to be about the size of Providence, RI which I go through all the time so I don't think working in West Knoxville will be a problem for me. I currently live in Westport, MA on the south coast where I've lived all my life. It's a farming community we have about 17,000 people here. Our taxes are lower here in Westport (compared to the rest of the state), but they aren't great. I rent a house with 1.42 acres built in the 1800s and taxes are about $2000/yr and rising. I see places in TN with 3-5+ acres and people are paying $200-$500!

So no excise tax sounds good. I definitely have to check out the surrounding communities to be certain where I'd want to live, but have been looking in all areas around knoxville.

How is the car insurance down there? I pay about $80 a month for an 04 Dakota Quad cab PU. We have emissions tests every other year. I've heard they also have emissions in TN, but only some counties? Not sure if I heard that correctly.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,112,655 times
Ten Mile is about a 45 minute drive into Knox and the Watts bar lake is growing and car insurance is about the same, maybe a little less here.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,064,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarragansettPark View Post

How is the car insurance down there? I pay about $80 a month for an 04 Dakota Quad cab PU. We have emissions tests every other year. I've heard they also have emissions in TN, but only some counties? Not sure if I heard that correctly.
That's right. Knox county isnt one that requires a check (I dont think.) Although, IMO, we should have them statewide.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 PM

I was surprised they weren't mandatory everywhere. I guess because I'm so used to them in MA that I expected most places would have emissions in place.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM

6,057 posts, read 9,770,159 times
I'm guessing you'll be working in Turkey Creek so the rural communities west of Knoxville are your best bet. Ten mile seems a bit far away - see if you can find something closer. Kingston or Lenoir city areas perhaps.

Last edited by creeksitter; 09-04-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM

22,576 posts, read 49,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarragansettPark View Post
I was surprised they weren't mandatory everywhere. I guess because I'm so used to them in MA that I expected most places would have emissions in place.
Wait. You are so use to government bossing you around and demanding things - mostly money - that you will be surprised. Throw everything you thought about a state out the window. We are dead last for taxes but if you stick to a good municipality like Knoxville you will get great cops, fire department, parks, greenways, schools (that matters to everyone whether they realize it or not.)

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,064,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We are dead last for taxes but if you stick to a good municipality like Knoxville you will get great cops, fire department, parks, greenways, schools (that matters to everyone whether they realize it or not.)
Best line on City Data all week. Thats a fact that should be considered by everyone when they move even if theyre retired, or young professionals without kids, empty nesters, etc.

With a well educated work force, companies will look at the city for relocation, expansion, and future growth potential. Its a win-win for the community overall.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM

I am actually one of the few people that doesn't have to worry about schools because I'm single, have no kids and I have never wanted kids. I prefer having animals. Ha haa.

Work wise I'd be working near the mall. The company I work for is off Morrell Rd.

I have a budget of $70k to spend. Is that reasonable for the area for a newer double wide with 1.5-3 acres? Anyone know good towns that are not far from knoxville 30 minutes to 45 tops that allow a horse and pony and have a little land.

I really need to get out to TN so I can see for myself. I'm realizing there is only so much research I can do online.

Can anyone tell me when the leaves start changing in the Knoxville area? And when milder winter temps start such as 60 degree days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville