Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 AM

8,375 posts, read 8,589,909 times

Advertisements

I have heard some good things about Hardin Valley. I assume it is an unincorporated area. Is it going to stay that way?

Any area like it or better in south Knoxville?

What would you consider the quietest / most wooded / even semi-rural areas within 20 miles of downtown?

I've been going thru the old threads but would appreciate any new tips as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Hardin Valley is just a section of Knoxville, an area. There are several areas like this that are usually called by their prominent street. For instance, Cedar Bluff, Northshore. They are not really communities.

There are lots of sem-rural area about 10 to 20 minutes out of Knoxville, mostly to the north, east and south of the city. But even west of the city there are large pockets of wooded, quieter areas. Just because Kingston Pike is busy it may seem like all of West Knoxville is built-up but it really isn't. It just seems that way to locals because they remember it as a lot of farmland not that long ago.

By the way, Hardin Valley is not that over-built as well, with pockets of undeveloped land.

Really, Knoxville needs to be visited to really understand how "uncity-like" it is.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I like the low-density but yes I need to see and feel it directly. I used to go thru there several times a year, but always just passing thru and it was a long time ago. Trying to learn what I can by internet right now and might visit later in the year.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I like the low-density but yes I need to see and feel it directly. I used to go thru there several times a year, but always just passing thru and it was a long time ago. Trying to learn what I can by internet right now and might visit later in the year.
I did the same thing before I moved in 2005. There wasn't a CD forum but I incessantly researched until I had a chance to visit. I really wanted nothing to do with city living. I was a small town gal from the northeast and after living in Florida and their fast pace I wanted a small town feel. So I rented just north of Powell. The area is very rural but you can be in downtown Knoxville in about 15 to 20 minutes. After awhile I realized that Knoxville isn't very "city-like" although it now has a pretty fun downtown and I hated being so far from everything the city had to offer so I bought a house in the city limits.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I have heard some good things about Hardin Valley. I assume it is an unincorporated area. Is it going to stay that way?

Any area like it or better in south Knoxville?

What would you consider the quietest / most wooded / even semi-rural areas within 20 miles of downtown?

I've been going thru the old threads but would appreciate any new tips as well.
Hardin Valley is located outside of the city of Knoxville and is not located in either Knoxville's or Farragut's urban growth boundary. This means that, in theory at least, it will never be annexed into either Knoxville or Farragut. So for at least the forseeable future Hardin Valley will remain an unincorporated area.

There are some gloriously secluded areas in East Knox County that make you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. Check out the Kimberlin Heights area (Kimberlin Heights Rd., Huffaker Ferry Rd., Seven Islands Rd.) and the Peters Mill area (Kodak Rd., Curtis Rd., Smith School Rd.). Those areas are filled with mountains, valleys, farms, forests, and not much else. It's one of my favorite areas to take a Sunday drive, especially in the fall. It's hard to believe that it's within Knox County and only 15-20 miles from downtown Knoxville.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, here are some images of this area:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/...46fc3a4e25.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL164.../379399329.jpg
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ep...-tennessee.jpg

Johnson Bible College (a small college located in the Kimberlin Heights area). I'm posting this only so you can see what the countryside is like, not because I'm recommending the college.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...campus2002.jpg

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Great info as usual, JMT. I will add that those sort of views can be had in the north, south and west as well. It is one of the very neat features of Knoxville.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks JMT for the follow-up, very specific reply on locations and pics. Kimberlin Heights is the kind of fairly near in area I was looking for. I will research further.

I will press my luck and ask a few other questions.

How tough is the traffic going into the Smokies N.P. on weekends? I did not like having to go thru Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg when I used to visit the Smokies long ago. Has it changed much in the last 10-20 years? Are roads like Rich Mtn and Greenbriar good alternatives to get into the park with less traffic and crowds? Your favorite access road from north of the park?

Anybody have any reactions to the comparison of Knoxville to Austin, Texas? I see the surface case for the writer's comment but I wondered how locals react to it. Is Knoxville changing in that direction fairly fast or does it feel more like a crawl? If you think the comparison to Austin is too big of a stretch, what other city do you think is closer overall?

What would you say is the most surprising or misunderstood part of the current Knoxville reality for outsiders?

How do you feel about the air quality? Has it been getting worse? Is it worse in summer or winter?

Thank for any additional replies.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-16-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville