Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM

22 posts, read 125,087 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are looking into moving to Tennessee from northern Ca. We live in a small town in the foothills-somewhat touristy but overall small and quiet. We are at about 4500-4700 ft. and get a good amount of snow which we love. We have been looking into the Sevierville area but I am not impressed by the poor reviews I've been reading. Is there a quieter area with a country feel that would be good to check out? My husband would be transfering to the Knoxville branch of his company. I am also curious about average rent amounts. We will be looking for a 3 bedroom house or manufactured that takes pets. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been doing research but am finding big differences in rental prices. Of course I want a decent area, we have 2 yong children. One more big Question...I am wondering how interracial relationships are viewed. Not to stereotype the south, I just want my children(being biracial) to be accepted for themselves without any major problems over race. I am aware that there are good people everywhere and I have always been fortunate enough to find more of them than the others. Just wondering if anyone has any insights that may be helpful. Input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 AM

37,757 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Joel View Post
Hello, my family and I are looking into moving to Tennessee from northern Ca. We live in a small town in the foothills-somewhat touristy but overall small and quiet. We are at about 4500-4700 ft. and get a good amount of snow which we love. We have been looking into the Sevierville area but I am not impressed by the poor reviews I've been reading. Is there a quieter area with a country feel that would be good to check out? My husband would be transfering to the Knoxville branch of his company. I am also curious about average rent amounts. We will be looking for a 3 bedroom house or manufactured that takes pets. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been doing research but am finding big differences in rental prices. Of course I want a decent area, we have 2 yong children. One more big Question...I am wondering how interracial relationships are viewed. Not to stereotype the south, I just want my children(being biracial) to be accepted for themselves without any major problems over race. I am aware that there are good people everywhere and I have always been fortunate enough to find more of them than the others. Just wondering if anyone has any insights that may be helpful. Input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How old are your kids so people (not me, I don't have any kids) can give you some ideas about schools?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Schools really are not an issue for me. I have been home schooling my son(8) since kindergarten. My daughter is 2 and I plan to do the same with her. I would ,however, like an area that has an active cub scout pack. My son is in his third year of scouts. He is also in his fourth year of soccer. Is there a youth soccer league? The league he is in now is not competitive, more just for fun. I will also be looking for a good martial arts studio. I would love to find a dojo that teaches Jujitsu, as he has been studying for over 3 years and loves it. I don't mind if I have to drive 20-30 minutes from where we end up living for some of these activities. I live in a more rural area now and have to drive about that far down the hill for any real shopping, errands, activities. I don't go to the mall often as that is about 1 1/2 hours away. I would love to find another country setting with lots of beautiful trees(like here) but be close enough to a town for all the basic needs and social activities(especially for the kids). Would the Maryville area be a possible candidate. Oh, and it has to be close enough for my husband to reasonably commute to Knoxville where he will be working. If anyone has info. and or ideas I would love to hear. Thanks Much!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,640,878 times
I'd look in Knoxville.
Kid soccer is very popular here, there are a lot of leagues, including traveling teams. The city/county maintains a lot of fields and there's a big US Cellular (?) complex for tournaments. (I don't have a soccer kid, but I needed to find a park to hold a plant swap in the fall. Most were overrun with soccer players.)
The boy scouts are active. I know there's a Scout House in Fountain City park. I'm sure there are more around.
Echota District - Scouting in East Tennessee - Knoxville, TN (broken link)
There's a lot of martial arts instruction around, too.
A lot of people home school here. You won't have a problem finding what you need and I think your son will be very happy here.
I'd suggest the West Hills area of Knoxville. It's a 1960s suburb with big houses on big lots. A huge YMCA is there and it would be a quick trip to the malls and a wide variety of shopping. A lot of kid stuff would be within walking distance. Fountain City and Holston Hills would also be good, older neigubors. All of these have tree lined streets, big lots and would have more of a country feel than you would expect.
All would be a short commute for your husband.
Maryville would also be good for you. Or far west Knoxville/Farragut. Powell is a newer suburb to the North of Knoxville.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Thankyou Knoxgarden and LauraC for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville