Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times

Advertisements

Right now my wife and I have Knoxville near the top of our list of places we might want to move to, after we leave Florida (which won't be soon enough. Even in October it is almost getting up to 90 degrees some days)

Anyway, we want to make a trip, probably around late December/early January, to see if we are interested in the city.

There are three areas we are interested in:
  • Knoxville (specifically the Old North, Parkridge, Lincoln Park/Oakwood neigborhoods)
  • Maryville (which seems appealing because of the greenway and because it is half way between Knoxville and the mountains)
  • The Townsend area (which seems appealing because it is basically IN the mountains)
1.) I would like recommendations on restaurants in the three areas I mentioned: Knoxville, Maryville, and Townsend. We like food that is fresh/local/seasonal, but also like southern food, and would also be interested in a good meat-and-three type place. Overall I would be interested in restaurants that are unique to each area, places that are unique to Knoxville or the best of the area. Also I would be interested to hear if there are any good breweries in the Knoxville area, or bars where I could get really good beer.

2.) What are some recommendations in particular of things to do for the three areas I mentioned, to get a sense of if I would like to live there? Each place seems appealing in its own way, for different reasons. However I have never been anywhere in Knoxville other than driving past it on the interstate once.

3.) What is a good place to go hiking in the Smokies near Townsend? I have been to Cades Cove and liked it, but I am interested in avoiding crowds. Also are there any good places to camp in that area? I am interested in both private campgrounds and ones in the national park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 05:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I can tell you this, you are visiting during the quietest part of the year. I doubt you will find crowds, even at Cades Cove. It will probably be deader than a door nail. Things to do? There is not much of anything going on at that time of year. Even my "go to" event - Farmer's Market at Market Square on Saturdays - is packed up for the year. And it is the most depressing time of year with it being colder and all of the leaves and flowers gone.

Don't get me wrong, I love living here. But this would not be the time of year I would show around a newbie. However, to me even the worst day in Knoxville is better than the best day in Florida. Friendly people and better opportunities always win out.

I will say that Knoxville has greenways, too, 63 miles of them last I checked.

City of Knoxville - Greenways

Parks & Recreation - Knox County Tennessee

I would certainly suggest visiting Market Square and Gay Street in downtown Knoxville. If you love seafood I strongly urge you to go to Shuck.

Shuck Raw Bar & Ale | Knoxville Seafood

Unique to our area - and if you are into nature - you might want to visit Ijams Nature Center. Ijams Nature Center

Go down to Volunteer Landing on the river. Calhoun's has a very coveted spot on the river but the food usually runs the gamut from mundane chain-style food to God-awful. http://www.outdoorknoxville.com/about

Also take a drive down Kingston Pike, headed west through Sequoyah Hills. Take a left on Cherokee and enjoy the stately homes and the park on the river. City of Knoxville - Sequoyah Greenway

Decent meat-and-three type places would be S&S Cafeteria, just past Sequoyah in Bearden. (Kinda, sorta. It's really just an old timey cafeteria with good old Southern cooking.) Not too far from there is Wright's where all of the local politicians hang out. If you need electing this is often your first stop. Many a campaign has kicked off here, including runs for governor. Wright's Cafeteria Many also swear by Chandler's Deli. It is situated in the "bad" part of town but coming from Florida you will probably not find it frightening. I'm from Florida and I didn't. ChandlersStore.com

Also in Bearden is a unique and locally owned barbecue joint that is quite popular. Dead End BBQ - Knoxville, TN

You might want to take a trip further down Kingston Pike to see the extent of our shopping which reaches a crescendo at Turkey Creek. Just beyond that is a nice town called Farragut. Newer stock of homes but pretty.

Bear in mind that the farther west you go the closer you are to the less crowded Cumberland Mountains. A lot of folks don't realize that the Smokys are not the end all and be all around here. We are surrounded by beauty in all directions.

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-14-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
If you like Knoxville in the winter you will love it in the other seasons. What length of a hike (round trip) are you looking for?

Cades cove compground is open year round. But there's not electricity. Walking the loop in the full moon is great if you can time your trip for that.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
Thanks for the suggestions hiknapster! That certainly helps...

Shuck sounds like a really nice restaurant.

I've lived in western North Carolina during the winter so I'm aware that it will be a bit dreary and possibly cold. But I think that sounds almost exotic coming from Florida. I actually miss the cold somewhat since moving down here.

I did not know Knoxville had a nature park so close to the city center, or that it had greenways. Also I did not know about the Cumberland mountains to the west. It is sounding better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If you like Knoxville in the winter you will love it in the other seasons. What length of a hike (round trip) are you looking for?

Cades cove compground is open year round. But there's not electricity. Walking the loop in the full moon is great if you can time your trip for that.
I think we would be up for a hike as long as 6 or 8 miles one way, or even more... But would be up for a shorter hike as well. We would be interested in hiking up to see a view, or to a waterfall, along a river, or through an old growth forest.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post

I think we would be up for a hike as long as 6 or 8 miles one way, or even more... But would be up for a shorter hike as well. We would be interested in hiking up to see a view, or to a waterfall, along a river, or through an old growth forest.
Have you hiked the Abrams Falls trail yet? It's off of the Cade's Cove loop and the trail is 2.5 miles (5 miles round trip). I hiked it about two weeks ago and it wasn't too crowded, even saw a young black bear. There's a beautiful waterfall at the end.

I stopped at a restaurant called Bubba's Country Cookin, about halfway between Townsend and Pigeon Forge. Nothing fancy, but it was pretty good.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
My favorite low traffic loop trail is Lead Cove/Bote mountain/Finley Cane. It is about a 6 mile loop- if you are more ambitious you can go up Bote mountain all the way to the top before backtracking to continue the loop. Great views but no waterfalls.

A very unique short trail is white oak sinks - if there is a recent rain you'll see a waterfall drop into a cave. White Oak sinks is not an official trail but you should be able to find it on line. 1.8 miles each way. When you get to the valley the fork to the right goes to the waterfall.

These are both on the road to Cades Cove.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM

57 posts, read 96,939 times
1, Central Flats and Taps is a new Favorite of mine. Knoxville has a great Micro-Brewery scene. Central Flats & Taps | BEER. LIQUOR. FOOD.
2, North Knoxville is central to basically everything: Downtown, Hiking, non-chain restaurants, etc...
3, There are many areas to hike that are not filled with people: Sharps' Ridge, House Mountain, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville