U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,382 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to this site but am finding it very helpful. My husband and I would like to move to East Tennessee this summer. Our daughters will be 4 and 3 months at the time of the move (however, we plan to homeschool so school districts don't factor significantly into our decision). We are looking for a small, country town not too far from either Knoxville or Gatlinburg. My husband is a kitchen manager/cook and I stay home with my daughter. With that being said, we are by no means a "wealthy" family and are looking for an area with inexpensive, safe housing. We spend a lot of time outdoors and my husband is a huge fisherman! Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 87,858 times
You may want to consider the Dandridge area. It is a small town with relatively inexpensive housing, it's safe, it's rural (but close enough to the interstate to get to Knoxville within about 30 minutes), and it has a lake for fishing. It is in Jefferson County, and about 30 minutes north of Gatlinburg (depending on traffic, and knowing the backroads). I would recommend having a job or a couple of very good leads on a job before making the move. I like Dandridge, but the high school is overcrowded, so I live in Sevier County for my kids. Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Thank you for your reply. I was actually drawn to the Dandridge area when we started planning the move for the same reasons you mentioned. Do you happen to know if restaurant jobs are hard to come by in the area? We aren't opposed to commuting to the city if need be. We will have about 2 months to find jobs/housing once we arrive.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM

I couldn't begin to tell you about the restaurant jobs in Dandridge. They have the basic fast food places near the interstate, and a few mom and pop type places in downtown Dandridge. There are lots of restaurants in neighboring Sevierville (20-30 minute drive or so), Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, and to a lesser extent, Morristown. I would imagine that an experienced cook or restaurant manager wouldn't have too hard of a time getting work in the touristy area of Pigeon Forge (but I would still have a couple of good leads lined up!).

As far as safety, there isn't really any "bad" areas. Even Knoxville has less than the usual "bad" areas of a similar size large town. Parts of Sevierville may suit you as well, if you stay off the Parkway (traffic can be horrible). I am thinking the Boyd's Creek community, or Seymour (that's where I live). I love it, but you have to drive a little to go fishing! The housing will probably be a little bit higher there as well.

There are good places to live all over this area. You may want to rent first, to get a feel for the area and see what you think.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM

Thank you so much for the information! He's been in the restaurant business for about 17 years. That's the good thing about it; you can find a job almost anywhere. We moved from Northern Michigan to Southern Florida about two years ago and are miserable living in the city! I have always loved Tennessee so we decided to take a chance on it before we give in and go back to Michigan. You information has been incredibly helpful

Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM

Thanks, and I wish you the best of luck in your move. Let us know if you need any more info.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Oh, I did have one other question. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that have a set monthly rate? We will be staying in our motorhome until we find jobs and housing.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 24,084,697 times
Experienced or not, cooking jobs may not be that easy to find, at the salary you may need.
I REALLY suggest you try to secure employment before you move here in a motor home with two little ones. Unless you have a pretty good savings to carry you until you can find a job.
Have you visited the Knoxville area and looked around to make sure it is a good fit for you?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Thank you for the concern. We have visited the area several times over the last decade but never for very long. Mostly just passing through. We loved it. We seriously considered moving to the area before we settled on Florida but decided not to due to not having any family there. Even having family in Florida makes it unbearable, so we're giving it a shot. We have enough in savings to pay several months of rent on a home in advanced but are choosing the motor home route so we can travel the areas and see which one works best for our family before we are trapped in a lease. It may not be the most typical (or sane) way for families to relocate but we are pretty adventurous and low maintenance :-)

Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 AM

4,678 posts, read 24,084,697 times
Sounds like you have a plan! Good luck with your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville