U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM

745 posts, read 1,633,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
You mentioned you have sad,we have lived here since August and found it rains a great deal and it is often cloudy and gray. but as far as the number of sunny days, it is somewhat better than Ohio, but probably not enough to make a difference.
Each year and season varies but I would suggest that the rainy and gray skies are predominantly in the winter and I would also suggest that is is "much better" than Ohio as to sunny days.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,179,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Each year and season varies but I would suggest that the rainy and gray skies are predominantly in the winter and I would also suggest that is is "much better" than Ohio as to sunny days.
I have to agree with Weisgarber. Each year is different as are each season. Ohio is in the north. Tn. is better then any parts North, to me in my humble opinion.
Pam

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

22,583 posts, read 52,052,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I have to agree with Weisgarber. Each year is different as are each season. Ohio is in the north. Tn. is better then any parts North, to me in my humble opinion.
Pam
Yes, anyone judging the past year has no idea what the norm is really like here. We've had seven more inches of rain than normal in the past year.

Knoxville's rainy 2012 contrasts with widespread drought | wbir.com

When I first moved here in 2005 we were in the middle of a drought that lasted quite awhile. Rarely did we see gray skies and frankly, rain was quite welcome at that point.

Regarding plays, I think there are a tremendous amount of offerings. In the past year I've seen Kiss Me Kate at the Clarence Brown Theater, Chicago at the Oak Ridge Playhouse and the traveling Broadway production of A Chorus Line at the Tennessee Theater. Those are not the only offerings, either. There is Theatre Knoxville, Tennessee Stage Company, the Knoxville Children's Theater, the Tennessee Valley Players and The Word Players. Our arts scene is incredibly vibrant for a city this size. I've been in larger metropolitan areas that had a fraction of what we have here.

Arts & Culture Alliance - Home

Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM

6,211 posts, read 10,706,421 times
I like Oodles on Market square, but there are lots of good restaurants and some good advice here if you search.

It's hard to pick a favorite nature walk but here are 3. The boardwalk at ijams, take the drive to the left at the entrance, park at the end and follow the signs. Ross Quarry at Ijams starts at a separate entrance a little fartehr south. It is pretty ho-hum for the first 1/2 mile but then you enter a circular walk through a most unusual and magical landscape. Another newly developed walk is the River bluff trail on Cherokee trail - park across from the water tower. When the trail splits, the route to the right will take you to an amazing vista, down to the left is a pond (or 2 if you go far enough).

Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM

4,693 posts, read 24,287,196 times
Food? Where do I start?
Nama for sushi
Mexican food...Senoir Taco, Soccer Taco, Meksico
Burgers...5 guys and Double Dogs or Were Cooking
There are so many places to eat around Knoxville, it really depends on the type of food you want.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,492 times
Hello,
And welcome to the South! You'll do well down here and you will find the people here will be glad to have you.
As far as the gloomy days, we may have a few dark ones, but never a gloomy day.
I lived on the east side of Dayton and now am back in the South for good. Believe me when I tell you there really is no good comparison, here is much better. We have a varied mix of ethnicities, races, religions and lifestyles 'round these heah parts and we all get along just dandy.
As for Knoxville, I don't particularly like it; the rush hour traffic is bad, the roads constantly (since 1956) undergoing what is euphemistically called construction and it seems everything is a bit pricey. I live about 45 minutes east in a small rural community called Talbott. We are near the medium sized town of Morristown. If you are concerned about overhead and competition, you may wish to look into M-Town. It’s growing and near the interstate and within an hour’s drive of Knoxville, Johnson City? Bristol and 1-1/2 hour to Asheville. It has a great infrastructure, low property taxes compared to Ohio, no personal income tax and lots of diversity.
Good luck and as we like to say, “Y’all come on down!”

Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM

745 posts, read 1,633,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Ison View Post
Hello,
And welcome to the South! You'll do well down here and you will find the people here will be glad to have you.
As far as the gloomy days, we may have a few dark ones, but never a gloomy day.
I lived on the east side of Dayton and now am back in the South for good. Believe me when I tell you there really is no good comparison, here is much better. We have a varied mix of ethnicities, races, religions and lifestyles 'round these heah parts and we all get along just dandy.
As for Knoxville, I don't particularly like it; the rush hour traffic is bad, the roads constantly (since 1956) undergoing what is euphemistically called construction and it seems everything is a bit pricey. I live about 45 minutes east in a small rural community called Talbott. We are near the medium sized town of Morristown. If you are concerned about overhead and competition, you may wish to look into M-Town. It’s growing and near the interstate and within an hour’s drive of Knoxville, Johnson City? Bristol and 1-1/2 hour to Asheville. It has a great infrastructure, low property taxes compared to Ohio, no personal income tax and lots of diversity.
Good luck and as we like to say, “Y’all come on down!”
Hmmmm.....you sort of sound like either a real estate agent or president of the Morristown Chamber of Commerce. To each his/her own, and not to be too critical of Morristown/Hamblen County, but Morristown has its share of problems, just like most other places and I wouldn't describe it as a medium-sized city. It is actually a small city.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

41 posts, read 128,992 times
Default Heading down Jan 12

Thank you for your posts and opinions! We will be down in Knxvl this weekend, we can't wait! We will be looking into all the neighborhoods you all have posted including Marysville. My husband is a massage Therapist and I am a spiritual counselor and into Energy Healing as well. We are attempting to find a middle of the road area where competition is not so dogged but the opportunity for growth is available. We are bohemian and nature lovers, I am a belly dancer, both are very laid back, spiritual but not religious. We are attending a spiritual group gathering Sunday to commune with like minded folks. I imagine we will be visiting often until our rental lease is up in June. So I will let you know how it went and please continue keeping us informed.
in Gratitude, Ren'ee

Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM

6,211 posts, read 10,706,421 times
Jerry, we do get some gloomy days and have just endured a 2 week stretch.

But this Saturday will be 72 degrees! Note that this is not typical except that it is typical to get some sort of a warm spell or two in the winter.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,492 times
Wrongo weisgarber!
I'm neither. I am an outdoors writer and web slinger. I just happen to have good taste and apprecoiate what I have.
I love where I live and while you say MTown has it's problems, I don't know of any such as pollution, high crime rate or infrastructure. Their budget may be stretched as is most municipalities these days.
People are friendly, lots of shopping & dining, cops courteous & professional and parking galore.
I chose to live here after living in may other places and with the exception of maybe Beverly Hills or Brentwood, could have located almost anywhere.
I like ET!
Be sweet,
J. Ison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville