U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM

4,693 posts, read 24,294,057 times

Advertisements

Anyone complaining about bad traffic in Knoxville has never lived in a city with bad traffic. While its all relative, Knoxville does not have bad traffic. At least not compared to many other cities.

I have been in bad traffic. I know bad traffic. I have LIVED bad traffic.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

2,966 posts, read 4,958,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Jerry, we do get some gloomy days and have just endured a 2 week stretch.

But this Saturday will be 72 degrees! Note that this is not typical except that it is typical to get some sort of a warm spell or two in the winter.
Enduring a 2 week stretch sounds like pure heaven Nothing compared to enduring 6 months up north.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM

880 posts, read 1,330,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Enduring a 2 week stretch sounds like pure heaven Nothing compared to enduring 6 months up north.
Aah but tomorrow from "weather.com":

A mix of winter precipitation in the morning will give way to a mixture of rain and freezing rain in the afternoon. High 37F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

I don't think we will see 72° on the weekend.

Sat: 41°/27°
Sunday: 46°/38°

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,068,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Aah but tomorrow from "weather.com":

A mix of winter precipitation in the morning will give way to a mixture of rain and freezing rain in the afternoon. High 37F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

I don't think we will see 72° on the weekend.

Sat: 41°/27°
Sunday: 46°/38°
It was 72 degrees two weekends ago. Monday the high will be 52 and Tuesday it will be in the 60s.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM

16,106 posts, read 30,961,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound10 View Post
Thank you for your posts and opinions! We will be down in Knxvl this weekend, we can't wait! We will be looking into all the neighborhoods you all have posted including Marysville. My husband is a massage Therapist and I am a spiritual counselor and into Energy Healing as well. We are attempting to find a middle of the road area where competition is not so dogged but the opportunity for growth is available. We are bohemian and nature lovers, I am a belly dancer, both are very laid back, spiritual but not religious. We are attending a spiritual group gathering Sunday to commune with like minded folks. I imagine we will be visiting often until our rental lease is up in June. So I will let you know how it went and please continue keeping us informed.
in Gratitude, Ren'ee
So, how was your visit? What are your thoughts after visiting?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 AM

41 posts, read 129,014 times
Hi All, sorry for the delay, as soon as we got back to Dayton, we got hit with snow snow...sigh...and another snow storm last night gave us 4 inches. Well, for the most part we enjoyed our visit. And YES it was warm! We went to the Market Square and ate at Oodles and our server Dawn was absolutely wonderful, gave us great service and good food and a map of the area with events happening. I drove from Boardwalk DT out to Fountain City which I liked the houses on the hill. We drove to Marysville...aint nothin happening there. Seiverville...um, too commercialized, but I imagine if you got out of the tourist trap area places were nice. We went into I think Sycamore housing very wealthy and pretty. We drove around Beardon which was the area I liked around Kingston Pike. We went into Wall Mart, Earth Fare, Krogers and just started talking to folks, all were friendly and receptive and helpful. I stopped at Chintzy Rose antique shop in Halls, very sweet. We went to Calahans on the Lake and we got a server from Austin, TX so we chatted up a storm and enjoyed the food, the service and the lake. I'm so happy it was warm so we could get out and enjoy the sites. The cost of living here is definitely a plus.
I don't know if we will move here....city itself seemed very industrial somehow...gray even though they are trying to brighten it up. I did enjoy the people. I am just concerned about how folks will receive our business Garden of the Goddess which is wholistic, metaphysical zen center. Also I looked everywhere for places that were commercial homes where we could live and have our little business in one place. I did not see any of that arrangement.
While I was driving I did think of you folks and wondered sometimes I wouldn't even know if I saw you somewhere.
We will visit again in Feb. March when it is warmer. I want to see more of the city, nature, parks and night life.
Thank you for your comments and encouragements.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 AM

ps. Barking Spider you have every right to defend Knoxville's traffic...it was frankly better than Dayton and safer. We just had a 18 vehicle pile up near Cincinnatti that was horrifying to see. Road signs were marked clearly, traffic was very easy considering the warm day. Hell I drove in Austin traffic for 3 months, absolutely terrifying!! So for anyone asking Knoxville is quite safe and fairly easy to navigate. Also that is one thing I noticed, Knoxvlle seems quite safe. Women were walking alone downtown...could never do that here in Dayton.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,180,621 times
Knoxville is safe for a female to walk alone. I do all the time. I've even sat after dark on Gay Street and people watched and felt quite safe.
Austinbound, thanks for coming back and updating us on your visit and sharing your impressions. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our fair city.
Pam

Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM

16,106 posts, read 30,961,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound10 View Post
Hi All, sorry for the delay, as soon as we got back to Dayton, we got hit with snow snow...sigh...and another snow storm last night gave us 4 inches. Well, for the most part we enjoyed our visit. And YES it was warm! We went to the Market Square and ate at Oodles and our server Dawn was absolutely wonderful, gave us great service and good food and a map of the area with events happening. I drove from Boardwalk DT out to Fountain City which I liked the houses on the hill. We drove to Marysville...aint nothin happening there. Seiverville...um, too commercialized, but I imagine if you got out of the tourist trap area places were nice. We went into I think Sycamore housing very wealthy and pretty. We drove around Beardon which was the area I liked around Kingston Pike. We went into Wall Mart, Earth Fare, Krogers and just started talking to folks, all were friendly and receptive and helpful. I stopped at Chintzy Rose antique shop in Halls, very sweet. We went to Calahans on the Lake and we got a server from Austin, TX so we chatted up a storm and enjoyed the food, the service and the lake. I'm so happy it was warm so we could get out and enjoy the sites. The cost of living here is definitely a plus.
I don't know if we will move here....city itself seemed very industrial somehow...gray even though they are trying to brighten it up. I did enjoy the people. I am just concerned about how folks will receive our business Garden of the Goddess which is wholistic, metaphysical zen center. Also I looked everywhere for places that were commercial homes where we could live and have our little business in one place. I did not see any of that arrangement.
While I was driving I did think of you folks and wondered sometimes I wouldn't even know if I saw you somewhere.
We will visit again in Feb. March when it is warmer. I want to see more of the city, nature, parks and night life.
Thank you for your comments and encouragements.
Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. I also appreciate your constructive comments on what you didn't find appealing. Great post!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM

What didn't I like about Knoxville...well I haven't given up on it yet, we will come for 2 more visits before June. Charleston is also in the running, but I am concerned about the cost of living factor there. For sure Knoxville has that one factor beat.
Park system: What I did not see that I wanted to see was parks. I could not find any on our routes. I am sure they were there some where. Dayton has a plethora of parks, one reason I have stayed, but not much else keeps me here.
People activity: I did not see much jogging, biking, walking in Knoxville, of just folks on the roads being out and about. Perhaps I did not find the neighborhoods where that was happening. I will search that out next time...or you can tell me where to go to find that lifestyle.
Pretty city: ahhh...I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I did not find Knoxville to be a pretty city...it is kind of grey and industrialized...pockets of stagnation. I know they are trying to brighten it up, so far they are doing a good job with Market Square.
Business prospects: this is the big one...you all were just voted "#1 Bible city" I am a Christian in my foundation, but have expanded into nondogma/ nondenominational. I am a spiritual counselor/ Reverend/ Meditation teacher/ yoga teacher and my husband is an Indian massage therapist/ other healing modalities. I just don't know if Knoxville will be supportive of what we offer.

I think I am looking for a more active city, nature oriented city where folks are out and about all the time seasonly, more open and accepting city, an affordable city (which rules out Ashville)......I will still visit and do my research.
What ever you can toss my way in encouragement or 'reality' is accepted and appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville